Player Discussion Marc Staal Appreciation Thread

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I think he had two good seasons. The injuries weren't the problem. His play went downhill before they even started.
So he had 2 good seasons and 11 bad seasons..?

Yeahh, no. That’s nonsense. C’mon man.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Maybe 3 and 10. His 07-08, 08-09, and 13-14 were good. 10-11 and 11-12 were ok. The rest were a disaster.
Why was 9-10 disastrous? Because we missed the playoffs?!

13-14 and beyond is when Staal was pretty much finished being a good, quality dmen. But he still gave us plenty of quality seasons.

I don’t mind you saying he had ok seasons. My issue with your post was you suggesting he was a bad player in the past who has 1 solid season and that’s it.

That’s the bullshit that I’m disagreeing with.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Why was 9-10 disastrous? Because we missed the playoffs?!

13-14 and beyond is when Staal was pretty much finished being a good, quality dmen. But he still gave us plenty of quality seasons.

I don’t mind you saying he had ok seasons. My issue with your post was you suggesting he was a bad player in the past who has 1 solid season and that’s it.

That’s the bullshit that I’m disagreeing with.

09-10 is when he stopped completely shutting things down defensively. That was the most year most of stats were under 50%. They still didn't allow many goals with him out but that was prime Lundqvist years. There is a stark drop off in his numbers from 08-09 to 09-10.

If you don't want to call them "bad" that is fine and I will revise it to say I think he only had two years where he was anywhere close to a 1st pairing dman. His usage also got easier after those years as that is when McDonagh came up.

He also, until recent years, was actually always very good on the PK.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
09-10 is when he stopped completely shutting things down defensively. That was the most year most of stats were under 50%. They still didn't allow many goals with him out but that was prime Lundqvist years. There is a stark drop off in his numbers from 08-09 to 09-10.

If you don't want to call them "bad" that is fine and I will revise it to say I think he only had two years where he was anywhere close to a 1st pairing dman. His usage also got easier after those years as that is when McDonagh came up
So you’re saying the only time you thought Staal was a 1st pairing dmen, was his rookie season?

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I will forever think of this when i think of marc staal.

Thanks for this memory and all the years. Marc staal and girardi were work horses for the rangers and gave a lot of good times. Hopefully he gets traded to a team that wins the cup.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Guy was a pro's pro. Wish him well in DET.
You can’t fault a player for deteriorating because of injuries, or Father Time. Even the All-Time greats can’t repel that shit.

Hell, we’re witnessing it first hand with Lundqvist. Shits painful.

As fans, we have expectations; often times unrealistic ones.

But the 1 or 2 vital things for a lot of us is, work hard and give 100%, and represent the team proudly. Staal did that for many years.

In my head, these threads get forwarded to the players somehow, and they realize how much love we have for their efforts here after reading some of our comments.

That goes for guys like Betts, Ortmeyer, and Moore. Callahan. Girardi. Staal. Lundqvist. McDonagh. Players who literally gave everything they had for the success of the team.

Either people forget, or are too young to realize how ice cold and pathetic those dark years were for us. Watching 1 high profile, overpaid player after another, Half Ass it for us. At an inflated salary.

Reading most comments in this thread was a surprise. It makes me realize most of the fanbase is alright.

Keyword: Most.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I said I thought his first two seasons and 13-14 were good.
At first you said:

Bad player now, bad player in the past. He was never good for a prolonged period of time. Had a solid 07-08 that's about it.

Now it’s the first two seasons and 13-14.

So — which one is it? And what year was he a 1st pairing dmen? I’m assuming you think it was his rookie season, because that’s the only one you highlighted in that gem of a first post in this thread.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
At first you said:

Now it’s the first two seasons and 13-14.

So — which one is it? And what year was he a 1st pairing dmen? I’m assuming you think it was his rookie season, because that’s the only one you highlighted in that gem of a first post in this thread.

I am aware I said that. Am I not allowed to revise my original statement after taking a deeper look into it? His first two years (when he was not used as a first pairing dman) were his best years. His next few years (when he was used as a first pairing dman) were significantly worse. You can say, ok, well his usage was much tougher and he faced tougher opponents so we should expect his results to get worse. Sure. But I don't really buy that excuse as McDonagh took over that exact role and did not have a nosedive in his performance.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I am aware I said that. Am I not allowed to revise my original statement after taking a deeper look into it? His first two years (when he was not used as a first pairing dman) were his best years. His next few years (when he was used as a first pairing dman) were significantly worse. You can say, ok, well his usage was much tougher and he faced tougher opponents so we should expect his results to get worse. Sure. But I don't really buy that excuse as McDonagh took over that exact role and did not have a nosedive in his performance.
Of course you’re allowed to revise your opinion on something, you silly goose! LOL!

Just acknowledge what you said was dumb and premature ;)

However, this is an appreciation thread. We’re all happy he was traded. It should have happened years ago. We care more about the Rangers success than anything else and this trade, imo, helps the franchise.

But threads like this aren’t there to shit on a player, or expose some of their obvious warts.

Appreciation Threads is a players funeral here within the organization.

I’m 40 now, and am going to more and more funerals. Use threads like this or times like this to remember that persons good qualities and accomplishments, instead of their bad.

Personally speaking, the Staal I’m going to remember is that tall, ginger, frail rookie with a silly haircut, who eventually put on some weight and thicker skin and became a key part of the hustling, working and winning attitude we lacked here in NY for a long ass time.

This is the same Staal who played freaking, guitar hero with Hollweg lol.

Treat appreciation threads like funerals. Good vibes only. That’s all bud.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I hope he returns to the Rangers in another capacity once he hangs ‘em up. A class act and terrific defenseman whose career became the victim of repeated unfortunate injuries. All the best to him and, of course, his family.

Reactions: Kupo

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I have to give huge props to him for waiving his NMC.

Hey Henrik, take some notes from Marc.
And to Detroit no less. I mean, really, who would want to live in Detroit? We might have to consider the possibility that he’s clinically insane.

Reactions: Kupo

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That was 8 years ago. Not that crazy . That’s a long time in sports.

Except that team was blown apart pretty quickly. The 2012 ECF team and the 2015 ECF team were worlds different.

No Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Stralman, Boyle, Prust, Fedotenko, Gaborik, Mitchell, etc. Hagelin traded right after that and Stepan shortly thereafter too.

Man I was SO SURE that a Cup was right around the corner and Callahan and Dubinsky would be lifetime Rangers and #24 and #17 would one day hang from the MSG rafters.

Then the whole thing was blown up for freaking Rick Nash.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Thinking back on this and god damn would things have been so different if we didnt draw the Senators as the 8th seed that year. They kicked the living shit out of us and were a huge reason they were completely dead in the water by Game 4 against the Devils.

Meanwhile the lucky ass Islanders draw the worst playoff team ever in the Panthers and a Capitals team that wanted to be anywhere else in the world other than Toronto.

Marc+Staal+Derek+Stepan+Ottawa+Senators+v+LDLJvD_jYAyl.jpg

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Or lack of, I guess, for people who look at the cup they drank as 1/2 empty instead of 1/2 full.

f*** it. Welcome to 1998. The glass was full empty. As was the next glass.

The third glass was full though!!!!

Full of bullshit.
Computers don't show appreciation...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad