Marc Bergevin: Offseason Fork in the Road Edition

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Any high stress environment or profession can beget its lot of impatience and abrasiveness. The good news is that it can be controlled when you're removed from those environments. It doesn't need to seep into every aspect of your life. If it does, it might be time to re-examine if it's time to look for a new challenge.

Reactions: jaffy27

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Living in Hong Kong makes you like that. No patience. You try it. It's very tough. Kriss is fine.
I'm in Montreal for 2 weeks on vacation. Then Seattle for wedding, then San Fran...then back to my little Honkie town.

But the Habs are the only thing making me miserable. No matter where I am.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yes, which makes this summer his 8th, not 7th.

I guess you write shit and don't remember what the hell you write. Your original claim was that he has been here eight years not eight summers. In case you forgot I retrieved & highlighted it for you.

It doesn't “objectively makes sense” because you don't know what being objective is.
Hes been here 8th years, not 2 or 3 or 4. His first selection ever as a GM has 6 years of NHL experience so maybe you need to wake the **** up.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I guess you write **** and don't remember what the hell you write. Your original claim was that he has been here eight years not eight summers. In case you forgot I retrieved & highlighted it for you.

He’s been here 8 years vs it’s his 8th year or his 8th offseason.... ? Does it really matter? Does the latter make mb sound more effective?

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Why are people so loyal to Bergevin? I don't get it.
we call that " taking a distance " . Exemple ;

you ( overall haters ) ; Last season we didn't make the playoffs , so we are a bad team .

us ; Last season we had one of the best teams at 5/5 , we got 96 pts , something enough to be in the playoffs year after years . Weber started to play in december , PP was shit , our back up goaltender was shit , but we still manage to get those points .

You ; Bergevin did nothing to help the team this summer .

Us ; Bergevin signs a better back up ( see above ), tries to get Aho , tries to sign Duchesne . Gets a more physical and bigger dman to clean the front of the net . Summer isn't ended yet , he could make trade/signing in september as he did last season . Mete is turning in a good dman in his own zone . He isn't an offensive success player yet but is working on his shut this summer . Now he's one more season , as it is for Kotkaniemi .

They are all small things , i know , but you just add them to a team that put 96 pts last year , so 3 x more wins next season and we are up to 100 pts .

Reactions: Marca61

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He’s been here 8 years vs it’s his 8th year or his 8th offseason.... ? Does it really matter? Does the latter make mb sound more effective?
Accuracy matters. It obviously doesn't make MB sound more effective but it does make the criticism of MB more effective.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

you ( overall haters ) ; Last season we didn't make the playoffs , so we are a bad team .

us ; Last season we had one of the best teams at 5/5 , we got 96 pts , something enough to be in the playoffs year after years . Weber started to play in december , PP was **** , our back up goaltender was **** , but we still manage to get those points .

Us ; Bergevin signs a better back up ( see above ), tries to get Aho , tries to sign Duchesne . Gets a more physical and bigger dman to clean the front of the net . Summer isn't ended yet , he could make trade/signing in september as he did last season . Mete is turning in a good dman in his own zone . He isn't an offensive success player yet but is working on his shut this summer . Now he's one more season , as it is for Kotkaniemi .

They are all small things , i know , but you just add them to a team that put 96 pts last year , so 3 x more wins next season and we are up to 100 pts .
Three more losses next season and we're down to 90 points.

As for MB's moves. Kincaid's numbers last season are a hair better than Niemi's. I invite you to go look them up instead of manufacturing your own version of reality. Chiarot is a younger version of Benn and it's questionable if he'll be better. Also, something you forgot to mention he traded away Shaw only to be replaced with a true blue 4th liner in Cousins.

The only truth you stated was that the off-season is not over yet and he might still pull a rabbit out of his ass. Personally, I wouldn't put any money on it. Not even your money.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Three more losses next season and we're down to 90 points.

As for MB's moves. Kincaid's numbers last season are a hair better than Niemi's. I invite you to go look them up instead of manufacturing your own version of reality. Chiarot is a younger version of Benn and it's questionable if he'll be better. Also, something you forgot to mention he traded away Shaw only to be replaced with a true blue 4th liner in Cousins.

The only truth you stated was that the off-season is not over yet and he might still pull a rabbit out of his ass. Personally, I wouldn't put any money on it. Not even your money.
Kinkaid got one single bad season , last year . He's 6 years younger than Niemi , so i am confident that he will do better this season , with the help of Waite . Shaw is at one hit away to end his career . His departure will give space to the young Phoeling on the roster . So to me it isn't Cousins but him that will replace Shaw .
Chiarot , we'll see .
Weber will start the season at the beginning of the year .
If you see everything i bring as a something negative that will -play againts the Habs performance , it's up to you . At that point , i can just say agree to disagree .

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
3982067327_9951e9fa99_z.jpg
Gorgeous day too.....got a nice pic of Mount Baker this morning coming in
Isn't that a great sight?

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Bergevin is a good looking and masculine man, the anti-Gauthier, so he will necessarily inspire loyalty and devotion on that basis alone. It's an instinctive response for many.
Do you have some sort of psychological study supporting this opinion? Or is it just a supposition?

Because, no offense, but to me this sounds completely absurd lol

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
August of 2013. Almost 6 years ago. Bergevin's 2nd summer as GM.

How did those of you who were around then and are still posting now, like what you had seen at that point? How many of you were bang on?

Here's your chance to find out. We had a thread about it that Lafleurs Guy started on August 7, 2013: Marc Bergevin - Your thoughts on him so far?

The cyclical nature of several posts found in these kind of threads is always fascinating to me.

One poster was impressed with the two drafts under MB's belt at that point:

#3 - Alex Galchenyuk.
#33 - Sebastian Collberg.
#51 - Dalton Thrower.
#64 - Tim Bozon.
#94 - Brady Vail.
#122 - Charles Hudon.
#154 - Erik Nystrom.

#25 - Michael McCarron.
#34 - Jacob De La Rose.
#36 - Zachary Fucale.
#55 - Artturi Lehkonen.
#71 - Connor Crisp.
#86 - Sven Andrighetto (swiss gem).
#116 - Martin Reway.
#176 - Jeremy Gregoire.

Looking back now, only the bolded are left.

Anyway, that thread is an interesting read. The chinks in MB's armor were quite visible to several posters and some had already made up their minds about him.

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
These drafts were decent, cant only say only those are left and ignore the return obtained from the traded players.

Like our top scorer, key deadline pickups ect.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
These drafts were decent, cant only say only those are left and ignore the return obtained from the traded players.

Like our top scorer, key deadline pickups ect.

Only posted the drafts to show who was left, not to qualify them or the players that were gotten via some of the draftees.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

us ; Last season we had one of the best teams at 5/5 , we got 96 pts , something enough to be in the playoffs year after years . Weber started to play in december , PP was **** , our back up goaltender was **** , but we still manage to get those points .

If you had written the meaning of life in your post it would not have mattered to me after those three words that you spit at me right there. Don't bother responding to me anymore, even better you can put me on your ignore list. I have plenty of great acquaintances on here that I have made over the years and that's enough for me thanks.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I guess you write **** and don't remember what the hell you write. Your original claim was that he has been here eight years not eight summers. In case you forgot I retrieved & highlighted it for you.
Didn't realize you were so anal about this.
It's his 8th summer, call it about 7 years + 3 months if it makes you happy. Others say 8 as he's overseen 8 drafts and 8 free agencies already. Be ready for those same posters to say it's year number 9 next summer.
Who gives a crap really, we all know how long he's been here. Too long.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Bergevin is a good looking and masculine man, the anti-Gauthier, so he will necessarily inspire loyalty and devotion on that basis alone. It's an instinctive response for many.

You've said this numerous times, and I just don't see it. Also, do you have any data to support this? I think it's quite obvious you don't live in Montreal. Bergevin is a wildly unpopular GM. And I don't think his physical appearance is something that particularly works for everyone. He lacks style and elegance and sounds like a complete meathead when he speaks, because he can't speak either french or english fluently. That affects perception.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that physical appearance doesn't impact perception/perceived success/likeability, etc. It very obviously does. Numerous studies and experiments have shown that. But I think these are more effective when you're dealing with positions where actual performance/success is more vague, nuanced and image-based such as being a CEO or politician. A sports GM just doesn't that luxury. His success is directly tied to his team's performance. His mistakes and success can be judged with straightforward and accessible numbers. His handlings are public and obvious. Looks won't save you from that, especially in such a passionate/visceral business. That's why almost everyone knows and acknowledges that Bergevin sucks at his job.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad