Player Discussion Marc Staal Appreciation Thread

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
People who question why other players are tweeting accolades need to understand they're honoring the man, with whom they've spent time in dressing rooms, at team functions, in each others' homes and with each others' families. Yeah, his play sucked, you don't think they know too?

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I see a lot of talk about Staal's legacy and how good he was before the eye injury/decline, a big indictment is that the team wasn't much of a Stanley Cup contender until Ryan McDonagh supplanted him as 1LD.

Anyway, thanks for the service Marc.

Reactions: SA16
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
People who question why other players are tweeting accolades need to understand they're honoring the man, with whom they've spent time in dressing rooms, at team functions, in each others' homes and with each others' families. Yeah, his play sucked, you don't think they know too?
I'm not sure players necessarily think in terms of "his play sucked". I think there is a respect for the way guy carried himself, the body of work throughout his career and the command he had within the locker room. And under that criteria, players can't help but respect what Staal has done here.

Last edited:
Reactions: will1066

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

It's cliche but I swear, some people have never actually interacted with people in the real world. Especially in a professional setting.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I don't think players necessarily think in terms of "his play sucked". I think there is a respect for the way guy carried himself, the body of work throughout his career and the command he had within the locker room. And under that criteria, players can't help but respect what Staal has done here.

Yes, you're right. Money and performance are things that we mortals dwell on. While they do cross the minds of players, all of that plus even personal beefs with each other, go out the window when they're on the ice, all trying to play for each other. And they wouldn't publicly call each other out on social or in the press anyway, unless there was truly a really bad beef, and I'm not insinuating anything, so please anyone, don't misread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad