Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I think Pageau is still French even when he's down :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Personally, i guess i would take one more try at a contract if and when he becomes healthy....if it still drags on i would move him ASAP. I am not as high on Methot as a number of you are and feel his minutes could likely be replaced within the org.

BigBush*

I want Methot because I want a good D partner for Karlsson to play with.
Keith, Weber, Subban, Chara, none of those guys play with a player like Cowen

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I want Methot because I want a good D partner for Karlsson to play with.
Keith, Weber, Subban, Chara, none of those guys play with a player like Cowen

I agree allthough i do not see Methot as a perfect match on that top line, imo he is placed there because we are so weak on defence. I believe all the guys you listed play with far superior #2's. EK deserves a competent partner, and thus this is the number one need on this team imo a legit #2 dman. All that said it is basically impossible to trade for one right now and very few come up in UFA so.....lol

Is the Methot father stuff a joke? Assumed from his Twitter presence he likes to just chill with the bro's and play puck, didn't think he was into makin babies yet.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That doesn't mean he shouldn't maximize he possible earnings.

I agree. I don't denigrate him nor any other players trying to get the best salary and term possible. I view the ELC and RFA contracts as a form of collusion against players which restricts their salaries compared to UFAs. This could be challenged some day by the Players Association.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I agree. I don't denigrate him nor any other players trying to get the best salary and term possible. I view the ELC and RFA contracts as a form of collusion against players which restricts their salaries compared to UFAs. This could be challenged some day by the Players Association.

What?

The whole point of ELC's and RFA is too keep your own drafted players for a certain amount of years. Once you hit UFA, you can earn top dollar, if you weren't already through extensions.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Personally, i guess i would take one more try at a contract if and when he becomes healthy....if it still drags on i would move him ASAP. I am not as high on Methot as a number of you are and feel his minutes could likely be replaced within the org.

I think Methot is a very decent defensive Dman who is mobile and can make a good first pass, skate the puck out of the D zone and add a physical presence. There is no one better than him, other than Karlsson.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Cant say what they spoke at home, but anytime I was around the Methot family they were speaking english. His dad certainly has an accent, but his mother doesnt and neither of the kids did.

I wonder what language his 1.5 children (3 x 0.5) speak?

I think Methot is a very decent defensive Dman who is mobile and can make a good first pass, skate the puck out of the D zone and add a physical presence. There is no one better than him, other than Karlsson.

There's no one better than him on this team but that's not saying much.
I like Methot too but its not like we can give him a blank cheque

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Cant say what they spoke at home, but anytime I was around the Methot family they were speaking english. His dad certainly has an accent, but his mother doesnt and neither of the kids did.

His family is from Quebec. Family reunions are in Quebec and he is one of the few players that will answer questions in French.

My family is from Quebec and we only speak English in my house.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

What?

The whole point of ELC's and RFA is too keep your own drafted players for a certain amount of years. Once you hit UFA, you can earn top dollar, if you weren't already through extensions.

see: http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2012/12/18/3779076/nhl-lockout-2012-owners-capitalism#comments

See: http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3151&context=dlj

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder what language his 1.5 children (3 x 0.5) speak?

There's no one better than him on this team but that's not saying much.
I like Methot too but its not like we can give him a blank cheque

I agree. The fact that we have only 1 defenceman equal to or better than him shows up the weakness of this team. No blank cheque for Methot. 4.5 to 5.0 seems reasonable to me, for 3 to 5 years. The other options aren't very good.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
His family is from Quebec. Family reunions are in Quebec and he is one of the few players that will answer questions in French.

He lived in the southend of Ottawa though. My fathers family is from Quebec, but Im not french. I just doubt he would identify as francophone like JGP or Chiasson would.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Doesn't the first link just re-iterate why RFA and ELC's are necessary?

The second link is asking for all players to be UFA essentially, which is exactly what the NHL doesn't want. There won't be "franchise" tags. If that were to happen, what is the point of the draft? There is no worry of any of that happening, none.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008

There was an article in the citizen this summer about marc methots family reunion in St bernardin ON. So he's a Franco ontarian

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
There was an article in the citizen this summer about marc methots family reunion in St bernardin ON. So he's a Franco ontarian

You are correct, I thought it was in Quebec. I was going off the one from when he was traded. I thought it was in Quebec but I found the video and it was in St. Bernardin too.

[NHL]183562&catid=1196[/NHL]

orkid

Jun 25, 2014
If the team starts winning games out of the gate without Methot, you can bet he'll be traded once he's healthy.

To me, this is a scary thought. Our defence is significantly better with him paired with Karlsson instead of Cowen.

And what exactly are we supposed to trade him for? Don't get me wrong, he has a relatively high value as a rental but if all we're seeing in return are mid-prospects or 2nd/3rd round draft picks, that's not going to solve the problem we will still have at D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad