Marc Bergevin: Our fearless leader? - Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The same fans who criticize Bergevin for the Drouin/Sergachev trade now (because most of you didn't at the time), are the ones that were all over the main board wanting to trade Sergachev+2017 1st (Poehling)+Plekanec (Kulak, Olofsson?) for Matt Duchene.

Not really.

We're thousands of posters here.

You're using the stupid opinion of a few posters to try and invalidate another opinion held by many more. It's lame.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I should add one point. Bergevin held on to his cap space for 3 years, and then knowing a flat cap was coming spent all of his cap space on depth. He put himself in a situation where he or his successor won't be able to sign Danault/Tatar and will automatically be a worse team next year. The complete opposite of what Gauthier left for him(a strong core, re-signed Markov even though it wasn't a clear decision, a bunch of extra picks in the forthcoming years).

Reactions: Miller Time

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The same fans who criticize Bergevin for the Drouin/Sergachev trade now (because most of you didn't at the time), are the ones that were all over the main board wanting to trade Sergachev+2017 1st (Poehling)+Plekanec (Kulak, Olofsson?) for Matt Duchene.

I criticized Bergevin for his Drouin/Sergachev trade as it was clear this is only acceptable if we re-sign Radulov/make significant upgrades, and I never wanted Duchene or ever posted on main boards.

I'm not defending the deal, but I understood the need at the time to add offence. I wouldn't have traded Sergachev considering our lack of LD prospects at the time. If that was the ask, I would've walked away. I'm sure today's Bergevin would have as well.
If even you know we had a lack of LD, not to mention puck movers, then why make this trade?
Drouin is not Ovechkin. We traded for him and then played him as a #1C...what kind of mickey mouse organization those this?? That was the thought rationale behind this trade? Or our lack of planning was just so terrible, this is what ended up happening?..
Either way, it was embarrassing. A fireable offense in and of itself.

I just don't understand wanting to fire a GM because of a bad offseason in 2017 or not acquiring pieces that were never available. The retool started the summer of 2018 and we're still in the middle of it.
I mean...huh??
People want Bergevin fired because he's been here for a decade and we've accomplished absolutely nothing. Our team isn't even better than the one he inherited. This is unacceptable.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I am honestly so surprised how long a leash he is given considering most GMs usually get fired after not improving the team in a few years. I don't expect him to get fired since Molson won't want to take on more expenses with the losses from COVID.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I am honestly so surprised how long a leash he is given considering most GMs usually get fired after not improving the team in a few years. I don't expect him to get fired since Molson won't want to take on more expenses with the losses from COVID.
I'm not , is he really on the hot seat at all? Need sources. Don't see why he would be fired now. Aren't we in a playoff spot?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Should have flipped Subban for futures. Pea brain bargain bin thought this team could compete during the weber window lol don't you guys find that pathetic and hilarious . Dude sold a product that had no hope and ppl bought it up lmao Shea Weber le Capitaine! Et Jonathan Drouin le petit gars de chez nous! Ca sens la coupe . Is literally what bergevins brain was thinking lmfao

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I'm not , is he really on the hot seat at all? Need sources. Don't see why he would be fired now. Aren't we in a playoff spot?

Being in a playoff spot in the North Division is not a big achievement. This division is really weak in comparison to other divisions. There is no way we would have made the playoffs in the Atlantic.

Reactions: abo9

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Being in a playoff spot in the North Division is not a big achievement. This division is really weak in comparison to other divisions. There is no way we would have made the playoffs in the Atlantic.
The team is awful so making the playoffs is a win for this group anyway they can take it

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

He absolutely should have been fired at the end of 2018 but somehow the clock got reset.

Considering that, he's doing amazing. He took a team that was bottom 5 in the league and only 3 years later he might make the playoffs on the back of his new acquisitions and with lots of recently drafted players playing important roles, with a lot of prospects in the pipeline.

People think he's on the hot seat, but I'm afraid that "qualifying" for the "playoffs" last year was seen as a major success, as will be making the playoffs this year.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
He is horrible at team building.
I will repeat what i said in past, he is a good trader, but you know what a good trader should and can be an assitant GM.
A good Gm should be able to build a TEAM.
something he has no clue about, as it surely aint putting players in a box and pulling names out as it seams he is doing now.
Oh and not by changing direction 20 times in a few years

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I should add one point. Bergevin held on to his cap space for 3 years, and then knowing a flat cap was coming spent all of his cap space on depth. He put himself in a situation where he or his successor won't be able to sign Danault/Tatar and will automatically be a worse team next year. The complete opposite of what Gauthier left for him(a strong core, re-signed Markov even though it wasn't a clear decision, a bunch of extra picks in the forthcoming years).
Honestly. Danault and Tatar can walk for all I care. I can see Price waiving his no movement clause too. Theres no way he'll want to stick around after this year. They need someone to come in and rebuild. As long as that happens, I'm ok with 2-3 years of slow progression. The key is drafting high in the right years.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bergevin has made being a habs fan, absolutely exhausting.
Geoff Mol$on has been an awful owner...
Rinse and repeat.....it's only been 9 years of this, no biggie I guess.
Even the franco media in Montreal seem powerless....it's absurd.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I am on the "I hope they miss the playoffs" bandwagon.

Enough of this insanity....

The assembly of Bergevin teams has always had the stigma that there seems to be zero Coherence in anything he does. This continues to this day.
Example- while most teams are building with the intention of quick D moving the puck quickly Bergevin decides to build a slow D.

Ottawa got rid of Coburn and Gudbrandson and replaced them with 2 smaller fast D and its already paying dividends.

A ruddlerless ship is what the Habs organization has become.

Reactions: Runner77 and BLONG7

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
There's nothing "cool" about being a Canadiens fan. I think it's actually embarrassing. I'd never wear anything related to this team in public, that's how pathetic this franchise has become.

If he's back next year, I'm jumping ship. I've reached a point where watching them lose brings me more joy than watching them win. I just can't deal with this goof anymore, man.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Bergevin ran the Habs as if he was reading tea leaves in a pitcher of Molson beer

Reactions: Tyson

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Just a heads up for everybody who would want to use the schedule and the injuries to explain our poor play.....OUR COACH WAS FIRED with PRICE, GALLAGHER, TATAR.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Bergevin has made being a habs fan, absolutely exhausting.
Geoff Mol$on has been an awful owner...
Rinse and repeat.....it's only been 9 years of this, no biggie I guess.
Even the franco media in Montreal seem powerless....it's absurd.

The media in Montreal, whatever the language, is not helping the team to succeed. The less power they have the better. It's important for the coach and GM to ignore the media. The need is for a good GM and a good coach to ignore the media and get the team playing good hockey. The media absolutely does not help with these goals.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
The media in Montreal, whatever the language, is not helping the team to succeed. The less power they have the better. It's important for the coach and GM to ignore the media. The need is for a good GM and a good coach to ignore the media and get the team playing good hockey. The media absolutely does not help with these goals.
yes in NY everyone is talking about Lindor not producing (for his 300mil contract), not Lafreniere not producing...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The media does play a role, and as you say not always good.
But when enough is enough, they can play a role, that could help us become a better organization, just by simply reporting the facts.....and the facts are the last 5-6 seasons we have been run by idiots...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad