Player Discussion Marc Staal Appreciation Thread

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Really respect that he waived. Not something I expect many older players to do, especially since they don’t want to move their families. I shit on Staal a lot, but he was part of something special. And it sucks that he had that eye injury, both at the personal and professional level.

Reactions: haveandare
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I wish we could’ve seen him pre-injuries even longer.

He was a warrior his first few seasons in this league. While McD would eventually pass him as the top LD, Staal battled through some of the toughest assignments on the team his first half-decade here.

It’s also the end of an era. While 2004 set the stage, for me that 2005 draft really was the turning point for this organization.
I always admired the way he seemingly never complained when Girardi was taken away as his partner.

twotonfrankie1

Sep 22, 2020
Thank you Marc!

Still remember watching your first pre-season games as a Ranger and knowing we had something special and you definitely did not disappoint. Absolute ROCK back on defense during your prime years. Great leader and great mentor by all accounts and interviews by our younger players over the years.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
When the play was coming at him into his own zone he was a really good defender with his reach and stick work. He was pretty good in front of his own net boxing out and somewhat physical. AV trying to get him, and others, to chase behind his own net was a ridiculous coaching idea. He had some injuries, the game changed where the defenders are expected to carry the puck more. His contract was no fault of his own. I wish him luck.

Reactions: eco's bones

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
My favorite player. </3

A lot of this board has a really short memory. Staal was an excellent player before his eye injury. Even after his concussion he returned to form.

HF would do polls for best defensive defenseman, and Staal would routinely finish ahead or just behind of Chara and Vlasic, depending on the day. I still firmly believe he’s the best defensive defenseman this team has had in the past 15 years. The offense was starting to come as well - had it not been for a freak accident he would still be a solid player.

Pretty sad day!

carminejr

Sep 14, 2020
Bad player now, bad player in the past, who people thought was good in a time where they really didn't know how to evaluate defenseman. He was never good for a prolonged period of time. Had a solid 07-08 that's about it.
hardooo

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Really respect that he waived. Not something I expect many older players to do, especially since they don’t want to move their families. I shit on Staal a lot, but he was part of something special. And it sucks that he had that eye injury, both at the personal and professional level.

Apparently this whole time he had a limited NTC so we all thought he was untradeable for no reason

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Staal's decline was really accentuated because his mobility fell really hard after the 13-14 season. I'd argue that it happened mid playoff run that year because he looked painfully slow against Montreal and LA and that has carried over and gotten even worse over the years.

The concussions didn't help and the eye injury took an already weak puck handling/moving game and made it even worse, but he hasn't been able to move at an acceptable level for a long while now and his overall game has really suffered for it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
My favorite player. </3

A lot of this board has a really short memory. Staal was an excellent player before his eye injury. Even after his concussion he returned to form.

HF would do polls for best defensive defenseman, and Staal would routinely finish ahead or just behind of Chara and Vlasic, depending on the day. I still firmly believe he’s the best defensive defenseman this team has had in the past 15 years. The offense was starting to come as well - had it not been for a freak accident he would still be a solid player.

Pretty sad day!

One thing if you watch a team for a length you realize that everybody's day to move on eventually is going to come. Marc was a real credit to the organization but I'm not going to lie about this--the Rangers moving him on is a positive for the team. Hopefully K'Andre can be as good as pre-injury Marc Staal was.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
i have written this a few times in last few months, i guess this will be last time

some folks may not remember, but, especially during the first half of his career,
we was among best in league against 2-on-1's,
his positioning and his reach, he was brilliant

secondly, one of my favorite moments at MSG was the Brad Richards dying-seconds tying-goal playoff game vs Caps,
Staal wins it early in OT, walking the blue line then wiring home the winning power-play goal

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Bad player now, bad player in the past, who people thought was good in a time where they really didn't know how to evaluate defenseman. He was never good for a prolonged period of time. Had a solid 07-08 that's about it.

I remember him shutting down Crosby and Malkin several times en route to long playoff runs. He was a solid player for far more than a season.

Reactions: haveandare

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
i have written this a few times in last few months, i guess this will be last time

some folks may not remember, but, especially during the first half of his career,
we was among best in league against 2-on-1's,
his positioning and his reach, he was brilliant

secondly, one of my favorite moments at MSG was the Brad Richards dying-seconds tying-goal playoff game vs Caps,
Staal wins it early in OT, walking the blue line then wiring home the winning power-play goal

The Marc Staal poke-check was legit.

Reactions: duhmetreE

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Staal's decline was really accentuated because his mobility fell really hard after the 13-14 season. I'd argue that it happened mid playoff run that year because he looked painfully slow against Montreal and LA and that has carried over and gotten even worse over the years.

The concussions didn't help and the eye injury took an already weak puck handling/moving game and made it even worse, but he hasn't been able to move at an acceptable level for a long while now and his overall game has really suffered for it.

To be fair, his claim to fame wasn't his puck handling/mobility game. The game evolved, especially following the long-term extension, and his game wasn't really ever about making that sexy stretch/headman pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad