Player Discussion Marc Staal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
In fact, Staal was historically bad on the PK in 18-19.

It was to the point where he took a penalty on the PK to put us 3v5 and I was like "this is a massive improvement."

For real.

I dont understand why some people always jump to his defense when he's been so horrific no matter what evaluation method you use. Staal sucking isn't something that just started to happen. He's almost been a bad defenseman in this league for as long as he has been a good one.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
First order of business for JD. Get Marc to retire. Pay him $$$ he loses as an assistant coach in Hartford. He was pretty good helping young Defenseman.

I doubt the league would allow that. It would be better for him to follow in the footsteps of Hossa/Callahan etc. and develop a "degenerative eye disease" so we can put him on LTIR.

Reactions: Dijock94

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Staal is going to be a fixture on the defense next season and be gushed about by coaching/management as a "steadying veteran influence for these young kids"

Its best to prepare oneself for this reality.

Reactions: Vitto79 and ponzu4u

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
What have you done for me lately. The amount of hate Staal and Girardi have gotten on these boards, two of the greatest D in Ranger history.
Thats what happens when you ripoff the team the fans support. These guys ask for waaaaay too much when they're getting contracts that take them late into their career and they dont retire when they can't hack it anymore. It's also in part bc the nhl is setup stupidly and the GMs gave out idiotic contracts one after another. I agree it's too much hate but I get why they catch some flak

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Should try to trade him (retained) to MIN. They have cap space and Fenton is a bad GM. They also do need help on the third pairing. Not that Staal actually helps it but the perception is that he does. He'd probably accept there as it's reasonably close to home and his brother plays there.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Respect the player and person, great guy, but his cap hit is really F’ing things up now, especially with the CK situation.

Reactions: haveandare

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
#18 is cooked. And he has been for a few seasons already. 2 more years of this remain...Unless he is traded out with an asset to go with it. Rangers are in a place where they can do that. Will they?

He gets $5 mil this season, so it's not a huge savings for a team if they take him.
He gets $4.2 mil next season. So that is a $1,500,000 saving from the actual cap hit. Would assume that if he gets traded it would be next year in the off season.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
What if a Dr. says he's unfit to play out the remainder of his contract? What does LTIR mean cap wise? Would he or could he do a Callahan or Hossa type deal?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What if a Dr. says he's unfit to play out the remainder of his contract? What does LTIR mean cap wise? Would he or could he do a Callahan or Hossa type deal?

Yeh it would be a Callahan/Hossa type of situation.

Unless he retires. I don't wish physical harm on the guy, so I hope they just buy him out or find some way to trade him.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Still shitting on Marc Staal and incapable of just being patient until the contract is up?

I will always respect and love Marc Staal. Guy gave an eye for the team. Not his fault we couldn't score when we had too (the last window), not his fault Sather threw money around crippled us against the cap. None of any of this is his fault.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The issue with keeping Staal is two-fold.

1. He makes everyone on his team worse. Even if thats for only 15 minutes a game, you're putting your team at a massive disadvantage for 25% of the game.
2. He is going to block better players.

It's not his fault, but he shouldn't be playing. He is not one of the 6 best defensemen in the organization.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I would imagine the league would see right through that - it's fairly blatant cap circumvention. Then again, I thought Hossa was blatant cap circumvention too, so what do I know?
This league sets the standard for cap circumvention. Staal need to get "intermittent temporary glaucoma" in his good eye between October and March of the next two year's.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Thats what happens when you ripoff the team the fans support. These guys ask for waaaaay too much when they're getting contracts that take them late into their career and they dont retire when they can't hack it anymore. It's also in part bc the nhl is setup stupidly and the GMs gave out idiotic contracts one after another. I agree it's too much hate but I get why they catch some flak

Players ask for what they want. A team can choose not to pay them. You're really blaming someone for asking for as much as possible?

Reactions: haveandare

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Players ask for what they want. A team can choose not to pay them. You're really blaming someone for asking for as much as possible?
You assume things too often and you have a bad habit of purposely framing things in a way that just misses a lot.

Blaming them for signing a contract they can't live up to and choosing to play it out when they know they can't live up to it?

Yea. They're multi millionaire adults. They can handle it if they get blamed for their decisions.

Do i UNDERSTAND their decision too? Yes

Am I furious that they won't pull a Naslund/Gil Meche? No.

But I also don't feel any particular need to sugar coat things when talking about past their prime overpaid adults who happen to suck at a sport now. I already mentioned the idiocy of the GMs and people giving out these contracts. I'm not spewing vitriol and venom at the guy. Im stating a fact that he sucks and is drastically overpaid to the point where he hurts the team by being on it.

If he chooses to continue then I don't see what's wrong with pointing out that he's a detriment

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Staal is going to be a fixture on the defense next season and be gushed about by coaching/management as a "steadying veteran influence for these young kids"

Its best to prepare oneself for this reality.

I have a confession... I only own one NYR jersey.... and its a Staal 18.

For that reason I hope he sticks around a litttle longer

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You assume things too often and you have a bad habit of purposely framing things in a way that just misses a lot.

Blaming them for signing a contract they can't live up to and choosing to play it out when they know they can't live up to it?

Yea. They're multi millionaire adults. They can handle it if they get blamed for their decisions.

Do i UNDERSTAND their decision too? Yes

Am I furious that they won't pull a Naslund/Gil Meche? No.

But I also don't feel any particular need to sugar coat things when talking about past their prime overpaid adults who happen to suck at a sport now. I already mentioned the idiocy of the GMs and people giving out these contracts. I'm not spewing vitriol and venom at the guy. Im stating a fact that he sucks and is drastically overpaid to the point where he hurts the team by being on it.

If he chooses to continue then I don't see what's wrong with pointing out that he's a detriment

You do realize that there's a country mile between "pointing out that he's a detriment" vs. being serious about a player leaving millions on the table just because he's getting older/is a detriment. The Rangers signed him to this deal. He's entitled to every dime.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
You do realize that there's a country mile between "pointing out that he's a detriment" vs. being serious about a player leaving millions on the table just because he's getting older/is a detriment. The Rangers signed him to this deal. He's entitled to every dime.

He is indeed, but he is also entitled to the grief that goes with it. That's just how it goes in sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad