Marc Bergevin: Our fearless leader? - Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Media has nothing to do with the moves and plan the GM has in place. How has being a below average team for most of his 8 year tenure catering to the media??? I thought bergevin was supposed to be the boss now youre saying the media affects how he's building the team? Sounds like the gm/owner are the problem not the media. Toronto's media is much worst and they managed to ice a competitive team after a rebuild that fans openly accepted. The media/fans can be bad for certain individual players struggling but to say the media is the reason our GM and Owner are incompetant is non sense. Im sure bergevin would love to man up to the media and tell them all to shut up and go away but its kinda hard when you constantly ice shit teams isint it. He kinda looks like an idiot when he tries battling the media because his track record as a gm is absolutely horrific

I think Toronto's new front office made the point that they were not going to listen to the zany media or the mass of fans. For years before the GMs were pretty bad and the fan base was all in on the bad decisions they made. Molson wants the fans and the media to be happy more than he wants the team to win so he listens to clueless fans and uncaring media instead of making the right decision. I thought some of the decisions, like drafting Fucale, trading for Drouin, were similar to Toronto's bad days, things that percolated in the fanbase and on TSN/RDS and appeased fans short term. In the long term it is better to make good decisions and win, but that takes brains and backbone.

The media is pretty toxic in both Toronto and Montreal, and it hurts the team. Running people out of town, Drouin, DD, Pacioretty, Kessel, whoever, it just makes the team lose value, whether it is the coach or the fans/media doing the running. It makes attracting free agents really tough.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The Habs squandering Juulsen and Mete this year in order to have Kulak, Chiarot, Merrill, and Gustafson carry them into the playoffs is peak Bergevin.

It was all about winning the next regular season game, rather than making the investment to build a stronger team.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I’d love to see one of our illustrious reporters ask Molson outright “Who is Bergevin’s Replacement” the next time they run into him. I can see his stammering reaction even now. It would be great to have a pundit state what our expectations are regardless of how this season ends. Being far out of the playoffs in our normal division is not acceptable particularly when coupled with little hope for next year.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Your exact quote was "Since then leafs have rebuilt properly...." in reference to the 2012 draft. I'm really sorry but Burke and then Nonis going for it multiple times after the 2012 draft followed by a rock bottom nose dive before Shanahan tore it all down doesn't strengthen your point. I don't think the Clarkson, Robidas and Phaneuf contracts were components to any proper rebuild.

We were both bottom feeders in 2012 when Bergevin was hired. Since then we've retooled. They retooled and then after did a proper rebuild. So since 2012, the Leafs have done a proper rebuild. I didn't say they immediately did a rebuild. I said since then.

If you're more of a visual learner I can draw you a timeline.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Worst part of this season is he's probably gonna use once again the "Get out of jail free" card of injuries.
We should have ran out of those. We sucked even when those guys were healthy. We started sliding when Armia came back and it messed up the lines that were functioning.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-5-9_13-17-48.png

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I cant believe this clown as had 5 years now to replace Markov and he has failed.

Value when he came in:
2x elite #1
1 best goaltender in all of hockey
1 borderline selke 2nd line C
1 40 goal scorer
1 #3 OA
1 35 g winger
1 22 yo 3rd line C
1 future 30g scoring rw

All those were worth at least a first rounder at the time.

Cant believe how bad he has been

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
It boggles my mind that Molson would even think about extending him. This team needs a miracle worker who will commit to a rebuild. Not a guy who thinks squueking into the playoffs is sufficient.

Reactions: dinodebino

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I cant believe this clown as had 5 years now to replace Markov and he has failed.

Value when he came in:
2x elite #1
1 40 goal scorer
1 #3 OA
1 35 g winger
1 22 yo 3rd line C
1 future 30g scoring rw

exactly, he had the chance to build a strong contender team and what did he did ? Sign Prust Bouillon and Armstrong ...

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Worst part of this season is he's probably gonna use once again the "Get out of jail free" card of injuries.

Oh 1000 %
MB will hide behind Injuries
GM will say Covid Times and all the injuries and he is proud in what MB built and how we battle through Covid Times

MB will mention Injuries and the bright future of our Rookies and the Media will laugh it up and lob soft balls at him and any hard questions will be returned with a smile and more laughs .

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It boggles my mind that Molson would even think about extending him. This team needs a miracle worker who will commit to a rebuild. Not a guy who thinks squueking into the playoffs is sufficient.
The reality is that this is what Molson wants. He wants a team that squeeks into the playoffs year after year because that's the sweet spot where he makes the most money. The Price contract is the red herring he can point to and say that he spent money on the team. Meanwhile, the Habs have come in like 10M+ under the cap for how many years. He doesn't want to build a contender because then he'd have to put real money into the team. MB is his useful idiot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Value when he came in:
2x elite #1
1 40 goal scorer
1 #3 OA
1 35 g winger
1 22 yo 3rd line C
1 future 30g scoring rw

Plus two compliance buyouts.

He inherited an aging first pairing LHD that begged for a successor and replaced his first pairing RH PMD with an older shutdown D. He should have listened to his analytics guy.

Last edited:

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
The fact they are even ''talks'' about the future around Bergevin with Molson you can tell this org has absolutely 0 direction.

We'll keep the same D as next season since

Weber-Petry-Chariot-Edmundson-Kulak-Romanov

are all still on contracts

Will let go : Staal , Weal , Frolik , Merrill , Gustaffsson , Perry.
Drouin will most likely be gone because I refuse to accept he will back in Montreal. So it's gonna be another blockbuster trade that everyone will probably overrate as usual.
Tatar will most likely be gone
Danault will be re-signed at all terrible price
Armia will probably be kept and overpaid.
Will probably lose Allen in the expansion

Toffoli-Suzuki-Anderson
Caufield-Danault-Gallagher
Poehling-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Byron-Evans-Lekhonen

Chariot-Weber
Edmundson-Petry
Romanov-Kulak

Price
Primeau

Then habs will pray once again another covid season or that everybody on this roster has the season of their career to get the 8th position in East.

Then we will wonder why our team sucks over and over ''But what if Price comebacks like 2015 '' ''What if Weber playing bad was because he was injured for 5 months''. ''Anderson will get us 60 points next season'' . ''Toffoli will keep his 50 goals pace for the second time of his career''.

Then we will hear the same excuses from the media. ''La faute des jeunes'' . ''Les blessures'' . ''L'AC Milan a raté les séries aussi ''

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
20-21: Habs were a bottom of the barrel team then COVID "miracle" happened. Team managed to make play-in and postseason as 24th seed.
21-21: Habs end up in a weak division and the only one where top 4 out of 7 make playoffs. Currently pacing for a 86pts season which would have them bottom of the 2nd tier and out of playoffs under normal circumstances.

Bergevin might be the luckiest DG ever.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You know, if MB survives this year it's a bad outlook for the future.

The team looks brutal. You have a player taking a personal leave. We had young players being in the receiving end of head shots with no response from the veterans. The younger players are looking like they're trying to carry the load, and failing. The team isn't exciting. The coaches have been fired. Then there's the cap/recall fiasco.

I mean, you have to think ownership has seen enough. This is the result of 9 years of building and learning in the job.
To me, Bergevin's future comes to 2 very simple things.

1) "We want to build through the draft". We've got the worst record since he became GM and the amount of drafted players on the team is pathetic. This has failed miserably and largely relates to the 2nd point.

2)"The goal is to make the playoffs". May seem contradictory to the first point, but good teams have drafted well later (Anaheim and Tampa for example). Our last playoff series win was in 2015 and have beaten ONE team that played their starter in all the games. It's a horrible record and a couple of surprise performances shouldn't negate how they have been awful with the same issues for decades now.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Went on Facebook this morning and surprise, surprise, there are still people actually praising Bergevin:
"Show me one bad move and I show you five good"
"He took over a crap team"
"But Anderson, Toffoli, Edmundson, Suzuki, Petry, Allen, Chiarot", one guy even mentioned Vanek....

I mean, imagine winning your trades 5-1 and still unable to build a contender, let alone a perennial playoff team.
giphy.gif

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Went on Facebook this morning and surprise, surprise, there are still people actually praising Bergevin:
"Show me one bad move and I show you five good"
"He took over a crap team"
"But Anderson, Toffoli, Edmundson, Suzuki, Petry, Allen, Chiarot", one guy even mentioned Vanek....

I mean, imagine winning your trades 5-1 and still unable to build a contender, let alone a perennial playoff team.
giphy.gif
Minus Chariot and Edmundson are the same 2 players and none of them belong in a top 4.
Anderson is on a 37 points pace in a normal season. Hes paid the same amount of money as Drouin for 7 years.

Wouldnt say 5-1 at all.
Vanek was probably is best deadline trade.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Minus Chariot and Edmundson are the same 2 players and none of them belong in a top 4.
Anderson is on a 37 points pace in a normal season. Hes paid the same amount of money as Drouin for 7 years.

Wouldnt say 5-1 at all.
Yeah, Vanek was back when there were some hope and optimism... Loved that pick up!

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Wouldnt say 5-1 at all.
Petry I would say best deadline deal for buying. Danault and Romaniv for Weise best as sellers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad