Status
Not open for further replies.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Where will he end up?

Last page of previous discussion.

Paul @Sens_Army_
LeBrun on TSN1200 on Methot: "I don't think (Ottawa) will be scared to trade him." #Sens

Ducks interest: https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/518072817452351489

puzzle11.jpg

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If we were to trade him for anything less than a #2 or #3 dman, we'd be in bigger trouble defensively than we already are. Of course if the Sens think he won't sign or if his injuries are concerning, then I'd be happy with less, but i can't imagine this lineup without someone to replace Methot in the top 4. Scary stuff.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
What is Methots asking price right now in terms of dollars? if its 5.5 with a discount i have hard time believing he will be walking to a team meeting his demands with out a discount.

Karlsson2Turris*

If Cowen plays like he did last weekend then I would be OK trading Methot for a similar price to what the Bruins got for Boychuk, then flip the picks for players at the deadline if we're in the playoff race.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If we were to trade him for anything less than a #2 or #3 dman, we'd be in bigger trouble defensively than we already are. Of course if the Sens think he won't sign or if his injuries are concerning, then I'd be happy with less, but i can't imagine this lineup without someone to replace Methot in the top 4. Scary stuff.

Methots back issues are starting to scare me. Backs are tricky. He can get better and come back, but then a couple games later, he could be out again because of his back.

Then you got to wonder if he does come back, will his play suffer because of his back issues?

I think the Sens are starting to see the warning signs with Methot honestly. This might be one of the reasons why they are hesitant to give him a contract $5 million+ contract

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Methots back issues are starting to scare me. Backs are tricky. He can get better and come back, but then a couple games later, he could be out again because of his back.

Then you got to wonder if he does come back, will his play suffer because of his back issues?

I think the Sens are starting to see the warning signs with Methot honestly. This might be one of the reasons why they are hesitant to give him a contract $5 million+ contract

Well, they still offered him a pretty juicy contract not too long ago when he was already injured, so they can't be too concerned with the back issues.

Edit: Unless they were thinking "sign and trade" that is....

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
What is Methots asking price right now in terms of dollars? if its 5.5 with a discount i have hard time believing he will be walking to a team meeting his demands with out a discount.

I think he's looking for something between $5 and $5.5 over 5+ years.

His agent has him convinced that he's worth that on the open market. Whether that is actually the case remains to be determined.

He had a low profile playing in Columbus, had a great first year with Ottawa followed by a sub-par year. Couple all that with the injury issues...

This is why I have a hard time believing he's worth what he thinks he's worth.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think he's looking for something between $5 and $5.5 over 5+ years.

His agent has him convinced that he's worth that on the open market. Whether that is actually the case remains to be determined.

He has a low profile playing in Columbus, had a great first year with Ottawa followed by a sub-par year. Couple all that with the injury issues...

This is why I have a hard time believing he's worth what he thinks he's worth.

I think the writing is on the wall for Methot sadly.

If he is not signed before the new year, i think he is gone.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I think the writing is on the wall for Methot sadly.

If he is not signed before the new year, i think he is gone.

I agree, but I also think that D-Day for a Methot trade is far closer than the new year... if he's not signed by mid November, they'll shop him. Heck, even if they're not actively looking for trade partners right now, they're already probably listening to offers and getting an idea of value.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The longer this goes on without an extension the more I am leaning towards trading him. Back issues are definitely a scary thing down the road.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
He'll definitely get close to $5m on the open market unless his back is absolutely wrecked. He's a big, mobile defencemen who makes a good first pass. I can understand why he's looking for a long-term, lucrative deal because this could be his one and only time to secure his and his family's future.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I think he will get at least 5 on the open market provided his back gets better, but he wont get the term he is looking for.

What the Sens should do, IMO, is to cave to his price but sign him to a 2 year term.

What the Sens will do, IMO, and delude themselves into thinking they are overloaded with NHL D and ship him out.

Pretty much no one is shopping top 4 D at the moment, and every team is looking for one, so we can actually score fairly well over the long term. The short term is a huge issue though, because if Methot is gonzo we would be left with 1 top four D.

If the trade Methot scenario plays out, and the team recognizes we need a top 4 D, the only real trade bait we have to get one is Zibby. A package of unproven bodies will not get it done. Assuming we trade from our strength (BM's MO), we move a C. Turris is #1 and going nowhere, Smith and Legwand would not get a deal done, and Lazar is the future. That leaves 93 as the only trade offer that would realistically tempt anyone.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
if the sens deal him it will be later on in the year really no point in trading him now

i think we will resign him though there isnt much benefit for us in dealing him we dont need more picks

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
I think he will get at least 5 on the open market provided his back gets better, but he wont get the term he is looking for.

What the Sens should do, IMO, is to cave to his price but sign him to a 2 year term.

What the Sens will do, IMO, and delude themselves into thinking they are overloaded with NHL D and ship him out.

Pretty much no one is shopping top 4 D at the moment, and every team is looking for one, so we can actually score fairly well over the long term. The short term is a huge issue though, because if Methot is gonzo we would be left with 1 top four D.

If the trade Methot scenario plays out, and the team recognizes we need a top 4 D, the only real trade bait we have to get one is Zibby. A package of unproven bodies will not get it done. Assuming we trade from our strength (BM's MO), we move a C. Turris is #1 and going nowhere, Smith and Legwand would not get a deal done, and Lazar is the future. That leaves 93 as the only trade offer that would realistically tempt anyone.

Legwand would return a decent player at the deadline. Especially with another year on his contract, would probably be for a younger or injured for the rest of the season type dman though. No help this year... Would only be plausible if the Sens were out of the race and sellers

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Legwand would return a decent player at the deadline. Especially with another year on his contract, would probably be for a younger or injured for the rest of the season type dman though. No help this year... Would only be plausible if the Sens were out of the race and sellers

My point was about getting a top 4 D. The return on Legwand is not a top 4 D.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He'll definitely get close to $5m on the open market unless his back is absolutely wrecked. He's a big, mobile defencemen who makes a good first pass. I can understand why he's looking for a long-term, lucrative deal because this could be his one and only time to secure his and his family's future.

His family's future is already secure compared to the vast majority of Canadians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad