News Article: Marc Bergevin officially out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Yeah cracks me up too that he inherited

25 year old Carey Price
23 year old PK Subban
24 year old Max Pacioretty
20 year old Brendan Gallagher
30 year old Tomas Plekanec
34 year old Andrei Markov
3rd overall pick

And completely shit the bed

I mean I agree and am on more of the anti MB side during that era as it pertains to his GMing which is why I thought he should've been fired after the 2017-18 but let's not pretend the team was God awful and that they probably wouldn't have made at least a final in 2014 if it weren't for the infamous price injury. Also the Habs outplaying the lightning in 2015 but got unlucky (2OT and Johnson scoring with less than a second left). But to be honest, that team should've undergone a massive retool but Molson didn't want that, he wanted to win now which is why he picked MB and not McGuire who wanted to blow the whole thing up basically.

Also that Galchenyuk pick was entirely on Timmons. MB deferred to the scouting staff that was working for a year vs a guy who just stepped in. He wanted Reilly

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Mediocre? They were among the top teams in his 4 seasons after he came back until covid hit. Sure they failed in the playoffs, but there isn't a single Q team that dominates year after year.

Spare me the argument about massive ressource advantage. Drafting in the Q is harder than in the NHL because players are far less developed when they come in. It's extremely hard to have a team that consistently wins year after year in the Q.

Also, Roy might be bored and in need of a challenge. He's been there for 15 years, aside from his stint in Col.

You might as well look at the Mooseheads then, because with the same resource advantage as the Quebec Remparts.. they consistently do a better job of identifying talent and cultivating it for NHL teams. It's not even close.

Roy is a terrible choice, if you want to look at a team in the QMJHL to take some talent from.. its Halifax. Voracek, MacKinnon, Drouin, Hischier, Meier, Ehlers, Barron, MacIsaac just in recent memory.. then you have Weegar, L'Heureux who just got picked, and the group this year.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Being irrational about wanting to win is why the Montreal Canadiens have been unsuccessful for as long as we have.

There's no patience or design, there's no vision.. there's simply a desire for mediocrity and be 'in' games all the time. Patrick Roy would be no exception to this, we would quickly see the decimation of prospects and picks to grab more veteran players to try to squeeze more blood out of a stone.

We need an intelligent, calculated individual. Sam Pollock was successful because he identified market inefficiencies and exploited it, he knew the value of draft picks and development, he knew when to trade veterans to teams who were on their way down trying to make the most of their last gasps.

We need an architect, not egotistical morons who move irrationally all the time to satiate their need for the now.
I choose Jacques Martin as our new GM.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
if he was a number nerd with the same results, y’all would be less intimidated by him i’m sure. He’s a tattoed ex athlete that hires his numerous friends and goes to the gym… I can understand why some of y’all would not like someone like him.

PS all the nicknames for bergevin here are just awful - not funny - bad play on word… yet someone is feeling clever everytime lol

Intimidated lol

That's quite the spin.

I dislike him because he has one of the worst blindspots a GM can have, on top of his unwarranted arrogance and the rampant nepotism. He's also a bad communicator, butchering my two favorite languages. Try harder next time, young man.

Reactions: Mr Mom

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I hope Bergevin extends and stays another 3-5 years, and grooms a successor. Not sure he wants to though. He might be burnt out. I heard LA wants him.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Well.....why he isn't in the NHL since he acted like he did?
Guess he's saving himself for the Habs or he wanted to be in the little league, right?

Why he's not been interviewed for any NHL job, not even once in the conversation.....

That's a little like Therrien....oh how a great coach he was, yet the only job he could get after here was assistant coach of his best friend. No one wanted him, but here he was supposedly great.
Speaking of Alain Vigneault, if his Flyers don’t do well, he will be ousted most likely. Would he be interested in being the Habs GM?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Theres no trophies for second place. Cut the crap with the but we made the finals last year, team has been spinning its wheels for a decade with berg. I hate hearing fans say hey at least we made the finals. The roster is piss and we fluked our way to the finals. The team is not well constructed or talented right now there's no excuse that 10 years after he's gotten the job the team stinks. Talk cup final all you want bergevin has done a piss poor job . Maybe we just expect nothing anymore in montreal so we are fine with that.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
You might as well look at the Mooseheads then, because with the same resource advantage as the Quebec Remparts.. they consistently do a better job of identifying talent and cultivating it for NHL teams. It's not even close.

Roy is a terrible choice, if you want to look at a team in the QMJHL to take some talent from.. its Halifax. Voracek, MacKinnon, Drouin, Hischier, Meier, Ehlers, Barron, MacIsaac just in recent memory.. then you have Weegar, L'Heureux who just got picked, and the group this year.
Just to clarify, Mackinnon was a generational Q talent and he basically said that if he didn't play in Halifax he wasn't going to play in the Q

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I'm a little biased but whatever. I'll take someone who wants to win and symbolizes the "No Excuses" mantra any day of the week over someone who aims "to make the playoffs" and is happy to coast by. Haters of this proposal act as if someone can't grow or change with time. Roy has probably learned from his experiences and matured. I really liked how he spoked with the Tremblay reunion, he definitely knew his flaws and addressed them very openly in the interviews. He seemed pretty humbled.
Regardless, this team putting limitations on itself with languages will limit who they choose, we'd be having a very different conversation if anyone was an option with this team.
you absolutely right.

Reactions: Saint Patrick

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
As he ever been in upper management?

Yes he was GM of the Panthers.

Jacques Martin as president of hockey operations with the assignment of finding the best candidate (of any language) and to be a temporary bilingual face would be a good choice. He seems to still have the fire, did everything in hockey, is an intelligent hockey man and seems like a good educator.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Just to clarify, Mackinnon was a generational Q talent and he basically said that if he didn't play in Halifax he wasn't going to play in the Q

I'm aware, but Quebec, London etc. are other franchises that commonly get players to play for them that no other organizations do. Not Halifax's fault that the f***ing Maritimes have done a better job of developing talent than Quebec recently.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Molson should fire himself as President and let the new president hire the GM…ah what does it matter there are only like 3 options to choose from for this language based franchise.

Reactions: amethyst

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Yeah cracks me up too that he inherited

25 year old Carey Price
23 year old PK Subban
24 year old Max Pacioretty
20 year old Brendan Gallagher
30 year old Tomas Plekanec
34 year old Andrei Markov
3rd overall pick

And completely shit the bed