News Article: Marc Bergevin officially out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think it's a disaster if true.

Not that Bergevin is leaving, but that Roy could be his replacement. A potentially Rejean Houle-level blunder.

Sadly, I can only click like once. Soooo much this.

All this talk about Roy’s fire and competitiveness and not taking bullshit…. GREAT for a player, good for a coach but terrible for a GM. You want a firm and level headed decision maker in both the best and worst of times. Maybe Roy has mellowed out but no, not a good choice at all for the role.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I’m open to a change but Roy as a GM makes me nervous.

I feel like he would be very impulsive.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
If Roy was half smart he wouldn,t have done what he did the last time he was in the NHL.....not one NHL team wants to touch him with a ten foot pole since then and for a good reason.

Personal choices has little to do with intellect, but rather motivation and interests.

Your last sentence is complete baloney and just serves as spin to complement your pov. Please, show me quotes proving this.

Reactions: dinodebino

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
We're already in that situation and IMO, Roy is smarter than Bergevin. Roy also has more clout, not only vs other managers, but also vs Molson.

What has he done to prove he's a capable NHL GM? All I see is mediocrity in the Q despite massive resource advantage. Can't wait to see him work around a salary cap.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Personal choices has little to do with intellect, but rather motivation and interests.

Your last sentence is complete baloney and just serves as spin to complement your pov. Please, show me quotes proving this.

Well.....why he isn't in the NHL since he acted like he did?
Guess he's saving himself for the Habs or he wanted to be in the little league, right?

Why he's not been interviewed for any NHL job, not even once in the conversation.....

That's a little like Therrien....oh how a great coach he was, yet the only job he could get after here was assistant coach of his best friend. No one wanted him, but here he was supposedly great.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Mickey Mouse organisation, embarassing, drop the French thing nobody in the actual city of Montreal who's born and raised here cares about the stupid language. This is why we need a team in QC. Send them there instead

Reactions: BLONG7 and PKWeber

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The passion to win............is his mantra.
Patrcik Roy will want to win............end of story.
Reggie Houle was not a GM, but a puppet for Corey and the Mol$on ownership group.
When selecting a Commander-in-Chief one does not appoint a daring lieutenant, just because he demonstrated aggressiveness and a will to conquer on the battlefield when leading his platoon.

You appoint an experienced senior officer, who's familiar with staff work and has demonstrated a good grasp of the art of war at operational and strategic levels.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The passion to win............is his mantra.
Patrcik Roy will want to win............end of story.
Reggie Houle was not a GM, but a puppet for Corey and the Mol$on ownership group.

Problem with Roy is his passion in the past was overshadowed by his need for control and his tantrums when he didn’t get his way.

I mean, I think he’s a donut, but Bergevin is passionate and he wants to win also.

Roy’s never been part of an executive group that’s had winning success. He just doesn’t have the credentials professionally at the level you want that a NHL GM should have.

Reactions: BLONG7

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I think Roy is too impulsive for the job. Chantal Machabée mentionned at TLMEP that Martin Madden would be his candidate, but everyone will speculate untill its officially done.
I wish. Martin Madden would be a great candidate. Has been Dir. of Amateur Scouting from 2009 to 2020 with the Ducks and the Ducks drafting has been 1000% better than Timmins and his minions.
He's assistant GM now.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Just get rid of him now if he has one foot out of the door. You don’t want this stuff following the team all year.

I’m also onboard with Martin Madden. I want someone levelheaded and a scouting expert to clean house.

Roy is a moron and it’ll look terrible for Molson after such a questionable offseason that he goes and hires a wife beater with a temper issue.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Just get rid of him now if he has one foot out of the door. You don’t want this stuff following the team all year.

I’m also onboard with Martin Madden. I want someone levelheaded and a scouting expert to clean house. Roy is a moron.

Not that I’ve ever had a problem with him, but TT can also leave with Bergy.

Reactions: le_sean

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I’m open to a change but Roy as a GM makes me nervous.

I feel like he would be very impulsive.
Me too very nervous . Though we surely won’t stay a middle of the pack team with Roy. He will either succeed or fail miserably lol.

Reactions: Koivu11

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
I'm a little biased but whatever. I'll take someone who wants to win and symbolizes the "No Excuses" mantra any day of the week over someone who aims "to make the playoffs" and is happy to coast by. Haters of this proposal act as if someone can't grow or change with time. Roy has probably learned from his experiences and matured. I really liked how he spoke in the Tremblay reunion, he definitely knew his flaws and addressed them very openly in the interviews. He seemed pretty humbled.
Regardless, this team putting limitations on itself with languages will limit who they choose, we'd be having a very different conversation if anyone was an option with this team.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm a little biased but whatever. I'll take someone who wants to win and symbolizes the "No Excuses" mantra any day of the week over someone who aims "to make the playoffs" and is happy to coast by. Haters of this proposal act as if someone can't grow or change with time. Roy has probably learned from his experiences and matured. I really liked how he spoked with the Tremblay reunion, he definitely knew his flaws and addressed them very openly in the interviews. He seemed pretty humbled.
Regardless, this team putting limitations on itself with languages will limit who they choose, we'd be having a very different conversation if anyone was an option with this team.

Now is as good of a time as any to point out the fact that the Montreal Canadiens, while limiting their talent pool to Quebec, do very little (basically nothing) to invest in Quebecois coaches and GMs.

If you're going to limit yourself, you damn well better be investing a shit load in their development. Even if you don't reap the benefit of hiring all of the people you developed, if the Montreal Canadiens are this institution for quebecois peoples, surely they would care about quebecois hockey people?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland

I’m also onboard with Martin Madden. I want someone levelheaded and a scouting expert to clean house.

Roy is a moron and it’ll look terrible for Molson after such a questionable offseason that he goes and hires a wife beater with a temper issue.
Madden has a kickass drafting record, that's for sure. Doesn't mean he'd be a good GM, but at least there's that.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Madden has a kickass drafting record, that's for sure. Doesn't mean he'd be a good GM, but at least there's that.

He’s much more accomplished than MB was when he was hired.

There’s also the advantage of bringing in someone who didn’t have a long NHL career who will just hire his retired buddies.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Well.....why he isn't in the NHL since he acted like he did?
Guess he's saving himself for the Habs or he wanted to be in the little league, right?

Why he's not been interviewed for any NHL job, not even once in the conversation.....

That's a little like Therrien....oh how a great coach he was, yet the only job he could get after here was assistant coach of his best friend. No one wanted him, but here he was supposedly great.

All you said is proof of nothing. Roy said he's in no hurry to come back and wants to do things in his own terms, meaning he wants an ideal situation for him and that probably means a very short list like Col, Mtl or Qc, or else he'll just stay put where he's comfortable. He's not looking for a career either. Comparing him to Therrien is just ridiculous. Roy isn't friend with Geoff, for all we know.

Please provide a report where Roy was trying to find a job elsewhere.

Reactions: Kimota and Vachon23

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I think it's a disaster if true.

Not that Bergevin is leaving, but that Roy could be his replacement. A potentially Rejean Houle-level blunder.

Lol. Marc Bergevin has run this team into the mud for 10 years. He is the Rejean Houle-esque blunder.
How is Roy, or another GM gonna do worst? The product has just been plain terrible for a while. We've had the dump and chase era with Therrien, then Julien came in and had decent results with that roster, but to win games he needed a suffocating to watch strategy.

The playoff run last year was the first time in years that I watched a Habs game from beginning to end. MB should not have lasted past his first 5 years, I can't wait until he's gone.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I will say this, if I'm MB, I would want to leave. I remember a funny answer he gave last year in an interview in English. The reporter asked, "if you could give advice to yourself from when you first took over what would it be?" And MB answered, " stay in Chicago".

Dude cracks me up

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
What has he done to prove he's a capable NHL GM? All I see is mediocrity in the Q despite massive resource advantage. Can't wait to see him work around a salary cap.

Mediocre? They were among the top teams in his 4 seasons after he came back until covid hit. Sure they failed in the playoffs, but there isn't a single Q team that dominates year after year.

Spare me the argument about massive ressource advantage. Drafting in the Q is harder than in the NHL because players are far less developed when they come in. It's extremely hard to have a team that consistently wins year after year in the Q.

Also, Roy might be bored and in need of a challenge. He's been there for 15 years, aside from his stint in Col.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00