Player Discussion Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I agree.

Of course, one of the inherent risks when building a defense in today's NHL is that leaks can spring up pretty quickly.

As we've seen with Staal, Girardi and even Klein, a guy who isn't a concern one season can become a buyout candidate or a retiree pretty quickly in this time of transition in the NHL.

On the other hand I think one could say it wasn't wild to think that giving a contract into his mid 30's to a player like Girardi who takes so much punishment, or another to Staal, a guy with some major concussion issues in the past (can't remember if he had the eye injury before or after he signed his new contract) would end up being an issue down the road. The handy part with the way the current contracts are is that none of these guys take a ton of punishment or are signed into their mid 30's

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think the point is that a good LHD playing on the right side is better than a bad RHD playing on the right side, assuming that LHD is used to playing the right

Don't load up on bad RHD because you can't find any good ones and ignore good LHD that can play the right side.

Given the scarcity of the commodity that is a good RHD... it's doubtful that you see RHD playing the left.

Last example I can think of was Pietrangelo on Canada at the WCup.

But he's used to it, because during that time STL had him, Parayko, and Shatts on the right side.

Either way, I'd take the best player on the team... but if it's between two even players I'll take the strong side option...

If that option is a weak skater on the off-wing... I'd give the RH call-up a look.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'll be surprised if Pionk makes the straight jump. Truth be told, I'm really not sure Bereglazov doesn't go down to Hartford as well.

Right now, I don't see the team moving Holden until they are absolutely convinced that DeAngelo is going to play every day and that guys like Pionk, Bereglazov and even Graves are capable of filling in.

While there's certainly promise with this group of young defenseman, there's also the risk of a serious experience vacuum. If they moved Holden, this team is only one injury away from having half its defensive corps playing with less than 90 games of NHL experience each. You'd be talking about two sophmores - including one with only half a season of NHL experience, and a rookie.

That's a pretty tall order.

Bingo... there's not way they run with that level of inexperience on the back-end. They will need those kids to push their way into the line-up.

Graves... I think he's another year and change away... simply because of size... he needs to fill out a little more to play an effective game at the NHL... and really have a stretch of 60 games this year in the AHL where he's the number 1 guy.

Pionk and ADA... those are different beasts... I see Montour and Danny Boyle in their games... different types of players but hopefully they can make the jump.

To your point I highly highly doubt this coaching staff will ice an inexperienced line-up. This system is to complex for that.

But at-least there will be depth and competition. And that's much needed to implement a meritocratic system of accountability back there.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Given the scarcity of the commodity that is a good RHD... it's doubtful that you see RHD playing the left.

Last example I can think of was Pietrangelo on Canada at the WCup.

But he's used to it, because during that time STL had him, Parayko, and Shatts on the right side.

Either way, I'd take the best player on the team... but if it's between two even players I'll take the strong side option...

If that option is a weak skater on the off-wing... I'd give the RH call-up a look.

I don't see how this contradicts anything I said so I'll assume we're on the same page :)

e: as for the inexperienced lineup, it's interesting that we heard multiple people (I think MacKenzie and Friedman both) say that they thought the Rangers were going to go young and play their "kids" a lot more next season. Of course that was before the Shattenkirk signing, but it makes me wonder how much inexperience they are willing to tolerate on the back end. Ultimately though I think it comes down to the fact that it's unlikely you can move both Staal and Holden even if you wanted to. As for the system being too complicated, also will be interesting what they do with the defensive system with Ruff being brought in and there already some statements out there about "we'll look at the best way to use these guys and the system to run"

e2:

Vigneault said that he is more than open to adopting Ruff’s ideas regarding systems after the organization’s coaching staff meets during the first week of August.

“We’re all going to brainstorm and see what we should do to take advantage and get the most out of our personnel,” Vigneault said. “I’m very interested in Lindy’s ideas about how to play in the defensive zone. I think his defense has been one of the best in north-south play and in getting up into the play.

“We’re going to see what fits best for our group. There’s no doubt that [Kevin] Shattenkirk changes the dynamic for us,” Vigneault said of the free-agent signing. “I’m interested in seeing what [Anthony] DeAngelo, who we got in the trade with the Coyotes, can do.”

https://nypost.com/2017/07/10/vigneault-doesnt-mind-working-with-man-who-might-replace-him/

Hard to say how much is just talk but I do think we'll see some changes

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Like I said, Because JG can. If you give Staal his money, would he rather scout or coach or just stay at home. And what does Staal do after that, work on the Sod Farm? If Staal plays ball, he can set up his 2nd career.

This is ridiculous. You have absolutely no idea what his ambitions or career goals are. Just stop.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was watching one of the NYR videos they release on twitter of the Junior Ranger camp. DeAngelo was helping out at the camp and he was doing some kind of skating drill against the little kids and he was beating them easily, as you'd expect of a good NHL skater. I was watching that video wondering if Staal would beat those kids in a skating race. :laugh:

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Thought Staal was a great D who was destined to get his # retired. Injuries did him in.

I think with every concussion he got less and less physical..
+
Age hurt his wheels.
+
Puck to the eye has permanently hampered his vision
+
Mind couldn't adjust to speed of game vs his speed
=
Current Staal

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Injuries took away his legs, stamina and strength? Injuries didn't help him, but he needs to take some blame for his own decline.

No, but having 3-4 off seasons of not being able to train sure didn't help.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
how about the rangers make Marc Staal an offer. Marc retires and the Rangers give him a job in the organization for 4 years and 5.7 M a year. Marc comes off the cap, he learns the business. Rangers have enough $$$ to do this. How about this????

Sure, they have plenty of money. Dolan isn't hurting for money by any stretch. I think most hockey players tend to have a bit more pride, and I don't see him going for it. And why does he need to? He has a guaranteed contract with a clause. The organization made that commitment and now it's time to live up to it.

They're better off leveling with him and either asking him to waive his clause or get bought out (if that's the intent).

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Staal needs to go back to his darker visor. Robo-Staal was a better version.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Sure, they have plenty of money. Dolan isn't hurting for money by any stretch. I think most hockey players tend to have a bit more pride, and I don't see him going for it. And why does he need to? He has a guaranteed contract with a clause. The organization made that commitment and now it's time to live up to it.

They're better off leveling with him and either asking him to waive his clause or get bought out (if that's the intent).

This is true, the organization made that deal and he "doesn't have to". What should be recognized is......if they offered just a little bit MORE to stay in the organization, then why shouldn't he consider it? Why wouldn't he realize that maybe it's in HIS best interest (health) and actually more importantly for his "teammates" best interest.....if he laid down his stick for the last time. #teamlove

There is no trickery here......it is what it is. Cash in and do what is best for your team and for your (teams) fans.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Also......the league has passed him by, in a blink of an eye! Sorry.

I'm fairly certain bad luck and entropy did him in more than the league META.

A $5million playoff franchise opponent shutdown is a steal if they aren't a broken down mule.

Anyway, I feel bad for whoever is the next reason for all the problems after the move Staal or he retires after 2018

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think Staal has been pretty good this year and actually notably good the last couple weeks. I wonder if anything has changed for him. I am fine with him as a regular next year. Would even give him a letter.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Carolina needs to attempt to pry Marc away from us. They could use his experience and make at least 2 brothers happy to be playing together. I really see this happening, especially if we cover half his salary. now if they would only somehow part with Faulk or Hanifan for an unproven Gorgiev + whatever else......then we have a deal. Then again, we seem to be needing Gorgiev, but if that's what it takes.......#IamcrazyIknow

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I feel this needed to be bumped. Marc deserves a little credit for his play this year under Quinn. It’s pretty clear to me that Staal is an NHL defenseman still once he was pulled out of AVs man system.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
hes still bad.

slow. lumbering. flatfooted. hes still got reach and he can still defend some but he doesn't do anything quickly and that stick of his is where pucks go to die.

hes still bad.

Reactions: hi and jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->