Marc Methot II: Wheel of Fortune Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
At this point I think the salary isn't the important thing with Methot. I'm sure the money is available but it's probably term and his injury that are a little concerning. I'm sure Murray would be willing to give him 5.5 on a 2-3 year deal but Methot will likely want 5.5 for 5-6-7 years since it's his last shot at a big contract. We know Methot's back is still bothering him so do you really take that chance?! Some say yes without thinking too much but when you really take a second to think about it you better be damn sure his back is fine before you end up spending nearly 30M on a player and then end up with a Horton type situation.

I love Methot, but unless it's conclusive on his back I'd rather trade him .

Agreed.

Only way I sign him for more than 3 years is if there's some sort of guarantee on that back.

Overall, it's a really ****** situation. The team is screwed without him, we're screwed if we sign him and he gets injured all the time, and we're not going to get much of anything for him as a rental.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
What happened the last time Murray tried to haggle over a contract? Oh ya, our Captain left town.

I'm sure Methot would love to stay in Ottawa, but the guy knows he's going to get paid in FA. Other GM's are probably salivating at the mouth knowing he's coming up. I'm sure Murray is getting phone calls every single day from other GM's.

At this point you basically have to pay him whatever he wants, as long as it's less than Karlsson.

I'm completely dead serious when I say that he could $6 mill AAV contract on July 1.

Methot knows it, his agent knows it and Murray knows it. It's really up to Melynk at this point. Either he wants his team to be successful or he wants to pinch every penny he can.

I agree 100%

Methot wants to stay, is willing to take a bit of a discount, and is the best fit to play with EK.

If we dont sign him to what he is asking ww will be searching for his replacement and pay him what methot is asking

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
Are you guys seriously arguing about a goal we allowed in a 4-1 win a week or so ago over one of our biggest rival?

:laugh:

You are right, their is no sens.

But my point was that some people see players as superstar where others see them as improving. For those that see them as improving realize that it's by making mistakes and recognizing those mistakes that you learn and become a superstar. :laugh:

Backpass

Jan 4, 2015
The last time they had a contract discussion, the Methot camp wanted a long term commitment from Ottawa, I believe it was 5 or 6 years, at 5 millions, but Murray only made 4.6 millions offer and I don't recall if it the length of the term was specified.

As for Methot staying healthy, not sure if it's positive or not but from what I've been told his back problem are not related to a back hernia but rather to his back muscles. One thing I don't want to see happening is to see him walk out of the door on a trade.

There is no one on our team that is best to play with Karlsson. We all know what he can bring to the downside of Karlsson's game, so lets not make the mistake that Montreal made with Chelios. If you remember Chelios was traded to the Hawks as at that time it was believed Chelios knees were done. Well Chelios ended playing in the league for 19 years after leaving Montreal and he stayed a dominant player.

Would I offer him a 5 or 6 year contract at 5 millions, yes I would, but I would make darn sure there is no no trade clause in his contract. You don't trade a player when he's playing good for you, you trade him when it's not working out.

Last edited:

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
At this point I think the salary isn't the important thing with Methot. I'm sure the money is available but it's probably term and his injury that are a little concerning. I'm sure Murray would be willing to give him 5.5 on a 2-3 year deal but Methot will likely want 5.5 for 5-6-7 years since it's his last shot at a big contract. We know Methot's back is still bothering him so do you really take that chance?! Some say yes without thinking too much but when you really take a second to think about it you better be damn sure his back is fine before you end up spending nearly 30M on a player and then end up with a Horton type situation. You give him a 5-7 year deal theres a big chance he'll regress also with the style he plays but I wouldn't be too worried about that.

I love Methot, but unless it's conclusive on his back I'd rather trade him .

The Horton situation is actually not as bad as it seems and is better then a guy who plays off and on all year like lupul. When a player is seriously injured they go on ltir don't count vs the cap and most of the actual money in the deal is paid by out by whatever company insured the contract.

fringie

May 20, 2013
Kanata
I sure hope we can sign Methot, this team needs his veteran presence and overall stability on the backend, desperately. You can NOT trade him for picks, if anything, we need to strength D core, not weaken it. Cowen, Boro or Wier are not capable of what he does now. Need to get him signed. $5 mil x 5, if that is still enough, add extra year if necessary. It is meaningless to trade him for picks, unless you get back a legimate high end young player that can play in the lineup right away, even that I am not sure I would do (depending on the player of course), do not think that would be available though.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
The only way I could see the SENs not trying to sign him is if the "rumoured" off ice stuff has become a distraction. If there is more to the story than we know then I can see the SENs wanting to unload him since they have been down this road before. If everything is manageable off ice I would sign him in a minute!
4 yrs at 5 million

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Not allowed to talk about his off-ice activites on HF

His injury history isn't the greatest but when he's on he's about as rock-solid as can be

He wasn't great last year but he was playing through injury which proved to be a very bad idea since it took him out for a very long time

Lesson learned though hopefully and he'll pay more attention to his body going forward

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Why haven't we been hearing much about his contract negotiations? Seems very strange given that we're now a month away from the trade deadline.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The only way I could see the SENs not trying to sign him is if the "rumoured" off ice stuff has become a distraction. If there is more to the story than we know then I can see the SENs wanting to unload him since they have been down this road before. If everything is manageable off ice I would sign him in a minute!
4 yrs at 5 million

At this point, seeing how amazing he and Karlsson are together, I'd set up a bar right inside the dressing room for him if need be. We've all seen it, the Sens are WAY better with Methot and more importantly for the long term want of a Cup, so is Karlsson.

Sign! Sign! Sign!

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Sens pissed me off around this time last year by signing that UFA to be, time to correct the ship and resign this one.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Basically three weeks to go and not a peep or leaked rumor out there.

At what point does Murray put Methot out there? He'll need time to negotiate a return, but a lot of teams would like to have him for the run.

Is it fair to expect this to be "the" week to get a deal done. I'd say so.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
In the past, all we would hear was how one side has shut down talks for the time being, or the other side being unhappy about something or other.

I'll gladly take the silence for the time being.

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
I'm sure Murray has already started shopping around Methot incase negotiations go south, I could see a signing or a trade going down as late as the morning of the deadline, could go down to the wire.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Basically three weeks to go and not a peep or leaked rumor out there.

At what point does Murray put Methot out there? He'll need time to negotiate a return, but a lot of teams would like to have him for the run.

Is it fair to expect this to be "the" week to get a deal done. I'd say so.

Trade deadline is still 3 weeks away; teams with cap trouble will wait until the last day to make a trade.

Teams in slot 6-10 trying to make the playoffs would certainly try to have him now but Murray is still trying to sign Methot, so it's normal to have no movement here.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I'm sure Murray has already started shopping around Methot incase negotiations go south, I could see a signing or a trade going down as late as the morning of the deadline, could go down to the wire.

Ya that wouldn't surprise me at all, iirc we did the same thing a few years ago with Neil and Kuba.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch · 27m 27 minutes ago
Methot on contract: "We're doing what we can to get something done." #Sens

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
At least they are still talking.

It was mentioned above that if he does not sign, we'll be looking for his replacement and pay them what Methot wanted.

The back is the issue and Murray is smart to do due diligence.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch · 27m 27 minutes ago
Methot on contract: "We're doing what we can to get something done." #Sens

Sounds good. Also...

Wayne Scanlan ‏@HockeyScanner 29m29 minutes ago Ottawa, Ontario

Marc Methot sure sounds like a guy who wants to stay in Ottawa. Spoke optimistically of the Sens future and his close ties to Erik Karlsson

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Only sign him if it's a smart deal for us. The dollars per year doesn't matter, it's the length of the contract that is important. Nothing over 4 years, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad