Speculation: Marc Savard gives McDavid one more year in Edmonton

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Are the people saying they don't buy it that naive? I'd say it seems pretty damn obvious McDavid isn't all that happy in Edmonton. I mean really, what would there be for him to be happy about it? Organization is a total circus.

Reactions: Estlin

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
This whole thing about Lucic and his NVM for the expansion draft talk is conpletely rediculous. Lucic would waive in a heartbeat for Seatle and he'd make backflips if Seatle selects him.

Btw this is a really bad proposal tho

In HF's eyes, yup. As a Preds fan, we will keep our guys.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Only a matter of time before he comes to Toronto and I don't say this to irritate anyone but that's just the reality, and believe me I know this fact utterly enrages fans of other teams...but if there's room and he's a FA and the Leafs are still a respectable team by then, he's coming, that's not an if, its just a matter of when. McDavid is a die hard Leafs fan, grew up one just north of the city and will always be one, just like JT. Shame to see him waste away in Edmonton, just brutal for the game.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
Only a matter of time before he comes to Toronto and I don't say this to irritate anyone but that's just the reality, and believe me I know this fact utterly enrages fans of other teams...but if there's room and he's a FA and the Leafs are still a respectable team by then, he's coming, that's not an if, its just a matter of when. McDavid is a die hard Leafs fan, grew up one just north of the city and will always be one, just like JT. Shame to see him waste away in Edmonton, just brutal for the game.

This is the silliest thing I've seen all day.

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
Truth hurts sometimes don't it? Spare me the semantics, you're likely the first person who said the same thing about JT never coming to Toronto.

Not really. I just found it amusing that one guy finally "came home" after years of hearing every guy born in the GTA would eventually become a Leaf so now "it's just a matter of time" with McDavid. Good luck to you with that.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Not really. I just found it amusing that one guy finally "came home" after years of hearing every guy born in the GTA would eventually become a Leaf so now "it's just a matter of time" with McDavid. Good luck to you with that.

If you paid attention you would notice that the timing coincided with the quality of the Leafs team. There is more than 1 requirement for a hometown star to come home, the team has to be good for it to work. Tavares likely wouldn't have come if the Leafs were still a dumpster fire.

If the Leafs are still a playoff caliber team when McDavid hits free agency and there is cap room, he will come. Go cry about it.

RantanenRavin

Jun 24, 2017
Off the top of my head, Ovechkin's contract is bigger

Good for you, pointing out a pointless fact that adds/changes nothing about the conversation. Just have to poke holes for no reason, proves nothing.

Try adding something with your comments, not just derailing for your own pleasure.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I think you guys would react badly if a journalist (or say, a few journalists) out of Arizona kept writing articles about how Matthews is going to bail on Toronto and come to the Coyotes. These guys don't know what they're talking about yet keep writing this crap. It's tiresome.

Savard is a TV analyst not a writer for one and he’s a former player with probably a ton if contacts around the league. I’m not saying this is a certainty at all but putting him at the Eklund level is just plain wrong.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I heard how Mario was always going to go to Montreal for about his entire Penguins existence... and how Malkin was going to LA cause he didn’t want to play second fiddle to Sid... and how sid wasn’t going to resign with the Pens cause he was going home to Canada... pipe dreams.... an older Jagr got traded in a rebuild...an older gretzky got traded for financial reasons.... guys like McDavid just don’t get moved under long term contract

Reactions: billybudd

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Good for you, pointing out a pointless fact that adds/changes nothing about the conversation. Just have to poke holes for no reason, proves nothing.

Try adding something with your comments, not just derailing for your own pleasure.
This is a bit hypocritical

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
You were implying that he could not be biased Toronto media because he formerly played for Boston. I’m letting you know that’s not accurate at all.

Biased to what? He never mentioned the Leafs at all. Stop fishing for stuff and move along. You clearly are trying to play on a non existent narrative. If the networks talk too much about the Leafs...people complain. The networks talk about another team and it’s negative they don’t bring up the Leafs at all and some how the Leafs come up again. What a joke lol

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Biased to what? He never mentioned the Leafs at all. Stop fishing for stuff and move along. You clearly are trying to play on a non existent narrative. If the networks talk too much about the Leafs...people complain. The networks talk about another team and it’s negative they don’t bring up the Leafs at all and some how the Leafs come up again. What a joke lol

The Leafs come up because this entire thing came out of Toronto due to speculation by a self-proclaimed Leafs fan and this entire thread is Leafs fans trying to convince themselves and other fans that there’s a realistic chance of this happening. You wouldn’t be so emotionally invested otherwise.

Reactions: glovesave_35

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
The Leafs come up because this entire thing came out of Toronto due to speculation by a self-proclaimed Leafs fan and this entire thread is Leafs fans trying to convince themselves and other fans that there’s a realistic chance of this happening. You wouldn’t be so emotionally invested otherwise.

Lmao and Savard stated he was a big Bruins supporter yet funny enough you don’t bring that up at all...due to it not fitting your narrative. No one brought up the Leafs in that conversation, the fans just love stating that the Toronto media is stirring things up while not bringing it up at all. McDavid grew up a Leafs fan...did he tell the Oilers that he wouldn’t sign with them and would be joining the Leafs due to that...no. It’s the same crap that people on here try to push with Matthews to Arizona because he grew up there...yet I never hear about that damn Arizona media. Based on this thread, you threw the Leafs in there though they had nothing to do with it. Congrats on pushing that further and than blaming other people for pushing that angle.

As for Savard, growing up a fan of a team doesn’t make you a bias commentator. Funny how I never heard this Savard crap when he played for the Bruins.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Are the people saying they don't buy it that naive? I'd say it seems pretty damn obvious McDavid isn't all that happy in Edmonton. I mean really, what would there be for him to be happy about it? Organization is a total circus.

Agreed. That level of candor and frustration usually means he's pretty damn fed up. I think it's actually best the Oilers trade him for that Lindros style package to get the franchise going on a broader base.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Lmao and Savard stated he was a big Bruins supporter yet funny enough you don’t bring that up at all...due to it not fitting your narrative. No one brought up the Leafs in that conversation, the fans just love stating that the Toronto media is stirring things up while not bringing it up at all. McDavid grew up a Leafs fan...did he tell the Oilers that he wouldn’t sign with them and would be joining the Leafs due to that...no. It’s the same crap that people on here try to push with Matthews to Arizona because he grew up there...yet I never hear about that damn Arizona media. Based on this thread, you threw the Leafs in there though they had nothing to do with it. Congrats on pushing that further and than blaming other people for pushing that angle.

As for Savard, growing up a fan of a team doesn’t make you a bias commentator. Funny how I never heard this Savard crap when he played for the Bruins.

Dude. Darren Dreger came out and said that all of this stuff about McDavid was coming out of Toronto, not Edmonton.

Have you not read this thread? It’s full of Leads fans making proposals for McDavid and trying to convince people that he will be traded. The thread is being driven by you, the OP and the most frequent poster, trying to convince yourself that there is a legitimate possibility that McDavid will be traded. Why do you think that is?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Do the Leafs really believe every star has a deep rooted desire to play for them?

I mean, yeah, you got JT, and the story came out not long ago that he demanded 11m or he was going back to the Isles, so that wasn't really a hometown love thing.

I don't think McDavid will let himself waste away in Edmonton, even if I do think he's a good enough guy to suffer through a few more years. But I'm not sure how Toronto is even in the conversation after Marner becomes the fourth player to shake Kyle Dubas down this summer.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed. That level of candor and frustration usually means he's pretty damn fed up. I think it's actually best the Oilers trade him for that Lindros style package to get the franchise going on a broader base.

If they got a big enough, and cheap enough, package, it could be the only way to set the franchise on the right track in short order. I'm not saying that's the right move. Just saying it's probably the quickest way to get the team to the playoffs and trending upward. Right now they're in this weird place where they suck AND they have no money. Not a good combination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad