Marc Bergevin: Offseason Fork in the Road Edition

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So what you’re saying is because I believed in Bergevin, I am NOT allowed to bash other gms????

(mod)

First....you believed in Bergevin? You believe in Bergevin? Since you are bashing other GM's right now, it means that RIGHT NOW you believe in Bergevin? But if he doesn't find a partner to Weber before...what? End of summer? Start of the year? Next trade deadline? which is it now 'cause with you, we never know. So which is it? So if he doesn't bring a guy with Weber at the time of your choosing...THEN you'll go from believing in him to not believing in him? Really?

And then...sherriff? Did you receive a ticket from me somehow?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This off season is not the "fork in the road" with our team direction. The 21 off season is! However, I get how some want us to add talent now vs later but we can't force things or be too aggressive in trying to make moves. That usually don't turn out well.

Let the age 25 and under core grow and cross your fingers several reach ceiling potential level sooner rather than later.

3rd year for Chariot might be an issue in terms of who we can afford to retain

What else will happen this summer? I doubt there are any major moves at this point but we will see. You never know what circumstance will be presented to us

Personally i would say the 20 off season will be. Can't wait summer 21 to trade Petry and Tatar if you have to trade them. Domi, Drouin and Lehkonen will be 25 so at this point we will have a good idea what to expect from them.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Last edited:
Reactions: BrendanGallagher11

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
No, what he is clearly saying is you hold other elite GMs to one standard and ours to a different one...Why is that?

Sorry I misread you before. Yep, that's what I'm saying.

I personnally couldn't care less about other GM's or coaches. The fact that ours are bad do not make them worst or better because of others performances. That's Jaffy logic. We could all find them bad and stupid. See if I care. My team is the Habs. And this team has to become relevant. And fast. No matter how great or bad Brisebois, Dubas or whatever does.

Last edited:
Reactions: KotkaSpicy

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Thanks for that. MB’s tenure sure getting long in the tooth, he’s amongst the longest tenured.
Yeah, I didn't realize that.

Here's another factoid: Only 10 head coaches have had the job longer than two full seasons. 21 of NHL's coaches were hired in 2017 or later. The longest tenured coach was hired in March 2013 -- Jon Cooper.

Reactions: knuck

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You surpassed yourself a while back claiming I was ok with Bergevin over the last 4 years when in fact I never once mentioned his name till YOU brought him up.....the irony of your post :laugh:
that's pretty much a fact :laugh::laugh::laugh:

knuck

On and off fan
Sponsor
Mar 26, 2006
La Prairie Beach

Here's another factoid: Only 10 head coaches have had the job longer than two full seasons. 21 of NHL's coaches were hired in 2017 or later. The longest tenured coach was hired in March 2013 -- Jon Cooper.

Woa

This is borderline ridiculous

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Speaking of factoids and Jon Cooper, what an amazing ascent to the NHL coaching ranks:

Tampa Bay Lightning coach Jon Cooper left Wall Street to be a lawyer, planning to eventually become a sports agent.

To make ends meet as an attorney, he made $1,500 a month to handle cases for financially strapped clients in the middle of Michigan. Cooper’s charm and communication skills helped him cut deals for defendants while quickly processing a lot of people in and out of the state district court.

Then, Cooper got a call in the fall of 1999 from the judge who often saw him do his day job and knew he was a pretty good hockey player.

“I said, ‘Jon, do you want to coach my son’s high school hockey team at Lansing Catholic?”‘ retired judge Thomas Brennan recalled in a telephone interview Monday. “He said, ‘Yeah, I’ll do that.’ ...

Cooper progressed to coaching junior hockey, then in the minor leagues, and eventually took over Tampa Bay’s American Hockey League affiliate in Norfolk in 2010. Then, (over six) years ago, the former securities trader and public defender was hired by Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman to lead Tampa Bay.

Lightning coach Jon Cooper was a lawyer before new career - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:
Reactions: swimmer77 and Lshap

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Sorry I misread you before. Yep, that's what I'm saying.

I personnally couldn't care less about other GM's or coaches. The fact that ours are bad do not make them worst or better because of others performances. That's Jaffy logic. We could all find them bad and stupid. See if I care. My team is the Habs. And this team has to become relevant. And fast. No matter how great or bad Brisebois, Dubas or whatever does.

I mean it's not even Bergevin at this point , it's beyond him (however that doesn't exonerate him) , we havn't had an elite offensive forward in decades now...Something in terms of our culture needs to change with the emphasis on hiring the best people regardless of creed or nationality. The team is always in the top 3 in terms of overall value and yet we can't figure out how to ice a perrenial competitive team?

I honestly hope this crop of promising youngsters produces some stars but until they do we will be stuck in the same mediocre cycle we've known since the 90s...

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Speaking of factoids and Jon Cooper, what an amazing ascent to the NHL coaching ranks:

Tampa Bay Lightning coach Jon Cooper left Wall Street to be a lawyer, planning to eventually become a sports agent.

To make ends meet as an attorney, he made $1,500 a month to handle cases for financially strapped clients in the middle of Michigan. Cooper’s charm and communication skills helped him cut deals for defendants while quickly processing a lot of people in and out of the state district court.

Then, Cooper got a call in the fall of 1999 from the judge who often saw him do his day job and knew he was a pretty good hockey player.

“I said, ‘Jon, do you want to coach my son’s high school hockey team at Lansing Catholic?”‘ retired judge Thomas Brennan recalled in a telephone interview Monday. “He said, ‘Yeah, I’ll do that.’ ...

Cooper progressed to coaching junior hockey, then in the minor leagues, and eventually took over Tampa Bay’s American Hockey League affiliate in Norfolk in 2010. Then, ( over six) years ago, the former securities trader and public defender was hired by Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman to lead Tampa Bay.

Lightning coach Jon Cooper was a lawyer before new career - Sportsnet.ca
That is freakin' cool! I knew the guy was a smooth communicator, but never knew he had a legal background.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That is freakin' cool! I knew the guy was a smooth communicator, but never knew he had a legal background.

This is the same guy who schooled Drouin.

I don't think there is any doubt who is the smartest guy in that room.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
You don't get that Bergevin was signed in 2012 . You talk likes if his 8th year is done when in realty , it's just beginning .
8th draft
8th summer to sign UFAs
8th summer to offersheet RFAs
8th summer to re-sign his own RFAs
8th summer to make off season trades

but yeah! lets count days cause you know, you HAVE to defend your favorite Hab.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
8th draft
8th summer to sign UFAs

8th summer of excuses

hxrO5ac.gif

Last edited:

badi

Jan 21, 2008
When youre owner says that the goal is to make playoffs even when We all know that the way this team is built there is zéro chance at a Cup ,
you realize that the bar as been set very low .

Thank god im old enough to have seen 2 Stanley Cup parades because with these clowns running the team there is no chance at a return to Glory

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
8th draft
8th summer to sign UFAs

:laugh: we are still in July , summer is still there . Relax

By the way ,

8th draft; Done and it seems that it's very well done
8th summer to sign UFAs ; Done ; 3 x signings
8th summer to offersheet RFAs; Done . One of the top RFA available signs with us, but ...
8th summer to re-sign his own RFAs ; Already done
8th summer to make off season trades ; Done with Shaw traded

Great summer for our GM yet :5:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
:laugh: we are still in July , summer is still there . Relax

By the way ,

8th draft; Done and it seems that it's very well done
8th summer to sign UFAs ; Done ; 3 x signings
8th summer to offersheet RFAs; Done . One of the top RFA available signs with us, but ...
8th summer to re-sign his own RFAs ; Already done
8th summer to make off season trades ; Done with Shaw traded

Great summer for our GM yet :5:

:cheer:Gooo mediocrity! Yay!:cheer:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Strange, I'm sure it's the other way around. The only reasons why you keep bashing other GM's is because people start comparing them to your beloved Bergevin and then, your sole and only goal is to trash them in order to feel better about the failure that is Bergevin.

Honestly at this point, I wonder if most of the ''pro'' Bergevin posters here actually even like him.
They make such little sense that it's difficult to believe they actually support the GM. It feels way more like people just playing devil's advocate on a message board than actually supporting the GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad