Player Discussion Marc Staal Appreciation Thread

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Staal would have been much more useful the last few years without the injuries. It's really too bad but him being the leader he is he took the trade out of here when he didn't have to because he's a solid guy. Thanks for everything Staalsy past and present.

Reactions: eco's bones

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Crazy how his own brother is the reason for his downfall. What a POS type of hit on your own brother.

I still don’t see it as that. It was a hard hockey hit. I can guarantee you that if Eric can go back knowing that his hit leads to a concussion, he holds up or avoids it.

All of the Staal brothers were/are hard nosed players. But they’re not dirty like a real piece of shit, ala Cooke.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
cMjq8Jp.gif

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That concussion hurt him a lot and that eye injury was one of the nastiest injuries I've ever seen. You have to give him some credit just coming back from that. He wa a really really good defenseman before then---also the game changed to more puck movement from your D and that was never a particular strength. He always gave good effort and agreeing to this deal is doing the Rangers a favor. Wish him the best.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He was a very good d-man for a while. Felt comfortable with him out there against top scorers during his peak, and he was part of the original group when the organization started trying to build a team again. I appreciated his time here a lot, but it was time. Nice of him to allow the trade.

Reactions: eco's bones

mti79

May 11, 2007
Thanks for everything Marc. Bled for this team for the past decade plus. I still remember when he got into with Semin... Can anybody post that? ha ha ha

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wish we could’ve seen him pre-injuries even longer.

He was a warrior his first few seasons in this league. While McD would eventually pass him as the top LD, Staal battled through some of the toughest assignments on the team his first half-decade here.

It’s also the end of an era. While 2004 set the stage, for me that 2005 draft really was the turning point for this organization.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
In my book Staal will always hold a special place in my fandom. He was the first draft pick I really followed all the way from a prospect to Stanley Cup playoff OT winner. In his prime he was a dominant defensive force that was a pleasure to watch.

Say what you want about the end of his career, but you have to give him major major points for courage and perseverance battling through what he went through. All the best to Marc.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Bad player now, bad player in the past, who people thought was good in a time where they really didn't know how to evaluate defenseman.
The only bad thing here is this post.

You’re either forgetting Staal the first chunk of his career, or you didn’t watch him. Staal-Girardi were absolute rocks for us, up until the injuries started kicking in.

The three things that hurt Staal longterm was his concussion, eye injury, and how quickly the pace of the game transitioned right around the time of his injuries.

Prior to those though, Staal was a rock. 20+ minute a night warrior getting the hardest match ups night after night.

If Staal never had those bad injuries, he still would struggle in today’s NHL. But assuming he only had 1 good season is complete horse shit and straight up foolish.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The only bad thing here is this post.

You’re either forgetting Staal the first chunk of his career, or you didn’t watch him. Staal-Girardi were absolute rocks for us, up until the injuries started kicking in.

The three things that hurt Staal longterm was his concussion, eye injury, and how quickly the pace of the game transitioned right around the time of his injuries.

Prior to those though, Staal was a rock. 20+ minute a night warrior getting the hardest match ups night after night.

If Staal never had those bad injuries, he still would struggle in today’s NHL. But assuming he only had 1 good season is complete horse shit and straight up foolish.

I think he had two good seasons. The injuries weren't the problem. His play went downhill before they even started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad