Marc Methot II: Wheel of Fortune Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Does he even have much of a family? I see no ring.

He wants more because he's convinced he can get more.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think he will get at least 5 on the open market provided his back gets better, but he wont get the term he is looking for.

What the Sens should do, IMO, is to cave to his price but sign him to a 2 year term.

What the Sens will do, IMO, and delude themselves into thinking they are overloaded with NHL D and ship him out.

Pretty much no one is shopping top 4 D at the moment, and every team is looking for one, so we can actually score fairly well over the long term. The short term is a huge issue though, because if Methot is gonzo we would be left with 1 top four D.

If the trade Methot scenario plays out, and the team recognizes we need a top 4 D, the only real trade bait we have to get one is Zibby. A package of unproven bodies will not get it done. Assuming we trade from our strength (BM's MO), we move a C. Turris is #1 and going nowhere, Smith and Legwand would not get a deal done, and Lazar is the future. That leaves 93 as the only trade offer that would realistically tempt anyone.

I agree with you about the team really needing Methot as we only have one proven top 4 Dman (Karlsson)if Methot is traded. Only Ceci appears to me to have the skating skills to be a top 4 Dman soon when looking at the rest of the Dmen we have now. The others lack high end skating skills and appear slow. Yes, Cowen and Wiercioch have potential to be better than they are now, but I have concerns about their skating skills. Even if we sign Methot, I think we need an upgrade on D.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
I'm kind of surprised he's really asking for so much. Yes he played well next to Karlsson but so did Kuba (who I think was pretty much forced out of the league after he left Ottawa).

He has to consider the fact that he could get traded to a team that wouldn't offer him as good of a D partner which would hurt his chances of obtaining the salary he thinks he deserves if he were to have another "down" year. Seems the Sens have been wanting a Cowen-Karlsson pairing for a few years now, this could hopefully be the year this happens. Methot would then become second pairing with Ceci...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What's the hurry to extend Methot? He's under contract for this yr & he's more of a defensive defenceman than an offensive defenceman. Ottawa has 8 defencemen under contract for this yr & a couple in Bingo that can be called up, if needed. I would wait for 20 games or so & see how the young defence has developed & whether they can play better without Methot.

They are not that far apart regarding money & if Wiercioch & Cowen cannot handle the extra ice time or responsibilities BM can always meet Methot's price & extend him. If the young defence improves as I think is possible they could look to move Methot. If one of the young defence improves & the other doesn`t they can extend Methot & trade the young defenceman. They have options & they should wait to see, the players like always will likely make the decision for them by their play.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'm kind of surprised he's really asking for so much. Yes he played well next to Karlsson but so did Kuba (who I think was pretty much forced out of the league after he left Ottawa).

He has to consider the fact that he could get traded to a team that wouldn't offer him as good of a D partner which would hurt his chances of obtaining the salary he thinks he deserves if he were to have another "down" year. Seems the Sens have been wanting a Cowen-Karlsson pairing for a few years now, this could hopefully be the year this happens. Methot would then become second pairing with Ceci...

Actually Kuba cashed in with a nice deal from Florida. Then promptly showed that Karlsson carried him and was dumped one year into his 2 year deal.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I agree with you about the team really needing Methot as we only have one proven top 4 Dman (Karlsson)if Methot is traded. Only Ceci appears to me to have the skating skills to be a top 4 Dman soon when looking at the rest of the Dmen we have now. The others lack high end skating skills and appear slow. Yes, Cowen and Wiercioch have potential to be better than they are now, but I have concerns about their skating skills. Even if we sign Methot, I think we need an upgrade on D.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Not too worried about Cowen's skating after seeing him this off-season sans wonky hip. Good indication he can get around better than last year. Decision making will continue to be touch and go. He's tipping the scales in the right direction so far through the meaningless stuff.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think he will get at least 5 on the open market provided his back gets better, but he wont get the term he is looking for.

What the Sens should do, IMO, is to cave to his price but sign him to a 2 year term.

What the Sens will do, IMO, and delude themselves into thinking they are overloaded with NHL D and ship him out.

The problem is term, not dollars with Methot.

Derivation

Jan 4, 2010
Z Michalek would be a nice pick up.

To OTT: Z.Michalek + Vermette

To ARI: Methot + Greening + 4th

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I dont like our defense at all without Methot.

We need another top 2-3 defender alongside Methot, not without him.

I'd only be ok if we packaged Methot for a slightly better defender or for top LW spot to play with Zibanejad.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Z.Michalek is a UFA in a year. If we want him I'm sure his brother could put in a good word and we could sign him at the cost of no assets.

Although I should note that that package heavily favours the Sens and we'd be fools not to take it if it was on the table.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
His family's future is already secure compared to the vast majority of Canadians.

What's your point? He works in an industry where his skills are very desirable. If Dan Boyle can get a 2-year, $9M contract at his age and deteriorating skills and Anton Stralman could get $22.5M on a five-year deal, Methot should get more, and he should cash in if he can. It's a business, and the union also wouldn't approve of him taking less than his market value.

Even if he got traded, he'll still cash in. He'll be 30 years old next off-season, in the prime of his career. He's a #2 defenceman, #3 guy at worse, and those guys get paid. Even if he had a somewhat down year, some team will show him the money.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
You'd think that his injury would show him the risk of not extending early. Murray would look pretty bad poneying up Orpik money to a guy on IR.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
My point was about getting a top 4 D. The return on Legwand is not a top 4 D.

I don't see how anyone is trading a top 4 D, or a potential top 4 D until the deadline. Don't know of any team that has too many great defenseman, they are a hot commodity.

There are plenty of forwards around the league to trade for, not many d available unless they are bottom pairing calibre. (We have enough of those guys as is.)

My point is that if the Sens are serious in acquiring an impact defenseman via trade, they may have to wait until other teams are under the gun to make that trade, unless they plan on overpaying.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

mm i dont know why the coyotes would say yes to this.
The big target should be E Kane. How we acquire him, i have no idea.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
The problem is term, not dollars with Methot.

I concur and would also think a NMC is being balked at by Murray as well.

Methot now has to (re) prove himself here as to what his level of commitment is. 4.5-4.75 is the figure; no NMC; 2 years would be my guess as to the offer. And that is a good contract from BM for the team.

He'd bring a 1st back from the right team at the right time as a part of a package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad