Marc Bergevin: Offseason Fork in the Road Edition

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Is he really on the hot seat ? I feel like if it was Gauthier, this year would be his last chance to make the playoffs or get fired, but with MB, Molson seems to really like him since he hired him. What would you say are the chances he gets fired if we miss the playoffs ? & who would be the replacement ?

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
35bur5.gif

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
List of NHL teams and how many playoff series they have won in the last 5 years

ANA - 3
ARI - 0
BOS - 4
BUF - 0
CGY - 1
CAR - 2
CHI - 4
COL - 1
CBJ - 1
DAL - 2
DET - 0
EDM - 1
FLR - 0
LAK - 0
MIN - 1
MTL - 1
NSH - 5
NJD - 0
NYI - 2
OTT - 2
PHI - 0
PIT - 9
SJS - 6
STL - 7
TBL - 6
TOR - 0
VAN - 0
VGK - 4
WSH - 7
WPG - 2

15 teams have strictly more playoff series wins than us in the last 5 years. If we join the 0 playoff wins in 5 years club, will we see the end of the Bergevin era?

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Bergevin has played this offseason perfectly in terms of media optics. He offersheeted Aho to a deal that was never going to work, met with Duchene, and ended up doing what he usually does: not much.

He can say he tried, and that trades are hard and that UFAs either don't want to come here or they want too much money. Then he can pick through the bin and sign fringe guys to "show me deals" and stay 8-9 million under the cap while preaching "patience," and giving people hope that he will one day actually use the cap space he has available to make the team better, which he won't.

We'll end up going into next season with pretty much the exact same team, minus Shaw and plus Chiarot and a new back up goalie. The fight for 8th in the East, here we come.

It's literally Groundhog Day, Habs Edition.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Oh, I see it’s that kind of thread

Yeah what did you expect ? hahah

People here think they are entitled to a Galchenyuk/Domi trade every year. The worst part is that the amount of fans that dumped on MB for making that trade in the first place was insane.

MB has many faults but he can't be labelled as ''inactive'' like some here suggest. Last ~3 years we added Weber , Drouin, Domi in the summer. I personally think we won all those trades. People don't like the team, yet when a player that got non-stop stick like Shaw leaves, suddenly everyone is finding he was on a nice contract and he was a worthy first liner going into next year. He's not taking a youngster's roster spot anymore, no, he's now beloved.

to comeback on previous trades, Subban and galchenyuk weren't important enough pieces to keep for the respective teams we traded them to. Keep that in mind when you crap on those trades.

Last edited:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Yeah what did you expect ? hahah

People here think they are entitled to a Galchenyuk/Domi trade every year. The worst part is that the amount of fans that dumped on MB for making that trade in the first place was insane.

MB has many faults but he can't be labelled as ''inactive'' like some here suggest. Last ~3 years we added Weber , Drouin, Domi in the summer. I personally think we won all those trades. People don't like the team, yet when a player that got non-stop stick like Shaw leaves, suddenly everyone is finding he was on a nice contract and he was a worthy first liner going into next year.

Quote me ONCE saying Shaw was a bad contract/bad player. Once.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
obviously wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, I personally liked Shaw a lot.

The point is, because there's a vocal minority that I would label as the "2016 offseason hater club" who would parrot the same "Shawful" and "irrespectful trash" bullshit, doesn't mean there isn't a great deal of Habs fans who enjoyed having Shaw as a Hab. I always liked his intensity and even though people would call him undisciplined and reckless, even when he was less of an offensive factor early on in his days, I always thought we lacked players who had his passion, grit and intensity.

He brought something we certainly didn't have too much of.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
The point is, because there's a vocal minority that I would label as the "2016 offseason hater club" who would parrot the same "Shawful" and "irrespectful trash" bull****, doesn't mean there isn't a great deal of Habs fans who enjoyed having Shaw as a Hab. I always liked his intensity and even though people would call him undisciplined and reckless, even when he was less of an offensive factor early on in his days, I always thought we lacked players who had his passion, grit and intensity.

He brought something we certainly didn't have too much of.

I couldn't agree more and he seemed to have some 5 on 5 chemistry with Domi. I think he was sacrificed with the angle that they see Byron in the top 6 and/or they want to give youth a ''real'' chance.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Bergevin has played this offseason perfectly in terms of media optics. He offersheeted Aho to a deal that was never going to work, met with Duchene, and ended up doing what he usually does: not much.

He can say he tried, and that trades are hard and that UFAs either don't want to come here or they want too much money. Then he can pick through the bin and sign fringe guys to "show me deals" and stay 8-9 million under the cap while preaching "patience," and giving people hope that he will one day actually use the cap space he has available to make the team better, which he won't.

We'll end up going into next season with pretty much the exact same team, minus Shaw and plus Chiarot and a new back up goalie. The fight for 8th in the East, here we come.

It's literally Groundhog Day, Habs Edition.
I predicted a backup goalie and a journeyman on D as our signings. I did not see the offer sheet coming but that might have just been a PR stunt agreed on by both franchises, who knows? Trades are hard, free agency is hard, and drafting and developing our own players is hard. We are clearly stuck in no man's land with a below-average D core and realistically we are lacking two top 6 players of the first line variety. We will be in tough for a playoff spot unless some of the younger guys (KK, Poehling) are ready to produce 50+ points. Expectations are very low.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
S H A W F U L
H
A
W
F
U
L

Trading Shaw is the best thing Bergevin did this off-season, in terms of moves that were actually completed.

Reactions: Wats

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
:laugh::laugh::laugh: It's that kind of GM...
Pretty much according to Hoyle so far. Are we trying to get over the hump or sinking towards the bottom? I'd sure like to know.
96pt season, ascending, with one of the best prospect pools in the league is hardly sinking......you’re still thinking we just drafted Kotkaniemi last month......move forward into the present :cool:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad