Player Discussion Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
We've got guys on LD who are pretty close.

He takes up a spot.

Theres no point in holding onto him.
I'm all for shuttling Staal at our first opportunity, but no one in Hartford is forcing management's hand.

A buyout or retention trade looks better the closer to the end of his contract we get. We're not a cap team yet, so who cares?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Plus people tend to forget that they were a legit top-pairing defensemen in the league.

When they actually played together on the top pairing in 2011, they got lit the f*** up. They signed their deals in 2014 and 2015 respectively. Both guys had declined at that point. McD was obv the stud and driver on the backend and Stralsy was pretty clearly the 2nd best blueliner on the team at that point.

They f***ed up so bad.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Plus people tend to forget that they were a legit top-pairing defensemen in the league.

They were. I think at the time they were offered and signed those contracts, they might have been just past their peak. They were rewarded in part for their loyalty and service. But they both have had precipitous drops, faster than normal, because of the wear and tear from the style they were made to play as well as some unfortunate injuries.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They ****ed up so bad.
Ok. One needs to view their play from back then with some unbiased lenses. Legit top pairing shut down defensemen. Which is why they got the contracts that they did. They just depreciated very quickly and were also playing in AV's so-called defensive system. In Stall's case, one can also not discount the eye injury.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They were. I think at the time they were offered and signed those contracts, they might have been just past their peak. They were rewarded in part for their loyalty and service. But they both have had precipitous drops, faster than normal, because of the wear and tear from the style they were made to play as well as some unfortunate injuries.
Thinking along the identical lines

Reactions: will1066

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I find it very hard to believe that there may NOT be a definite PO team, (or even bubble team) that cannot use Marc as an emergency 6/7 defenseman. Has great PO experience and normally is a very reliable defenseman.
If we retain half his salary, it wouldnt kill a team to acquire him, especially if thats all it costs them. Its a great "insurance policy", as every team entering PO's NEED that type of presence, especially if its a new team making the PO's. Maybe Buffalo? Carolina?
Or, an already solid defensive team with their top 4, yet a little "iffy" with thier 5/6 pairing.

Okay guys......now everyone has to like this,
maybe it will help.
I'm a loyal type Rangers fan, and only wants the best for Marc and his family. Maybe he can grab a ring with another team.
And would be equally happy for our RANGERS in that that spot will open up for another.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
When they actually played together on the top pairing in 2011, they got lit the **** up. They signed their deals in 2014 and 2015 respectively. Both guys had declined at that point. McD was obv the stud and driver on the backend and Stralsy was pretty clearly the 2nd best blueliner on the team at that point.

They ****ed up so bad.

I think this is accurate for Staal, but at the time we signed Girardi this board was mostly happy about it.

I went back and read the Girardi signing thread a few months ago, and there was literally only one person that was vocally negative towards the deal. It's probably not accurate to say that we viewed him as being clearly behind Stralman.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I find it very hard to believe that there may NOT be a definite PO team, (or even bubble team) that cannot use Marc as an emergency 6/7 defenseman. Has great PO experience and normally is a very reliable defenseman.
If we retain half his salary, it wouldnt kill a team to acquire him, especially if thats all it costs them. Its a great "insurance policy", as every team entering PO's NEED that type of presence, especially if its a new team making the PO's. Maybe Buffalo? Carolina?
Or, an already solid defensive team with their top 4, yet a little "iffy" with thier 5/6 pairing.

Okay guys......now everyone has to like this,
maybe it will help.
I'm a loyal type Rangers fan, and only wants the best for Marc and his family. Maybe he can grab a ring with another team.
And would be equally happy for our RANGERS in that that spot will open up for another.
Might be true in his last contract yr but now... he’s radiation poisoning

And he’ll have to keep playing this “Well” to get there.

I feel he’s bought out but now isn’t the time.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
He's gone from the hockey version of the Spanish Inquisition to a bad #7, so yeah, he's playing well :dunno:
Agreed. He' s only playing well compared with previous seasons. But, he's still by far our worst D that gets regular ice time.

He used to be one of our best PKers, but even that skill has eroded away, to the point that he's now one of our worst.

Quite frankly, it's amazing how he's managed to be the only D not scratched thus far. Either his leadership qualities are so important to the team that he can't be taken out of the lineup (unlikely), or Quinn really can't see how bad he truly is. He doesn't make "flashy" mistakes that other D do, but he consistently puts his teammates in a poor position with bad passes and chips up the boards. He's just constantly delivering possession back to the other team. Other D like DeAngelo, Pionk, and Shattenkirk, for all their flaws, attempt to make plays that put the opposing D on their heels.

Reactions: Machinehead

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Might be true in his last contract yr but now... he’s radiation poisoning

And he’ll have to keep playing this “Well” to get there.

I feel he’s bought out but now isn’t the time.
You just may be right.....guess i am hoping for the best.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Just wanted to put in a reminder that Staal lost most of his vision in one eye playing a game for a team you like to watch and root for. The lack of respect he gets on this board is ridiculous. He is not the player he once was and is over paid but the things people write on this board are just rude and childish, especially for a player that gave up his eye for your entertainment.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Staal will continue to be our worst defenseman (and probably player) this year and there's probably no way we don't play him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Just wanted to put in a reminder that Staal lost most of his vision in one eye playing a game for a team you like to watch and root for. The lack of respect he gets on this board is ridiculous. He is not the player he once was and is over paid but the things people write on this board are just rude and childish, especially for a player that gave up his eye for your entertainment.

It's not an attack on his character or who he is as a person.

Hes a horrible hockey player. People have a right to be upset with how he is used.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Staal is a solid bottom pairing guy at this point. Being away from AVs system will help since his mobility is obviously not what it was. Until one of the kids gets called up and takes his spot there is no reason to move him.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Staal had some good moments last year. He was better than the previous season before that. At the end of the day, he's an overpaid bottom pairing dmen who has no transition game and handles the puck like a grenade.

I have an enormous respect for him as a player though. He was a rock for us for a long time. He's been a leader for us and an absolute professional.

If I had it my way though... GoAwayStaal.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Staal is a solid bottom pairing guy at this point. Being away from AVs system will help since his mobility is obviously not what it was. Until one of the kids gets called up and takes his spot there is no reason to move him.

He was outplayed by Hajek in every game they skated together during the season and pre season. That spot should have been his from the get go but thats almost a year ago, no use to complain about it now. When it happens at camp again this year (be it Lindgren OR Rykov), He better be relegated to an extra D.

Also, the myth that Staal is a solid bottom pairing guy has been debunked.

2019 Report Card: Marc Staal

"Staal’s shortcomings include: a CF% of 43.15 (worst), a Rel CF% of -3.97 (second-worst), a GF% of 42.45 (third-worst), a Rel GF% of -5.02 (second-worst), an xGF% of 45.61 (second-worst), and a Rel xGF% of -1.77 (third-worst)."

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Staal on the bottom pair just means he's bad for less ice time per game.

He's the same god awful hockey player no matter where he is.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I stand up for Staal, when needed, but you make it sound like he stormed a beach to ensure our freedom.

The guy lost his eye playing a game for a massive salary. A game he's played his entire life and worked hard so he could make it to this level and play in the NHL.

He lost his eye earning the living he chose. You make the fans sound like we're watching gladiators.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
He was outplayed by Hajek in every game they skated together during the season and pre season. That spot should have been his from the get go but thats almost a year ago, no use to complain about it now. When it happens at camp again this year (be it Lindgren OR Rykov), He better be relegated to an extra D.

Also, the myth that Staal is a solid bottom pairing guy has been debunked.

2019 Report Card: Marc Staal

"Staal’s shortcomings include: a CF% of 43.15 (worst), a Rel CF% of -3.97 (second-worst), a GF% of 42.45 (third-worst), a Rel GF% of -5.02 (second-worst), an xGF% of 45.61 (second-worst), and a Rel xGF% of -1.77 (third-worst)."

Im all for him dressing 42 games and splitting time with one of the kids. I also dont care about your stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca