Marc Bergevin: Offseason Summertime Love Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Vegas have to trade a forward...Smith, Marchessault or Tuck could be an option for us!
Marchessault seems most likely to me. Tuch fills a need but despite his impressive progression I get this feeling he would bomb here. Ditto with Smith.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Guys for an offer sheet to potentially not be accepted it needs to **** the team that matches it.

The problem is that then it ends up ****ing us. There's a balance. That's why the RFA system is set up this way and you rarely see offer sheets.
Yep. Basically if you're "successful"in an offer sheet, you get to pay a bunch of picks for the privilege of having an obscene contract on your roster.

Reactions: sharks9

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Not really true, Habs finished 4th 8th 10th and 2nd overall since he became GM...... and are 11th overall if you add up the 7 seasons under him......., still, alot of posters like to say that he is the worst GM we ever had
missed the PO 3 of the last 4 seasons
won an amazing total of 3 rounds of PO since the guy's a GM
still, many posters keep defending his every move.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
missed the PO 3 of the last 4 seasons
won an amazing total of 3 rounds of PO since the guy's a GM
still, many posters keep defending his every move.

I'd just like to add that, since the 2015-16 season, we're 22nd overall in points. This team did well the fewer moves Bergevin did to it. I mean, even take last off-season which was an off-the-charts success with the Domi acquisition: still not a playoff team.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I'd just like to add that, since the 2015-16 season, we're 22nd overall in points. This team did well the fewer moves Bergevin did to it. I mean, even take last off-season which was an off-the-charts success with the Domi acquisition: still not a playoff .
Still not a playoff. But 4th last in league season before, to 4 points behind the leafs for the playoffs is great progression.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Still not a playoff. But 4th last in league season before, to 4 points behind the leafs for the playoffs is great progression.

If you measure from an historic low point, which, according to Bergevin, was achieved a team ''finally built in [his] image,'' yes, this year was ''progress.'' The objections to this approach are obvious, however: this season's result wasn't good, it was just better than the irredeemable shite he wrought the year before, but also not better than the slightly less turdly season the year just before that.

Reactions: 417

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
If you measure from an historic low point, which, according to Bergevin, was achieved a team ''finally built in [his] image,'' yes, this year was ''progress.'' The objections to this approach are obvious, however: this season's result wasn't good, it was just better than the irredeemable ****e he wrought the year before, but also not better than the slightly less turdly season the year just before that.
What I don’t understand is everyone on here including myself wanted a rebuild/reset, we got it and it was faster than I expected but now everyone is belly aching that it wasn’t fast enough. Look at the forums from two offseasons and everyone wanted a rebuild. Trade price, trade everyone. Draft draft we need a better prospect pool.

Fast forward two years and we added Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Romonav, and Caufield among others.

This team needs Kotkaniemi to breakout and lead the charge from center ice, and a boost to the power play and we are shoe ins for the playoffs.

This offseason isn’t over yet so I expect another move of significance to address the power play and depth. A top player to push guys down the lineup. If Bergevin sits on this current group as is right now the only progress we will see is in individual players growing. Ie, Kotkaniemi

But circling back to my first point, I can’t understand the moaning in these boards about our standings. We clearly went into a reset and all knew that would take more than 2 years. It’s what everyone was clamouring for, the reset is ahead of schedule but now y’all are moaning it’s pathetic for this legendary franchise to not make the playoffs. The blind hatred of Bergevin on here is pathetic.

Let’s be thankful we got to watch for the first time since the Kovalev era some actual upbeat hockey and not the Defense north south garbage we had to witness under Martin and Therrien. And that something great is building. Literally for the first time in 20 years we have an exciting group of youngsters

This team is far closer to contending than anyone in here will admit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What I don’t understand is everyone on here including myself wanted a rebuild/reset, we got it and it was faster than I expected but now everyone is belly aching that it wasn’t fast enough. Look at the forums from two offseasons and everyone wanted a rebuild. Trade price, trade everyone. Draft draft we need a better prospect pool.

Fast forward two years and we added Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Romonav, and Caufield among others.

This team needs Kotkaniemi to breakout and lead the charge from center ice, and a boost to the power play and we are shoe ins for the playoffs.

This offseason isn’t over yet so I expect another move of significance to address the power play and depth. A top player to push guys down the lineup. If Bergevin sits on this current group as is right now the only progress we will see is in individual players growing. Ie, Kotkaniemi

But circling back to my first point, I can’t understand the moaning in these boards about our standings. We clearly went into a reset and all knew that would take more than 2 years. It’s what everyone was clamouring for, the reset is ahead of schedule but now y’all are moaning it’s pathetic for this legendary franchise to not make the playoffs. The blind hatred of Bergevin on here is pathetic.

Let’s be thankful we got to watch for the first time since the Kovalev era some actual upbeat hockey and not the Defense north south garbage we had to witness under Martin and Therrien. And that something great is building. Literally for the first time in 20 years we have an exciting group of youngsters

Good post. But Bergevin is our GM and not many will give credit for anything he does cause they wanted him fired 3 or 4 years ago now. Don't think they give up until he is gone.

I like the way our team is trending but you said it best... We need Kotkaniemi and the other prospects to bust out in the next season or two. Then we can make our all in moves.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

I have given Bergevin credit for the good moves he has done, even the ones I was wrong about. I thought the Domi-Galchenyuk trade was bad and have admitted the mea culpa: Domi is the shit. The Pacioretty trade is a move that I had been calling for since our playoff exit in 2017, and I was beside myself urging Bergevin to offer sheet Aho.

But a turd is a turd is a turd, and that's what Bergevin's 7 years has been. Yes, ''we,'' meaning everyone who was sick of Bergevin, all wanted a reset. We didn't really get one per se. What we got was ineptitude while we were told to ''wait and see.'' We were to told to wait and see how effective the size and character he brought into the organization would be in the playoffs in 2017, and we were told to wait and see how solid Alzner was and how easily Drouin would make us forget about Radulov. What I cannot abide is people wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

We didn't get a reset, what we got were bad seasons because of horrible miscalculations. You're asking me to be thankful for this? I will give credit where it is due. If, for example, Bergevin gets us Laine you will not hear criticism from me. If, however, he fails to do that and sends us into next season with nothing added and doesn't make a decision to rebuild by getting something for some (note, some, not all) of our ageing assets, absolutely I will call for his firing. As should any habs fan. This is not blind hate, this is stern but fair criticism for a GM who is in his 8th off season.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
. If, for example, Bergevin gets us Laine you will not hear criticism from me.
You're being a little generous here. What if he ships out Suzuki, Romanov and Caufield to get Laine, will we hear no criticism from you then? Maybe because my condemnations will drown out any protests you'll have to say. And I wouldn't discount MB making such a ridiculous trade.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You're being a little generous here. What if he ships out Suzuki, Romanov and Caufield to get Laine, will we hear no criticism from you then? Maybe because my condemnations will drown out any protests you'll have to say. And I wouldn't discount MB making such a ridiculous trade.

Would that be a trade or in addition to offer sheet compensation?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Would that be a trade or in addition to offer sheet compensation?
LOL. I would go ballistic if that was in addition to an offer-sheet. No, simply a trade. Despite the way I feel about MB right now, even I don't think he'll pull an offer sheet plus those players. But this guy has surprised me.

I look at Laine and I see a slightly better goal scorer than Patches but overall brings the same style of play. I don't think I need to remind people that I was not a fan of Patches.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
LOL. I would go ballistic if that was in addition to an offer-sheet. No, simply a trade. Despite the way I feel about MB rightnow, evn I don't think he'll pull an offer with plus those players. But this guy has surprised.

I look at Laine and I see a slightly better goal scorer than Patches but overall brings the same style of play.

I would feel slightly queazy about the trade, the way you would forking over 40 grand for a Patek Philippe. But I would do it.

Patrik is a floater, and Patches is a floater, but that's where the comparison ends, IMO. There is such a thing as being so different in degree that you become different in kind. Laine certainly qualifies.

I won't say he presents no risks, but I am willing to take them.

Reactions: 417

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

For the most part,it's lose lose situation in Montreal. More of the glass is half empty than full. So many people think only their opinion is right and are rigid,but we all know those types. Apparently you can't have an opinion if it doesn't go along with the right opinion.

Reactions: blarneylad

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Assembling good players is not exactly my problem with MB. I never disliked any of his trades - even the P.K.-Weber one. My problem with MB is that I think he can't get us over the hump. He can't make the one or two moves that make us a contender.

Take this off-season so far. He originally went after Duchene. A player that would not improve the team very much. Then he wasted his time and ours by a half-assed offer-sheet on Aho. He signs Chiarot which is not what we needed. We needed at the very least a top 4 left-handed puck moving D. Chiarot is not that. Chiarot's signing pretty much shuts down any hope for one. He unloads Shaw and his return was pretty respectable but then goes and signs Cousin. Really? And then when it comes to backups he signs the worst of the UFA lot. Kinkaid last year had similar numbers to Niemi. Meanwhile, McElhinney signed for lesser money but one year longer.

The Habs don't need centers. Don't need stay at home d-men. Don't need Niemi clones. And so far that's what he either tried for or actually did get.

We need a competent back up. A left-handed puck moving d-man for Weber and a power forward. Those were minimum requirements. He tried to get only one. A back up. And I have my suspicions about how good this guy is.

The silver lining: we still have two more months before training camp.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Assembling good players is not exactly my problem with MB. I never disliked any of his trades - even the P.K.-Weber one. My problem with MB is that I think he can't get us over the hump. He can't make the one or two moves that make us a contender.

Take this off-season so far. He originally went after Duchene. A player that would not improve the team very much. Then he wasted his time and ours by a half-assed offer-sheet on Aho. He signs Chiarot which is not what we needed. We needed at the very least a top 4 left-handed puck moving D. Chiarot is not that. Chiarot's signing pretty much shuts down any hope for one. He unloads Shaw and his return was pretty respectable but then goes and signs Cousin. Really? And then when it comes to backups he signs the worst of the UFA lot. Kinkaid last year had similar numbers to Niemi. Meanwhile, McElhinney signed for lesser money but one year longer.

The Habs don't need centers. Don't need stay at home d-men. Don't need Niemi clones. And so far that's what he either tried for or actually did get.

We need a competent back up. A left-handed puck moving d-man for Weber and a power forward. Those were minimum requirements. He tried to get only one. A back up. And I have my suspicions about how good this guy is.

The silver lining: we still have two more months before training camp.
The Habs are well positioned in terms of assets (prospects/picks) as well as cap space, to address at least one of those needs you mentioned.

I think we're far from done, so let's see where the next few weeks take us.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I have given Bergevin credit for the good moves he has done, even the ones I was wrong about. I thought the Domi-Galchenyuk trade was bad and have admitted the mea culpa: Domi is the ****. The Pacioretty trade is a move that I had been calling for since our playoff exit in 2017, and I was beside myself urging Bergevin to offer sheet Aho.

But a turd is a turd is a turd, and that's what Bergevin's 7 years has been. Yes, ''we,'' meaning everyone who was sick of Bergevin, all wanted a reset. We didn't really get one per se. What we got was ineptitude while we were told to ''wait and see.'' We were to told to wait and see how effective the size and character he brought into the organization would be in the playoffs in 2017, and we were told to wait and see how solid Alzner was and how easily Drouin would make us forget about Radulov. What I cannot abide is people wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

We didn't get a reset, what we got were bad seasons because of horrible miscalculations. You're asking me to be thankful for this? I will give credit where it is due. If, for example, Bergevin gets us Laine you will not hear criticism from me. If, however, he fails to do that and sends us into next season with nothing added and doesn't make a decision to rebuild by getting something for some (note, some, not all) of our ageing assets, absolutely I will call for his firing. As should any habs fan. This is not blind hate, this is stern but fair criticism for a GM who is in his 8th off season.
We just may be seeing the same thing after all.

I wanted Bergy fired the Radulov offseason. Galchenyuk was a favourite of mine mostly because of what he was drafted to be not what he actually became. So I loathed the Domi trade as well, but in hindsight wow did we come out on top!

Drouin was coming off a career high in Tampa and a great playoff too. I didn’t hate that trade myself though it has been underwhelming in hindsight.

I won’t complain if Bergevin is fired. His early track record leading up to the Subban trade and letting Radulov walk was my point of not being his cheerleader. But excuse me but he has since that offseason changed gears and I like his more recent body of work which you outlined perfectly with the Pacioretty trade. Good prospect pool now use it this offseason to add a top six player such as Laine.

Weber and Price aren’t getting younger

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The Habs are well positioned in terms of assets (prospects/picks) as well as cap space, to address at least one of those needs you mentioned.

I think we're far from done, so let's see where the next few weeks take us.
You're right there are still a few more weeks but something else hit me. Our most productive center last season was Domi and he never really had a constant left winger. Right now, Domi doesn't have a left or right winger. So those are two more requirements that need to be added to my short list.
BTW, If Poehling and Suzuki make the team I would try Domi as their center but I wouldn't expect Domi to get the same numbers as last year.

Reactions: DAChampion and 417

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
It's a little too quiet right now around the NHL. All these high profile RFA's that haven't signed yet are really leaving a lot of uncertainty in regards to the cap up in the air. How much space do we have available under the cap? I mean I know what CapFriendly says, but if the Habs send a bunch of players down to the AHL, we would save a lit bit of space on the cap.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
It's a little too quiet right now around the NHL. All these high profile RFA's that haven't signed yet are really leaving a lot of uncertainty in regards to the cap up in the air. How much space do we have available under the cap? I mean I know what CapFriendly says, but if the Habs send a bunch of players down to the AHL, we would save a lit bit of space on the cap.

Realistically it's not uncommon for high profile RFAs to remain unsigned through the summer, sometimes up to training camp.

For the most part a week after July 1 there doesn't tend to be all that much movement around the league until closer to camp. I know we are all impatient and expecting/hoping to see a big move soon but I don't know if I see it coming for a while still.

There are still a lot of holes on this team, a LOT of holes, but I think what we are seeing is likely what we will have up until late August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad