Marc Methot II: Wheel of Fortune Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Only sign him if it's a smart deal for us. The dollars per year doesn't matter, it's the length of the contract that is important. Nothing over 4 years, please!

These posts always confuse me.

Methot signs for four years: "Yes omg amazing deal."

Methot signs for five years, just one extra year: "Wtf were they thinking, we are doomed now."

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
These posts always confuse me.

Methot signs for four years: "Yes omg amazing deal."

Methot signs for five years, just one extra year: "Wtf were they thinking, we are doomed now."

Well, ideally, I would want a 2-year deal. I can live with a 3-year deal. A 4-year deal would be the most I can stomach.

Best I can explain it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, ideally, I would want a 2-year deal. I can live with a 3-year deal. A 4-year deal would be the most I can stomach.

Best I can explain it.

Idk, it all depends on the numbers. If we can sign him for 3 yrs at 5.5 per, or sign him for 5 years at 4.5 per, I think i'd rather the latter even with the risk of him regressing in the last 3 years of the deal. Is 4.5 going to be a bad deal in years 3-5 for him? Idk, certainly not if his still a top pair guy, or even a legit top 4 guy. If he's a 3rd pair guy or worse than maybe we lose the deal, but imo that depends on where the cap is at that point.

Speaking of the cap, it'll be interesting to see; with the Canadian dollar declining, and cap not getting nearly the increase originally forecasted, perhaps Methot's numbers come down a bit.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Idk, it all depends on the numbers. If we can sign him for 3 yrs at 5.5 per, or sign him for 5 years at 4.5 per, I think i'd rather the latter even with the risk of him regressing in the last 3 years of the deal. Is 4.5 going to be a bad deal in years 3-5 for him? Idk, certainly not if his still a top pair guy, or even a legit top 4 guy. If he's a 3rd pair guy or worse than maybe we lose the deal, but imo that depends on where the cap is at that point.

Speaking of the cap, it'll be interesting to see; with the Canadian dollar declining, and cap not getting nearly the increase originally forecasted, perhaps Methot's numbers come down a bit.

I'm not really worried about the cap. It's that stupid wonky back of his that worries me. If he ends up missing a significant amount of games every year and we have to make a trade to bring in someone else to cover for him (and presumably have to give up a prospect, pick or roster player), that would really hurt us. I seriously doubt any of our Bingo kids will be ready for any kind of significant callup in the next two years.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The one final year where he might not be worth the full dollar-value of his contract for that season isn't a big deal and if it is then the problem would be with management inability to stagger contract expirations properly

If one year of less than optimal production prevents us from retaining a valuable player then we have serious problems

Last edited:

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Was it Lebrun who said that if Methot wasn't signed by the end of this week, the Sens would start shopping him?

Just sign already!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The guy is a really good interview. Very well spoken.

Best case scenario is him signed. If he needs to be traded though. So be it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It will be interesting to see what the Sens do with Mark Methot & whether he is re-signed. While I think he should be re-signed, I could also see a scenario where he gets moved. Looking at the Kane & Winnipeg situation I could see where Winnipeg could use a Methot & Neil in their lineup for a playoff push & as part of a package for Kane. The money is also fairly close to consider, they could add Puempel (a blue chip prospect) & a 2nd rd pick & that might be more than enough & Ottawa could afford it.

This way Ottawa keeps their 1st rd pick & still have some other assets to make another deal either at the trade deadline or at the draft. The question is if Winnipeg thinks those two would help them in any playoff run & whether they would be able to afford to re-sign Methot. I also wonder if Michalek wouldn`t be a better option to replace Kane for Winnipeg? Michalek is a good two way forward who can also score even though he is having a down yr with Ottawa which could easily change with another team & he plays LW. Craig Anderson could be another player the Jets could want to stabilise their goaltending going into the playoffs.

IMO Ottawa has the right assets to make a deal but it will all depend on what Winnipeg wants & whether they want to make the deal before the playoffs or at the draft. If it is at the draft then I assume they want a 1st rd pick, if they deal before the deadline then they want playoff help.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Winnipeg has too many D, they won't want Methot in a package deal for Kane

Might they be interested in getting a package that includes Methot for Kane and a D? Who knows...

Murray has options in terms of Methot so even if he doesn't stay, obviously the preferred scenario is he stays, I'm optimistic we'll get something worthwhile that will make the less desired scenario more palatable

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Murray has options in terms of Methot so even if he doesn't stay, obviously the preferred scenario is he stays, I'm optimistic we'll get something worthwhile that will make the less desired scenario more palatable

He will be signed.

Murray is negotiating right down to the last minute, with an artificial deadline set as a scare tactic.

But there's no way they trade him over a few $100k / yr, when they are already wasting $2.3M (or whatever) on Greening in Bingo, and several other overpaid vets on the big team.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
IMO, the Sens have delayed signing Methot because as a defensive D he's asking too much and wants too much term. They may feel they already have that type of player in the system who can play that role in a couple of years at a much lower price. Ideally what the Sens want is another offensive D at a similar or lower asking price but not necessarily to play with EK. The teams that want Methot for a cup run are probably interested in him because he's a pending UFA so they want him just to finish the season. They may also be cash strapped so they have been waiting close to the deadline before making offers for him. By stalling the Sens have been hoping more suitors would come forward driving up the offers from contenders.

That said unless the offers are decent and soon forthcoming they will be forced to re-sign him because I doubt they will wait until the 11th hour on March 2nd and risk losing him for nothing.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg has too many D, they won't want Methot in a package deal for Kane

Might they be interested in getting a package that includes Methot for Kane and a D? Who knows...

Dude, what's with you and Kane? Like every second post here you mention how we should trade for him. We're not getting him, Murray tends to avoid players with attitude problems.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
We are in so much trouble if they let him go.
If the numbers are true, and we don't sign him, where else are we going to find a Top pairing d-man that plays sound defence, and covers up for EK for under $5M?

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON

Best I can explain it.

Methot would never sign a 2/3/4 year deal though so who cares what we can stomach?
He's 29 years old and its incredibly unlikely that his value will be the same or higher in 2-4 years than it is now, and I'm sure he knows that.

On the UFA market he'll be getting 5-7 and even if he takes a tad less money to stay here I doubt the term is even negotiable, its got to be 5+

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
We are in so much trouble if they let him go.
If the numbers are true, and we don't sign him, where else are we going to find a Top pairing d-man that plays sound defence, and covers up for EK for under $5M?

Just out of curiosity, on how many other teams do you estimate Methot to be a top pairing defenceman? And of those how many would pay him $5.5 million?

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Just out of curiosity, on how many other teams do you estimate Methot to be a top pairing defenceman? And of those how many would pay him $5.5 million?

I think the first question is irrelevant - should be more like legit top 4. I think he fits that for most teams, and most teams are looking to add one.

I've said many times though, nobody needs this guy more than us.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa

In the open market he'll easily get $5.5M.

He could be a top pairing on a lot of teams IMO.
Too many too name.

He doesn't have that rocket shot, but that doesn't mean he's not a top guy.

Like the poster above me noted. He's a number 1 here. And for $5M, he's worth it.

Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
didnt he say Melnyk was hacking him from Ukraine?

Yost was one of the best Sens writers on the net....then he went on this weird crusade against Melnyk and his finances and it got weird.

It's good that he's working for TSN now and focused on analytics. That whole Melynk vs. Yost thing made them both look really bad.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Now now, I'm sure there's plenty of good writers at Hockeybuzz somewhere.

You can sometimes find diamonds in all kinds of roughage.

You can?!?

(runs out to rummage through dumpster roughage...)

p.s. Alliteration *****ezzz!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad