Marc Bergevin: Our fearless leader? - Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Which is pretty crazy when you think about it.

That team was in a worse position in 2012 and currently have a roster better than anything MB has ever assembled.

I hate to defend Bergevin, but the Leafs also got lucky by winning the lottery and getting a franchise player and also being Toronto and getting John Tavares. If either of those things don't happen, the Leafs aren't anywhere near as good as they are now.

I still think Bergevin needs to go, but comparing the two isn't totally apples to apples.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
After the house of cards collapsed this season he has no business staying as the Habs GM. It's not like he has a past track record of results that would warrant a benefit of the doubt. This year has provided a conclusive evidence that he is uncapable of building a coherent roster, no matter how many good individual moves he makes.

I thought the 2018-2019 was the year when we finally decided upon a coherent philosophy, but Bergevin just can't help himself. We preach pressure, pace and work rate, but then we ice a lumbering group of defencemen with mediocre puck moving skills AND a forward group that can't cover the ice quickly and regularly enough to provide support for those defencemen. Instead of four energetic trios, we deploy a slow center line, flanked by several slow wingers and a geriatric 4th line. I just cannot grasp how can you build a roster that directly contradicts the principles your coaches are preaching publicly.

The critics were right all along. He evaluates players in a vacuum and then collects his trophies from trades with no rhyme or reason. He does not seem to understand that Mikey Riley or Brett Kulak, while inferior players, can still be more effective than Chiarot or Edmundson if they are better suited for the system the team intends to play.

I don't see him surviving this season and I was a defender until recently.

P.S. Please delete my post from the previous thread.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I hate to defend Bergevin, but the Leafs also got lucky by winning the lottery and getting a franchise player and also being Toronto and getting John Tavares. If either of those things don't happen, the Leafs aren't anywhere near as good as they are now.
I still think Bergevin needs to go, but comparing the two isn't totally apples to apples.
All that and they still haven't won a playoff series....

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Lucky in the lottery yes but it was a plan of theirs to put themselves into positions for these lotteries to win.

If we said, I wanna be bad in 2023 to get Connor Bedard.. yes you would be lucky if you won it, but you're not gonna win it if your plan is to be a fringe play-off team with no hope to win every year.

You make your own luck, as they say

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
From @Ozymandias.

The Habs had 3 different GM’s in that time period. Cecil Hart, Jules Dugal, and Tommy Gorman. It’s frustrating as a fan that the Habs could tie that streak this season without making a change to the GM position.
People need to realize, MB is a huge problem, but we have a bigger one, who sits one notch above the GM.
Until Mol$on gets told by fans and media, to make changes, which would include taking himself out of the President's chair, then it's all a moot point.
Mol$on is the issue.
MB looks like an old man, hurting and waiting to be put down....he cracked a joke about not taking the job, if he could do this all again....................I don't think he was joking.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
People need to realize, MB is a huge problem, but we have a bigger one, who sits one notch above the GM.
Until Mol$on gets told by fans and media, to make changes, which would include taking himself out of the President's chair, then it's all a moot point.
Mol$on is the issue.
MB looks like an old man, hurting and waiting to be put down....he cracked a joke about not taking the job, if he could do this all again....................I don't think he was joking.
The extension says all you need to know. molson doesnt even care. Just as long as cap space secures the equivalent of 2 pkayoff series. If we miss yhis season while being right to the tippy top of the cap, you have to think molson finally fires the marcstro. Thats a ton of money out the window on a short season.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Marc Bergievins Voted "the Most winning-est of all his trades as GM "

I'm tired of thinking, this will finally be the last straw. I am going on the assumption he gets resigned. That way I cant be disappointed.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

There was luck, but the Leafs definitely tanked that year to try and get Matthews.
This is exactly what the Habs need to do. I get it there's no guarantee that they pick first, but they need to put themselves in the best position possible IN THE RIGHT DRAFT YEAR. This Connor Bedard kid seems legit in 2023. Sell off any assets. Ditch Weber and Price. Collect picks and prospects. I know there's a lot of luck involved, but honestly, Ottawa has a brighter future than this team right now.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Can you guys even remember what our lineup was the last time we won a playoff series without looking it up?

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Can you guys even remember what our lineup was the last time we won a playoff series without looking it up?

I know P'ti David was playing and Michou was the coach.

I'll give it a shot

Pacioretty-Desharnais-???
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Smith-Pelly-Eller-Parenteau
Weise-Mitchell-Flynn

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-???

I know we had Sergei Gonchar as #7

Price
Tokarski

Last edited:

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017

At least they drafted that elite player. We would've gone with some random jobber.

Reactions: Gravity

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I know P'ti David was playing and Michou was the coach.

I'll give it a shot

Pacioretty-Desharnais-???
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Smith-Pelly-Eller-Parenteau
Weise-Mitchell-Flynn

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-???

I know we had Sergei Gonchar as #7

Price
Tokarski
Good memory..........thought Gonchar was 55?

Reactions: Doc McKenna and the

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Current team on paper is good but Bergevin sabotaged him own ass by trading/not resigning/not planning anyone for the LD place. We have such a slow d-corps (besides Petry and Romanov), it's terrible. But the left side is straight up disgusting.

If only we could have someone like Sergatchev... It would help.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Current team on paper is good but Bergevin sabotaged him own ass by trading/not resigning/not planning anyone for the LD place. We have such a slow d-corps (besides Petry and Romanov), it's terrible. But the left side is straight up disgusting.

If only we could have someone like Sergatchev... It would help.
It has been since Markov left...........Emelin, and N8 all the same summer...............you remember that summer, it's when we added Alzner???????????????????????

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
It has been since Markov left...........Emelin, and N8 all the same summer...............you remember that summer, it's when we added Alzner???????????????????????

Bro, it was the worst offseason I can remember from top of my head.

Everything you said but it wasn't even the worst part lol

The worst part was loosing Radulov for nothing. FOR NOTHING.

I still have nightmares from this summer.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Bro, it was the worst offseason I can remember from top of my head.

Everything you said but it wasn't even the worst part lol

The worst part was loosing Radulov for nothing. FOR NOTHING.

I still have nightmares from this summer.

Plus trading our best D prospect for lazy bum Drouin lmao, what a joke that he's still here running things almost 4 years later when he should have been fired on the spot after that disastrous offseason.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

While this is true:

-Toronto still had a true rebuild strategy. We don't know if Bergevin was allowed to rebuild, but even if Toronto didn't have Matthews, but Laine/Dubois, Tkachuk, etc. they'd still be pretty damn good (and likely still have Kadri).
-Being Toronto and getting Tavares is only half of the story. Tavares wasn't going to sign with Toronto (much like all the other great Ontarian UFAs that Toronto wiffed on) if he didn't see a great future there. Build it and they will come.

Toronto rebuilt with vision and focused early on spending and building with bright people the largest data and analytic, sports science and scouting departments in the NHL to develop a competitive advantages and focused on drafting and developing. They got lucky for sure, but they made sure they were in a position to make good on that luck.

Bergevin either couldn't or wouldn't pick a direction and tried to have it both ways. And aside from his trap-era view of building D-cores, he's probably done as good a job as you could expect when not picking a lane. But his D evaluation has long been a major weakness that is coming home to roost now and we're seeing what happens when you build around mid-30s, no star forwards and D core with one guy that can move the puck.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
If Bergevin is fired, Could offering a big contract to Chris Drury be an option ? He could bring Danny B with him who has done his work to work in the hockey management for the bilingual thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad