Speculation: Marc Savard gives McDavid one more year in Edmonton

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Eastern (Toronto) media are really ramping up the "McDavid wants out" rhetoric an awful lot lately, aren't they? :help:
McDavid is a guy who wants to win. The Oilers are in shambles from top to bottom. Do you really think he hasn't had the conversation about potentially leaving with his agent?

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I dont think you understand how a playets contract works. Demanding a trade sounds like they have power... they dont. Normally if a player demands a trade they were looking to be moved already or the term is short so moving them has benefits. If McDavid ever demanded outside of 2yrs or less left on the deal they dont touch it and McDavid or his agent cant do ****. They can sit out and thats it. Theu can go over seas but then if he comes back the rights go through Edmonton for his entire useful career and could **** him over for him ficking them over. Him sitting out if anything helps them because at least they can tank better to get players to play when he wont.

It kills his career stats, his reputation in the league, his legacy as a player, overtakes Crosby as the biggest whiner in the league.... it would do nothong but hurt his career so I kinda hope he does it so people can see the kinda person he is.

Side not I like how both Mathews ans McDavid both came into bottom feeders and he built hisnteam into a contender and McDavid built his name into a selfosh one that he scores in garbage time ornmakes sure he is relevant when his team isnt. He is the guy who would put hos stick in front of a teammate shooting an empty net goal so he gets credit for the goal and his stats make him look amazing while he competitively as a team will never go anywhere until he can play less selfish.
I love the shot taken at McDavid at the bottom, he scored at the same pace in the first half to second half this year.

Or what about when they made the playoffs and he increased his scoring towards the end as usual. If he wasn’t so selfish would they have finished 1st?

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
McDavid is a guy who wants to win. The Oilers are in shambles from top to bottom. Do you really think he hasn't had the conversation about potentially leaving with his agent?

I'm not saying he hasn't, and yeah of course he's in a tough spot right now as the Oilers are quite the spectacular dumpster fire.

But it just seems as though some of the so-called "insiders" are salivating at the idea of McDavid demanding a trade out of Edmonton this offseason, and they're jostling for position to be the first one to "break" the story - and the ensuing ****storm that would follow

"OMGZ, McDavid wants to come home to the Leafs, it's gonna happen!" :scared:

:help: :shakehead

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

No I don't. It's too early for that kind of conversation.

Standard eastern fans, standard eastern media. They don't know anything about the world west of Ontario.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Lol, not going to happen. Oilers would make the most desperate move you've ever seen to keep him there. They'd trade anyone, and anything, to keep McDavid in Edmonton.
So they'd get rid of the last of his remaining talented teammates in an attempt to appease him? Bold strategy.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I dont think you understand how a playets contract works. Demanding a trade sounds like they have power... they dont. Normally if a player demands a trade they were looking to be moved already or the term is short so moving them has benefits. If McDavid ever demanded outside of 2yrs or less left on the deal they dont touch it and McDavid or his agent cant do ****. They can sit out and thats it. Theu can go over seas but then if he comes back the rights go through Edmonton for his entire useful career and could **** him over for him ficking them over. Him sitting out if anything helps them because at least they can tank better to get players to play when he wont.

It kills his career stats, his reputation in the league, his legacy as a player, overtakes Crosby as the biggest whiner in the league.... it would do nothong but hurt his career so I kinda hope he does it so people can see the kinda person he is.

Side not I like how both Mathews ans McDavid both came into bottom feeders and he built hisnteam into a contender and McDavid built his name into a selfosh one that he scores in garbage time ornmakes sure he is relevant when his team isnt. He is the guy who would put hos stick in front of a teammate shooting an empty net goal so he gets credit for the goal and his stats make him look amazing while he competitively as a team will never go anywhere until he can play less selfish.
He sure was playing selfish scoring 25 points in his last 14 games in 2016-17 to help his team go 12-2-0 to clinch the franchises first playoff appearance in a decade.

So selfish.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Players actually have more power than the team in these situations because they have all the leverage. That's why they get traded 9 times out of 10. Sitting a star player after a demand only hurts the team more - game to game - and in terms of their ability to get what they want out of a trade.

The scenario I'm talking about is 2 seasons from now if the Oilers haven't pulled any potential together. McDavid's agent wouldn't be doing his job properly if he didn't get him out of there. Adversity is one thing - systematically bad management and terrible ownership is another.
Do they though? The team can refuse to trade them and if they refuse to pay then there's grounds to suspend them and not pay them. At least that is my understanding, maybe thats not allowed in the CBA.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
It starts with ousting Lowe, McTavish etc who still have sway over hockey decisions.

I won't argue with your point. However ownership needs to realize they have some serious problems and then be committed to winning and honing in on the best candidate to assume hockey operations and a GM who shares the same vision and has a proven track record, then a coach who they believe in.

Mcdavid won't be going anywhere , no team can honestly afford to give up that much talent, assets, picks and then have cap space for future resignings.

Edmonton if they make the correct changes could be in a solid position 3 to 4 years from now .

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
What is Edmonton realistically supposed to do to get better tho? With the exception of a handful of guys, the team is horrendous... So i guess trade 1 or 2 of those handful of guys?... Cant really trade a prospect/pick for a good player cause they cant add cap, so they would have to include a cap dump going back which significantly lowers the return.

I truly dont know what the team is gonna do.. Plus that damn extension to Koskinen lol.

I dont even think someone coulda purposely put this team in worst shape than what Chia did while there. Its unreal the mess he put this team in

Anyways, i wouldnt blame McDavid wanting out at all.. And honestly i dont think Oiler fans would even blame him

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Do they though? The team can refuse to trade them and if they refuse to pay then there's grounds to suspend them and not pay them. At least that is my understanding, maybe thats not allowed in the CBA.

A team can do whatever it wants, but in the world of the NHL, the worker tends to win over management in these situations. See: every public trade request ever.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Come on, its not the first time an elite to generational player has been stuck on a ****ty teams, i dont think mcdavid is going anywhere.
.......so they said of Tavares.

The best player in the world making the playoffs ONCE...... If they don't right the ship next year I can see the demand. Especially if they don't nail the GM hiring.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Toronto media is so cute.

This all has only ever come out of Toronto, still upset they lost that draft lottery. Hardly "speculation", more hopes and dreams.

So now Marc Savard who was a Boston Bruin for ages is now considered bias Toronto media haha...What’s next Tie Domi is a Montreal shill because his son plays for them?

Reactions: Lilou

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
So now Marc Savard who was a Boston Bruin for ages is now considered bias Toronto media haha...What’s next Tie Domi is a Montreal shill because his son plays for them?

I think you guys would react badly if a journalist (or say, a few journalists) out of Arizona kept writing articles about how Matthews is going to bail on Toronto and come to the Coyotes. These guys don't know what they're talking about yet keep writing this crap. It's tiresome.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Flyers should go all in with this. Just think about it, Flyers vs Pens, Philly vs Pittsburg, Crosby vs McDavid..... ratings will go through the roof. Marketing teams in both organizations would go nuts.

I’m gonna quote other teams fans and say this....McDavid for Couturier, Provorov, +++++++++....:laugh:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Marc Savard has about the same credibility as an "insider" as you or me. Pure speculation. Still though if the Oilers don't improve much next year I could see him requesting a trade. McDavid isn't your typical hockey player, he wants to be the best and in the best situation. He has a brand to think about, and so far he hasn't really gotten maximum value from that brand in Edmonton.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
No I don't. It's too early for that kind of conversation.

Standard eastern fans, standard eastern media. They don't know anything about the world west of Ontario.
I don't think it changes because of where you live. Heck, McDavid is from Toronto. I'm not saying anything us imminent, but if there are sources on McDavid then they'd likely be close to him, his family or agent. All of whom are in 'the east'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad