Status
Not open for further replies.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
All this Vermette talk reminds me of this classic thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=494698

Based on the now famous quote from Dan Savage:

Dan Savage said:
In fact, I'll prove how much I love French-speaking Canada by offering English-speaking Canada this deal: The sane people in the United States will happily trade you the Bible Belt for Quebec. We'll take those contentious secessionist headaches off your hands, and all those bilingual street signs, if you'll take the 22 percent of our country that still believes George W. Bush is doing a good job. You get Mike Huckabee and Gary Bauer; we get Justin Trudeau and Antoine Vermette. We get your hot, uncut boys with sexy accents from Montreal; you get our slope-shouldered, slack-jawed yokels from Mississippi. Do we have a deal?

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Methot should can his agent. Every game missed with lingering back injury will be held against him in contract negotiations, UFA or otherwise. Maybe the price tag doesn't take a nose dive but he can probably forget about something long term (5 years +) if this injury lasts into the late fall.

1) Its a back injury - never good
2) He's 29, decline is near
3) He plays a physical game
4) His injury has lasted 6 months and counting

Larry Kelly took a colossal risk by turning down the last offer, one that may cost Mark 2-3 years and some material $$ on a deal. Kelly flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
What is wrong with Methot exactly?

They said he skated for awhile and now they're saying he's not even skating.
Also whatever this is was supposed to have affected him last year.

Since he missed the whole training camp and hasn't been on skates for awhile it
will be a long time before he makes it back, even when he
heals from whatever it is that is wrong with him.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
What is wrong with Methot exactly?

They said he skated for awhile and now they're saying he's not even skating.
Also whatever this is was supposed to have affected him last year.

Since he missed the whole training camp and hasn't been on skates for awhile it
will be a long time before he makes it back, even when he
heals from whatever it is that is wrong with him.

He is having back muscle problems. He pushed himself too hard and hurt himself more. So they are resetting him and rehabbing him without allowing him to skate.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Have they ruled out surgery for this issue? If it kept him out of the World Championship 6 months ago and it's still bothering him...

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
He is having back muscle problems. He pushed himself too hard and hurt himself more. So they are resetting him and rehabbing him without allowing him to skate.

Why do i feel like Methot might not come back for a long time? :(

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

No way im signing a player with this problem more then 3 years.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Either way, he's not getting a long-term contract by anyone until his back issues are fixed......and even then it may be doubtful.

I'm glad Murray didn't panic and throw a crazy contract his way.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Methot should have taken those deals and ran. Big mistake. I'm very confident in my "I told you so" internet position on this one. :)

Lehnsanity

Oct 10, 2012
Ottawa
I hope this guy gets healthy soon... I saw him at Central Bierhaus drinking the night away during the Tampa game and he was walking around fine...

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Methot should have taken those deals and ran. Big mistake. I'm very confident in my "I told you so" internet position on this one. :)

This actually crossed my mind as well. If he does not manage to bounce "back" he can end up losing out on millions as a result of the delays stemming from trying to get every penny possible in the deal. This can become a cautionary tale about the risks involved in waiting to sign.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Methot should can his agent. Every game missed with lingering back injury will be held against him in contract negotiations, UFA or otherwise. Maybe the price tag doesn't take a nose dive but he can probably forget about something long term (5 years +) if this injury lasts into the late fall.

1) Its a back injury - never good
2) He's 29, decline is near
3) He plays a physical game
4) His injury has lasted 6 months and counting

Larry Kelly took a colossal risk by turning down the last offer, one that may cost Mark 2-3 years and some material $$ on a deal. Kelly flew too close to the sun on wings of pastrami.

If you think that a back injury at the start of the season affects a long term contract you're dreaming. He is going to get a long term contract from someone he is a legit top 3 D man that hasnt changed. Orpick is in his mid 30's and got a long term deal. The sens need to sign him and he will get signed.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
No way im signing a player with this problem more then 3 years.

It is a muscle injury not a spinal injury.
Muscle injuries can be healed over time or with a quick recovery surgery. Spinal injuries can be career ending or nag you for the rest of your life like Alfy.

Spezza had a muscle problem and got it fixed and changed his training style. Methot will have to do the same. More Yoga less weight training.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
If you think that a back injury at the start of the season affects a long term contract you're dreaming. He is going to get a long term contract from someone he is a legit top 3 D man that hasnt changed. Orpick is in his mid 30's and got a long term deal. The sens need to sign him and he will get signed.

I don't want an offer made to him until he returns to action with no signs of limitation .

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Muscle injuries can be healed over time or with a quick recovery surgery. Spinal injuries can be career ending or nag you for the rest of your life like Alfy.

Spezza had a muscle problem and got it fixed and changed his training style. Methot will have to do the same. More Yoga less weight training.

Spezza seemed to have an on going problem with his back. Didn't he have more than one surgery? I am really hoping Methot doesn't have the same recurring problems that Spezza had.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

All true. What I would add though, as a person with back problems from an old sports injury, is that the threat is really bigger than a person's back. When your back has been hurt your muscles tighten easily, and you can end up with abdominal or hip flexor injuries down the road. The best bet is really focusing on increasing core strength, which offsets that type of thing.

SenatorArmy*

I just want him out of the lineup for as long as it takes for him to make a full recovery. If they give him a contract during this time then great. I have full confidence that when Methot comes back he will be a force to be reckoned with & here in Ottawa is the best place for him to be that force. He's happy, he's going to perform well & it makes our team more of a TEAM

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Orpik also played practically the whole season of his FA year AND made the US Olympic team. He's also won a Cup and known for his playoff level.

Methot doesn't have nearly the resume Orpik has especially to offset an injury that has made him miss a lot of time.

Oct 10, 2010
He may not have Orpik's resume, but i don't see how that's his fault?

Just the draw of the cards.

If Methot was from the US , he would make the team, IMO.

If Methot played with Pitt, i am sure they'd still win a cup.

Methot is a better player and younger.

I think he gets an Orpik type deal for sure ( assuming his back doesn't turn out to be a massive issue)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He may not have Orpik's resume, but i don't see how that's his fault?

Just the draw of the cards.

If Methot was from the US , he would make the team, IMO.

If Methot played with Pitt, i am sure they'd still win a cup.

Methot is a better player and younger.

I think he gets an Orpik type deal for sure ( assuming his back doesn't turn out to be a massive issue)

For what it's worth, there are a few pretty big differences;

Orpik played at a high level for a longer period of time; Methot has really only been considered to be at a similar level the last 2 seaons.

Orpik played in a market under the microscope increasing his profile, Methot toiled away in Cbus.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Methot, but Orpik got the big contract in part because he's high profile. The guy beat out Yandle, E. Johnson, J Johnson, and Byfuglien for a spot on the Olympic team; GMs think more highly of him than you'd think.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Its funny that he's missed 3 games and some of you are saying you wouldn't sign him, like he's Pascal Leclaire or something.

Backs are weird like that - they can heal and then you can tweak them again, doesn't mean he's never going to play again.

Lots of guys with injury history have gotten big deals in the past, the beauty of the UFA world is that good attributes get taken as the norm, and bad attributes are treated as anomalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad