Marc Bergevin: Our fearless leader? - Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Most GMs are not hired and kept on the job to placate the media.

Most GMs are hired to win.
Not in Montreal................proof is right in front of everyone, by placating to the media, we have become an awful team with the people right at the TOP not accountable. 9 years later, as we have progressively gotten worse, the most important thing in all of this has been to protect Bergevin's poor performance....rinse and repeat....all excuses, welcome.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The media does play a role, and as you say not always good.
But when enough is enough, they can play a role, that could help us become a better organization, just by simply reporting the facts.....and the facts are the last 5-6 seasons we have been run by idiots...

Who in the media is going to improve things? I don't read La Presse enough, there may be some sanity there, but the Gazette is Torontonian, there is no English TV media for the habs, RDS and TVA are mostly terrible ex-player/coaches with axes to grind (I like Boucher). Morrissette is a happy nutjob but still a nutjob. The Antichambre has improved but it's only starting to crawl out of a huge hole.

The current media can be very shrill, run people out of town, randomly praise local guys, but they are unlikely to help the team. As it stands they are a detriment to the habs chances of success.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
This should be the plan for the team and us right now. Hopefully without Bergevin.

giphy.gif

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Player don’t want to be here because we have a shitty team that’s poorly constructed and where all the elite talent (well we don’t really have an elite talent) is way older than our youngest players.

They also don’t want to play for a GM thats got a history of shredding a player each season for failing him in the public market to take the heat off him for building such a f***ed up team.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Who in the media is going to improve things? I don't read La Presse enough, there may be some sanity there, but the Gazette is Torontonian, there is no English TV media for the habs, RDS and TVA are mostly terrible ex-player/coaches with axes to grind (I like Boucher). Morrissette is a happy nutjob but still a nutjob. The Antichambre has improved but it's only starting to crawl out of a huge hole.

The current media can be very shrill, run people out of town, randomly praise local guys, but they are unlikely to help the team. As it stands they are a detriment to the habs chances of success.
Geoff Mol$on has no balls.................he reacts to what the media spews.....surely the guys in the media are tired of losing with a clown GM? They have treated Bergevin like Drouin, with kid gloves......if they take those off, Geoff will react.
That being said, he IS a bigger problem than Bergevin, but one step at a time.......I am far from a fan of the media in Montreal, they have been perimeter pansies for the last 5-6 years......but my hope they like us, will finally say, enough is enough...

Reactions: widowmaker

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Player don’t want to be here because we have a shitty team that’s poorly constructed and where all the elite talent (well we don’t really have an elite talent) is way older than our youngest players.

They also don’t want to play for a GM thats got a history of shredding a player each season for failing him in the public market to take the heat off him for building such a f***ed up team.
I can only imagine what Anderson and Toffolli chat about? Something like, WTF is going on, imagine if we had had not been picked up??
Players want to win first, get paid second as their career moves forward.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
You know, if MB survives this year it's a bad outlook for the future.

The team looks brutal. You have a player taking a personal leave. We had young players being in the receiving end of head shots with no response from the veterans. The younger players are looking like they're trying to carry the load, and failing. The team isn't exciting. The coaches have been fired. Then there's the cap/recall fiasco.

I mean, you have to think ownership has seen enough. This is the result of 9 years of building and learning in the job.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Posted this in the GDT last night:

Just an absolutely trash team. Seeing Reilly and Galchenyuk I remembered they were picked back to back. Habs and leafs were lottery teams in Bergevins first year. Since then leafs have rebuilt properly and Montreal has done a few half baked re-tools.

How can you look at this game and say, yeah, I rather habs continue down this path vs doing what leafs did? This team has to be the worst max cap team since the inception of the cap.

Habs haven't had a top 10 point scorer since the 1980s. 35 years without a top offensive talent. Who on this team will break that streak? No one. Not a single prospect either.

I've been on this board for 15 years. Check my posts I'm rarely negative as a fan. But this team is absolutely trash and I don't have much reason to be optimistic as long as Bergevin runs the team, as long as Habs are anchored to the albatross contracts of Price and Weber, and as long as the Habs lack legitimate top tier offensive talent.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

The team looks brutal. You have a player taking a personal leave. We had young players being in the receiving end of head shots with no response from the veterans. The younger players are looking like they're trying to carry the load, and failing. The team isn't exciting. The coaches have been fired. Then there's the cap/recall fiasco.

I mean, you have to think ownership has seen enough. This is the result of 9 years of building and learning in the job.

...all of which proves that Molson is just as bad as Bargain Bin and that this cycle of mediocrity isn't anywhere near over...more's the pity...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Just an absolutely trash team. Seeing Reilly and Galchenyuk I remembered they were picked back to back. Habs and leafs were lottery teams in Bergevins first year. Since then leafs have rebuilt properly and Montreal has done a few half baked re-tools.

How can you look at this game and say, yeah, I rather habs continue down this path vs doing what leafs did? This team has to be the worst max cap team since the inception of the cap.

Habs haven't had a top 10 point scorer since the 1980s. 35 years without a top offensive talent. Who on this team will break that streak? No one. Not a single prospect either.

I've been on this board for 15 years. Check my posts I'm rarely negative as a fan. But this team is absolutely trash and I don't have much reason to be optimistic as long as Bergevin runs the team, as long as Habs are anchored to the albatross contracts of Price and Weber, and as long as the Habs lack legitimate top tier offensive talent.
The leafs hired the right people......their rebuild has had bumps, but they have been doing it properly. Yes, they got lucky with Matthews, but so be it. Their fanbase embraced the rebuild, and they have been a far better run organization, than the Mol$on/Bergevin habs...it's not even been close.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Molson is a ridiculously bad businessman if he didn’t come from money he’d be waiting tables at the Greenspot

Once you have enough money more just accumulates if you let it. You have to be really, really bad, like Trump/Ballard bad, to lose significant money when you start with lots.

It's not quite as bad as when Ballard owned the Leafs, but it's a similar problem. The change in money relating to the habs doesn't really have an impact. Habs have huge debt from Gillette (borrowed money against them, used it for other stuff, sold, left the debt) so Molson can just tack more on.

With no fans in person this year it matters less than usual, but the Bell Center is normally full even when the habs are bad. It's not quite the TO level of sellouts for intentionally bad teams with fans trying and failing to boycott, but a few hundred empty seats aren't enough to make Molson take a back seat and let a pro manage hockey operations.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
This is what i don't get from Molson (or Bergevin for that matter)

They don't think Montreal fans will accept 3-5 years of sucking hard (or tanking) to pick up potentially of a couple of cornerstone players in the draft and building a team that can compete for many years, but they think Montreal fans are ok with somewhat sucking for 10 years and getting nowhere?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The leafs hired the right people......their rebuild has had bumps, but they have been doing it properly. Yes, they got lucky with Matthews, but so be it. Their fanbase embraced the rebuild, and they have been a far better run organization, than the Mol$on/Bergevin habs...it's not even been close.

Not only that, the Leafs got in "trouble" with the league for trying to provide free extra training to their prospects (if I'm not mistaken). That's pretty freaking awesome if you ask me. I can't speak for what Montreal does but it seems far from working closely with their prospects

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Leafs are on their 4th GM since the Reilly draft pick. "Since then leafs have rebuilt properly...." is a bit of an overstatement as Burkie and Nonis were trying to win now but both crashed big time.

Reactions: BLONG7

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Leafs are on their 4th GM since the Reilly draft pick. "Since then leafs have rebuilt properly...." is a bit of an overstatement as Burkie and Nonis were trying to win now but both crashed big time.

Shannahan executed a pretty fantastic franchise rebuild... They still haven't taken it to a cup win, but after a decade of being as bad/worse as we've been the last 4-5 years, the leafs have been a top-tier/contending team for last 2-3 years and look poised to remain in that upper-echelon club for at least another 3-4 years if not more.

He, like Yzerman in Tampa, executed a pretty textbook rebuild that started from embracing a long-term lens and moving tactically and strategically toward that vision without sacrificing short-term concerns for long-term goal.

one can easily point to missteps here and there, but when viewed as a whole, both of those leaders managed to take what they learnt in being part of the Red Wings dynasty and incorporate the key elements into their franchise overhauls, successfully so.

Sad thing is that Yzerman is now well underway to doing the same thing in Detroit... should the divisions re-set as they were, we'll have 3 franchises in direct competition that are building the right way, plus Boston that, for all of Neely's issues, is pretty damn good at keeping excellence clearly in their focus.

We desperately need leadership overhaul if we want to avoid this 5 year run of mediocrity turning into another decade of ineptness

Reactions: dcyhabs

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
This is what i don't get from Molson (or Bergevin for that matter)

They don't think Montreal fans will accept 3-5 years of sucking hard (or tanking) to pick up potentially of a couple of cornerstone players in the draft and building a team that can compete for many years, but they think Montreal fans are ok with somewhat sucking for 10 years and getting nowhere?

Keep in mind back when Bergevin was hired both Molson and Bergevin were expecting several years of sucking hard and rebuilding through top picks. It never happened because the team wasn't as bad as either thought but it was still the plan and shows that the arguments that Molson/fans wouldn't accept a rebuild to be nonsense.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I wonder what’s Marc Bergevin’s next excuse after 9 years as GM

1. “Our first goal will be to make the playoffs and, once you're in, anything's possible.”

2. “Carey Price got injured.”

3. "It's going to be them that will make the decision for us," . "They're a part of our future, but it's up to them. They're going in the right direction."

4. "Our team isn't quite mature yet."

5. "I am convinced this will make the Canadiens a better team."

6. “The answer is in the room”

7. “As general manager, I take my share of responsibility. It’s on me.”

8. “It’s on the players.”

9. “Injuries are not the reason we’re here today, but Shea Weber missed a lot of time and I feel like no one really stepped up after that..”

10. “I feel really good about our team and if I can make it better, I will.”

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
That's the difference between having a plan and reacting to circumstances. Sticking to the plan would have meant potentially trading Price so as to succeed in tanking, trading for someone younger than Weber, not trading Sergachev for an older player, bringing back Markov as a player, and possibly as a coach longer term, not trading picks, not buying at the deadlines.

Bergevin is reactive and not all that perceptive. His moves aren't bad individually but they aren't linked or planned. He would make a good assistant GM "hey, go talk to some GM and get a deal on some player" but he's not good at hiring, managing, or planning. As a GM those are key parts of the job. MB is good at the details but he misses the main points.

I sometimes wonder how much his player decisions and acquisitions are determined or requested by the coach. It would be a good thing if he'd hired better coaches...

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON

Well, I think that only strengthens my opinion on it? Both teams were lottery teams in 2012. Both initially took the retool approach but once the leafs retooling didn't work they pivoted to a proper rebuild. Hans just kept retooling. The results speak for themselves.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

That's kind of a stretch to begin with.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Shannahan executed a pretty fantastic franchise rebuild... They still haven't taken it to a cup win, but after a decade of being as bad/worse as we've been the last 4-5 years, the leafs have been a top-tier/contending team for last 2-3 years and look poised to remain in that upper-echelon club for at least another 3-4 years if not more.

He, like Yzerman in Tampa, executed a pretty textbook rebuild that started from embracing a long-term lens and moving tactically and strategically toward that vision without sacrificing short-term concerns for long-term goal.

one can easily point to missteps here and there, but when viewed as a whole, both of those leaders managed to take what they learnt in being part of the Red Wings dynasty and incorporate the key elements into their franchise overhauls, successfully so.

Sad thing is that Yzerman is now well underway to doing the same thing in Detroit... should the divisions re-set as they were, we'll have 3 franchises in direct competition that are building the right way, plus Boston that, for all of Neely's issues, is pretty damn good at keeping excellence clearly in their focus.

We desperately need leadership overhaul if we want to avoid this 5 year run of mediocrity turning into another decade of ineptness

I agree with everything you said. My only point was that the Leafs were not really re-tooling in the 2012 draft when they took Rielly. They were actually trying to contend and had some major screw ups before and after that 2012 draft that was sandwiched by the Kessel trade (two 1sts that became Seguin and D.Hamilton) and the memorable "18-wheeler going off a cliff" game 7 in Boston. Not to mention horrible signings, waffles being thrown on the ice, etc. A lot happened between 2012 and when Shanahan came in and tore things down to execute his Shana-plan.

Well, I think that only strengthens my opinion on it? Both teams were lottery teams in 2012. Both initially took the retool approach but once the leafs retooling didn't work they pivoted to a proper rebuild. Hans just kept retooling. The results speak for themselves.

Your exact quote was "Since then leafs have rebuilt properly...." in reference to the 2012 draft. I'm really sorry but Burke and then Nonis going for it multiple times after the 2012 draft followed by a rock bottom nose dive before Shanahan tore it all down doesn't strengthen your point. I don't think the Clarkson, Robidas and Phaneuf contracts were components to any proper rebuild.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
The media in Montreal, whatever the language, is not helping the team to succeed. The less power they have the better. It's important for the coach and GM to ignore the media. The need is for a good GM and a good coach to ignore the media and get the team playing good hockey. The media absolutely does not help with these goals.
Media has nothing to do with the moves and plan the GM has in place. How has being a below average team for most of his 8 year tenure catering to the media??? I thought bergevin was supposed to be the boss now youre saying the media affects how he's building the team? Sounds like the gm/owner are the problem not the media. Toronto's media is much worst and they managed to ice a competitive team after a rebuild that fans openly accepted. The media/fans can be bad for certain individual players struggling but to say the media is the reason our GM and Owner are incompetant is non sense. Im sure bergevin would love to man up to the media and tell them all to shut up and go away but its kinda hard when you constantly ice shit teams isint it. He kinda looks like an idiot when he tries battling the media because his track record as a gm is absolutely horrific

Reactions: dcyhabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad