Speculation: Marc Savard gives McDavid one more year in Edmonton

meatwad4343

Apr 19, 2018
Tampa
what can mcdavid realistically do ? i don't see how he has leverage? isn't he signed for another 7 or 8 years or something ridiculous like that, is he going to sit that out? seems like he is pretty much stuck regardless of what he wants.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
what's great is all this bs is coming out of the east and they damn well know it is not going to happen but they keep harping on a trade like a little kid who wants a treat ................suck it up cause it won't happen and if it did happen I rather see Mcdavid traded to Calgary then the leafs just to burn the medias ass even more

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Fans of other teams love to jump on to bash the Oilers . This is one man opinion McDavid never even hinted at it . Mario Lemieux miss the playoffs 4 or 5 times at the start of his career and even on their first cup run they were an slightly above average team going into the playoffs who got hot and roll throw everyone . How did that turnout ?

Then there fans thinking this will take years to turn around because of Edmonton cap . Take a look again and this time look at the length of those contracts

Manning 1 year

Russell limited no trade clause starting this summer with only 2 years remaining
Sekera everything is the same as Russell 2 years , limited no trade clause

Kassian is movable
Benning is movable

Lucic unmovable until July 1st 2020

A smart GM can move a couple of these guys out . Then the fact The cap is going up . If things stay the same Edmonton will still have enough cap to sign 1 UFA winger . They are picking sign and that will net them a decent prospect to got with Jones , Bouchard , Yamamoto , Benson and a few others . Edmonton is 2 winger and a 3C away from being very good . Their D will take care of itself as young guys replace the overpaid old guys .

Now the return for McDavid is another thing . It's starts with a 1C , 1RHD and a top 6 winger and then add some picks .

Then there Edmonton fans saying if he ask for a trade the team would refuse . I am sure they would have their talks with him but if he had his heart set on getting out of Edmonton the team would move him . He is not some spoiled brat holding out on his first contract for more money when he has proved anything . He the games best player who got no help other then Draisaitl

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Why would McDavid want toto from one **** show to another lol?

Leafs fans are a cocky bunch for a team that hasn't won anything since cavemen discovered fire . Get back to us when you become the next Chicago Blackhawks as for now TML haven't even had as good of season as the Canucks had when they lost to Boston in the finals . TML are going have their own cap hell coming soon with no way of improving their D .

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
what's great is all this bs is coming out of the east and they damn well know it is not going to happen but they keep harping on a trade like a little kid who wants a treat ................suck it up cause it won't happen and if it did happen I rather see Mcdavid traded to Calgary then the leafs just to burn the medias ass even more
Did Marc Savard say he was getting traded to Toronto? Or any media outlet say Toronto?

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
Come on, its not the first time an elite to generational player has been stuck on a ****ty teams, i dont think mcdavid is going anywhere.
New day and age my friend. They got 2 years. McDavid is not giving his career up for this crap

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Quote from earlier today on The Score:

McDavid aired his disappointment in the Oilers' latest letdown after a loss to the Vegas Golden Knights officially eliminated them from playoff contention earlier in the week, and his sentiment remains the same.

"I'd be a complete loser if I wasn't frustrated," he said. "It's frustrating personally, it's frustrating as a group. We want to be in the playoffs, we want to be competing late in the season."

McDavid's comments in Vegas led some to believe he wants out of Edmonton, but the 22-year-old squashed that notion.

"I want to be here. If I didn't want to be here I wouldn't have signed an eight-year deal," he said.

Once again eastern fans and eastern media show they don't know a damn thing about hockey outside of Ontario.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Leafs fans are a cocky bunch for a team that hasn't won anything since cavemen discovered fire . Get back to us when you become the next Chicago Blackhawks as for now TML haven't even had as good of season as the Canucks had when they lost to Boston in the finals . TML are going have their own cap hell coming soon with no way of improving their D .

>Complains about recycled, unorginal, boring mainstream talking points repeated en masse by media and other fans
>Regurgitates recycled, unorginal, boring mainstream talking points repeated en masse by media and other fans

El classico

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
The difference is that Pocklington basically sold Gretzky. It was Carson and Gelinas for Krushelnyski and McSorley, with 15 million for Gretzky.
Crazy how much inflation has gone up since then...
15 barely pays McDavid for one+ seasons.

What is 15 million dollars in 2019 dollars ?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Will McDavid ask to be traded if Edmonton isn't competitive in the next few years?
Good question.
Wonder how much it would cost to pry him away.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Crazy how much inflation has gone up since then...
15 barely pays McDavid for one+ seasons.

What is 15 million dollars in 2019 dollars ?
Not sure, but the NHL was way smaller back then as well. Not nearly the amount of revenue from ads or tv, and tickets could be had for 20 bucks in good markets, for the bad seats. Nowadays, the "cheap seats" are still looking at a hundred dollar night.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Sucks for the fans for sure but I hope Edmonton either turns it around very quickly or sends McD to greener pastures, I too early on wanted to keep a guy like Karlsson in Ottawa, it wasn't until recent years where I realized that I wish he had been moved sooner to a capable franchise so as his career could blossom rather than hindered in Ottawa, as was the case. It hurts the heart at times to think with the head imo.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
You may as well flush what Savard said down the commode because he basically said to the media the other day that he wouldn’t have signed long term in Edmonton if he didn’t want to be there long term and he likes the city! ( say it ain’t so !!!) :laugh:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I could see him leaving too but Savy definitely on something if he feels it's within a year. McDavid signed an 8-year deal. He'll give the management atleast another 3 more years. No doubt he wants to be in the dance as soon as next year, I just don't think it's realistic. They have a lot problems which can be hard to fill in one off-season.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Johnsson+Matthews+Nylander + 2 1sts for McDavid

Edmonton would be getting an entire first line back along with two firsts.

New Edmonton top 6:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
RNH-Draisaitl-XX

New Toronto top 6:

Kadri-McDavid-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner

:eek:

you can't be serious

Matty + Nylander

McDavid + Khaira

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
It's 2019, so 15 million dollars. Is this a trick question?
Missed the key language of 15 million dollars in the year Gretzky was traded vs. the inflation prices of that year compared to 2019.

I know I wasn't completely clear, but you got that part, right?

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Come on down Connor, we got the cap, the assets (even more by the time he demands out) and actual management.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->