Marc Bergevin: Offseason Summertime Love Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You absolutely can. Organizations are just collections of humans... The widgets, services, tasks they produce may vary immensely, but the fundamental high-level dynamics are the same. It would take an AI led decision-making structure to create real differences at that level.

I think that under Gillette the team was much more excellence focused on ice. I may have been one of Gainey's heavier critics, but that was on his approach and pro scouting issues, his commitment to excellence was never in question imo (firing his good friend rather quickly, aggressively using his cap spending ability to reshape the roster in one fell swoop once he felt his existing core had run its course... He was willing to make the tough calls and to forge aggressively towards a clear direction, however mistaken the smurf brigade roster makeup was).

MB & Molson have been the polar opposite of Gillette & Gainey in many regards.
Do you feel Gainey during Gillette's regime, trading Ribiero for Niniimaa, was performance based?

Or was it public relations based?

I know that's just one trade...but as I said earlier, this has been consistent through every ownership group.

Perception has always been a big factor for this organization...no matter who the owner was.

Reactions: Murky and jaffy27

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Philly? Meh... Hayes is far from a game-changer and little else has changed, though they do have some players developing nicely. But then again, so does Montreal.

New Jersey is interesting because Hughes is probably starting the season. Subban's a nice add, provided he returns to form. But their season is toast unless they get solid goaltending. Schneider was a top-5 goalie whose game has totally unravelled.

Florida I agree looks really good. Their biggest weakness just became a strength with Bobrovsky in nets. The team's a safe bet to leapfrog into the playoffs.

But a few teams are likely to take a step back, with Columbus the biggest victim. Carolina and NYI lost their starting goalies, Pittsburgh lost Kessel and is heavily dependent on an aging core. And I'm on record as predicting Boston falls back significantly.

The Canadiens? As of today the established roster is slightly worse after losing Shaw, but I'm predicting one or two impact trades in the next three months. It's early July; way too soon to say how good this off season is. One key addition could make a big difference. But the wildcard for us is our excellent group of prospects. I'd expect Kotkaniemi to start making an impact this season; if we're lucky we'll also get a taste of what's to come with Poehling and Suzuki.
Some good points.

But I would favour every team you mentioned over the habs in a seven game series. But wont get to see it because Habs wont make the play offs for the fourth time in last five years.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Do you feel Gainey during Gillette's regime, trading Ribiero for Niniimaa, was performance based?

I know that's just one trade...but as I said earlier, this has been consistent through every ownership group.

Perception has always been a big factor for this organization...no matter who the owner was.

I think it was performance based.
Ribeiro's attitude & behavior behind the scenes was toxic... Sometimes moving good performers is an integral part of building a culture of excellence, as performance (especially team) is about more than just stat lines.

The return turned out to be a major fail (again, pro scouting during Gainey's tenure was problematic), but that's a different issue.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Some good points.

But I would pick every team you mentioned over the habs in a seven game series. But wont get to see it because Habs wont make the play offs.
What is the point of comparing teams at this point, 7 days into the the off-season?

There's no possible way to measure progression, regression, injuries, etc.

Reactions: Miller Time

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What useless 4th liner or 7th D will he acquire next?! Gotta catch em all!

2fn35y.jpg

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think it was performance based.
Ribeiro's attitude & behavior behind the scenes was toxic... Sometimes moving good performers is an integral part of building a culture of excellence, as performance (especially team) is about more than just stat lines.

The return turned out to be a major fail (again, pro scouting during Gainey's tenure was problematic), but that's a different issue.
Good post .. especially the bolded.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I dont know how people couldnt be happy to ser Bergevin signing a guy like Duchene or Lee. Instantly, they become our best player lol. Yeah it didnt arrive but do we want a winner team or a crap next year? Because if the season begin today, we will finish at the end. I guarantee it

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
I dont know how people couldnt be happy to ser Bergevin signing a guy like Duchene or Lee. Instantly, they become our best player lol. Yeah it didnt arrive but do we want a winner team or a crap next year? Because if the season begin today, we will finish at the end. I guarantee it

Lee our best player? What?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Would you rather have Duchene or Lafrenière?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Lafrenière definitely. Cost controlled NHL ready player who is likely to be productive from day one.

Wait til you see our vye for the playoffs / reset / no man’s land plan to nab him.

This is supposedly going to be a very deep draft.

Who would you rather have on the roster, Kotkaniemi, or Radulov?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is supposedly going to be a very deep draft.

Who would you rather have on the roster, Kotkaniemi, or Radulov?

Depends. Short term, Radulov. KK medium to long term.

However, KK has the greatest market value, so if I had to choose one in a vacuum, it would be him as I could always land a better player than Radulov in a trade involving KK if I needed to move KK for whatever reason.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
What is the point of comparing teams at this point, 7 days into the the off-season?

There's no possible way to measure progression, regression, injuries, etc.
Call it an early prediction.

I predicted the habs would miss the play offs at this time last season too.
As well as July 017 when the dropped Markov and Rads , then added Alzner and Drouin. ......... so thats "the point" I guess you could say.

Not like I was going out on a limb with any of these "pointless" (but bang on) July predictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miller Time and 417

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Winning used to be a big factor too.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Runner !!!! LMFAO

You are probably the biggest reason I will never leave this board no matter how long the Habs stink.

My wife had to come into the room to see what I was LAUGHING MY HEAD OFF AT at when I saw this reply. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Reactions: Kimota

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Sign Gardiner
Sign Ferland

Do a successful offer sheet that actually has a chance of not being accepted.

Trade for someone who is a very useful player.

Personally, I would prefer not the first 2, but you have to do something.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Runner !!!! LMFAO

You are probably the biggest reason I will never leave this board no matter how long the Habs stink.

My wife had to come into the room to see what I was LAUGHING MY HEAD OFF AT at when I saw this reply. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Thanks Paul, much appreciated. That's a hell of a standard to live up to but I'll do my best to bring in a little levity where I can. :wg:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I think you can.

Organizations accross industries that are committed to excellence have noticeable habits & practices. Habs under Molsons ownership have shown a littany of practices and decisions that are consistent with organizational culture that is not performance focused.
Well the Canadiens are the only organization in the four big North American Sports that would do this.

scenario;

50 potential GMs apply for the job in Montreal. 25 of them are better for the job than the french speaking 26th best candidate. But the top 25 dont speak french. So the Canadiens have to resign themselves to hire the 26th best candidate. Even though they know the first 25 are better hires.

Then they hold a presser and brag about the guy they hired. :baghead:

Reactions: Miller Time

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Guys for an offer sheet to potentially not be accepted it needs to f*** the team that matches it.

The problem is that then it ends up f***ing us. There's a balance. That's why the RFA system is set up this way and you rarely see offer sheets.

Reactions: sharks9 and McGees

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Guys for an offer sheet to potentially not be accepted it needs to **** the team that matches it.

The problem is that then it ends up ****ing us. There's a balance. That's why the RFA system is set up this way and you rarely see offer sheets.
Troof. I feel like nobody gets that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad