Speculation: Marc Savard gives McDavid one more year in Edmonton

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I can see it happening. But I don't see anything being fixed as long as that upper management is still there. So I look forward to seeing how the Oilers will screw up a McDavid trade.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I saw this yesterday too and was surprised a thread wasnt made instantly.

I wouldnt doubt if he wanted out too.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
McDavid just finished year one of (edit)one of the richest contracts in NHL history, he can demand all he wants but I don't see why Edmonton would give in. As much as I'd love to pile on and laugh at the Oilers its just not happening.

He's going to have to grind through it and Edmonton has 7 years to make something happen, that is a ****ing eternity in the NHL even for an organization as incompetent as the Oilers.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That team is more than 1 year away from contention, not a single GM in this league can fix that dreadful organization in a year or 2. At best they can trim the fat and lay the foundation in 2-3 years and that's if you get a good GM, anyone rushing to make the Oilers into a contender will just be the next Chiarelli.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I mean I get his frustration, but lets have some perspective.

Nathan MacKinnon missed the playoffs 3 years in a row
Jack Eichel has missed 4 years in a row, no playoffs ever.
John Tavares missed the playoffs 4 out of his first 5 seasons.
Jarome Iginla missed 7 straight years at one point.
Mario Lemieux missed the playoffs his first 4 years, then missed again the year after making his first appearance.

None of those guys asked for a trade out.

If I'm the owner of the Oilers I simply say "nope, we're not trading you under any condition before you've at minimum honoured at least half the term of the contract you signed".

He's not going to stay home and piss away $12.5 million dollars, the biggest contract in NHL at the moment.

I would tell him if the team is not a playoff team by the time he is 26 years old, the Oilers agree to trade him, and even to the destination of his choice if that team is offering as good of a package as anyone else.

That's fair. But him asking for a trade out at age 23/24/25? Nope. I tell him straight up, under no circumstance is that happening. You're not getting traded only having honored 2-3 years of the contract extension you signed to be the highest paid player in the league. Not happening.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
It's pretty shameful how bad the Oilers are considering how good of a season McDavid and Drisaitl are having. If management fails again at building a playoff quality roster around those two, I wouldn't blame them for saying they want out

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->