News Article: Marc Bergevin officially out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I will say this, if I'm MB, I would want to leave. I remember a funny answer he gave last year in an interview in English. The reporter asked, "if you could give advice to yourself from when you first took over what would it be?" And MB answered, " stay in Chicago".

Dude cracks me up

Yeah cracks me up too that he inherited

25 year old Carey Price
23 year old PK Subban
24 year old Max Pacioretty
20 year old Brendan Gallagher
30 year old Tomas Plekanec
34 year old Andrei Markov
3rd overall pick

And completely shit the bed

Reactions: Mr Mom and Big Lurk

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Mediocre? They were among the top teams in his 4 seasons after he came back until covid hit. Sure they failed in the playoffs, but there isn't a single Q team that dominates year after year.

Spare me the argument about massive ressource advantage. Drafting in the Q is harder than in the NHL because players are far less developed when they come in. It's extremely hard to have a team that consistently wins year after year in the Q.

Also, Roy might be bored and in need of a challenge. He's been there for 15 years, aside from his stint in Col.
And when Roy come back in QC, he took a team with no draft pick and a core that wasn't in the Q anymore. He needed to rebuild all the team and it's exactly what he did and this yrs, they are contender

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Yeah cracks me up too that he inherited

25 year old Carey Price
23 year old PK Subban
24 year old Max Pacioretty
20 year old Brendan Gallagher
30 year old Tomas Plekanec
34 year old Andrei Markov
3rd overall pick

And completely shit the bed
How did he completely shit the bed? He got us to Stanley Cup Finals for first time in 28 years.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Mediocre? They were among the top teams in his 4 seasons after he came back until covid hit. Sure they failed in the playoffs, but there isn't a single Q team that dominates year after year.

Spare me the argument about massive ressource advantage. Drafting in the Q is harder than in the NHL because players are far less developed when they come in. It's extremely hard to have a team that consistently wins year after year in the Q.

Also, Roy might be bored and in need of a challenge. He's been there for 15 years, aside from his stint in Col.

Spare me the excuses. His team has been an afterthought in the Q since he returned. He'd get eaten alive in the NHL. Love is blind!

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
My tinfoil hat theory is that MB has to go in order for the Habs to sign PK to a deal next July. I feel like GM wants him back to sell more merch and spread goodwill.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
And when Roy come back in QC, he took a team with no draft pick and a core that wasn't in the Q anymore. He needed to rebuild all the team and it's exactly what he did and this yrs, they are contender

You’re really going to use the Q as an example? I mean he’s in charge of one of like two desirable places to live in QMJHL, with the best arena, using his influence as an NHL legend and vast money to attract top Europeans. The job is already far too easy. And what does he have to show for it? 0 QMJHL championships and 1 Memorial Cup in 2006 because he had Radulov who would only report there if drafted in the Q.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
You’re really going to use the Q as an example? I mean he’s in charge of one of like two desirable places to live in QMJHL, with the best arena, using his influence as an NHL legend and vast money to attract top Europeans. The job is already far too easy. And what does he have to show for it? 0 QMJHL championships and 1 Memorial Cup in 2006 because he had Radulov who would only report there if drafted in the Q.
Ohh before his stint with the Avalanche, I truly thought he was overrated and I agree with all what you said, but that's not the case since he return. He really build his team to contend this season with drafting and trade

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
How did he completely shit the bed? He got us to Stanley Cup Finals for first time in 28 years.

Do you see a banner in the rafters?

We all know that run was just a team (mostly goalie) getting hot at the right time. It wasn’t 10 years of roster building that led to them being Tampa Bay quality. He’s Mr. Magoo who has no idea where he’s going but somehow ends up at his destination by sheer luck.

tnq

Feb 16, 2004
If Roy wasvGM, Habs will have 1 coach every month, enjoy the the show people

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Why do you use the Q as exemple for Roy when you clearly don't watch the Q ?

I do watch the Q. I watch enough to see his team lose in the 1st round every year. I also had a great view when they choked against Halifax and blew a 3-0 series lead.

I've also watched the jerk try to intimidate kids in press conferences. Of course we're talking about someone who got arrested in a domestic disturbance.

He'd be just a wonderful candidate for the job. Hard pass!

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I do watch the Q. I watch enough to see his team lose in the 1st round every year. I also had a great view when they choked against Halifax and blew a 3-0 series lead.

I've also watched the jerk try to intimidate kids in press conferences. Of course we're talking about someone who got arrested in a domestic disturbance.

Those thing where all before his second stint, he's not my 1st candidate and I don't even think he's the GM in the Q but he did change as an executive since he's stint in Colorado

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
He also missed the playoffs 4 times in 9 years. If we miss this year it will be a 5th time in 10 years which is 50% of the time.
And last year was a complete fluke.In a normal year we wouldn't have made the playoffs

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Quebec Ramparts lost in final twice and lost in semis 3 times as well as win the memorial cup. Two finals and three semis in 20 years is actually a better result than the montreal canadiens. Roy spent some time in col but i'm sure he still had an influence on the team.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I see value 8n waiting until the off season to do a search for a new GM when the team will have more options. And I hope the #1 criteria is best person for the job without qualifiers like being bilingual. But we will see I guess. I don't think MB will do anything purposely to hurt the franchise. Going with an interim GM may be an option but it's the same issue they fave with leaving MB in place.
If the orrfect candidate is available sure you jump.on it.

I'd be ok with an up and Comer as well, as long as they had a great network with NHL contacts.
Would Mark Hunter interest any1? No BS, strong willed, respected in hockey community.... ( if speaking French inst a factor )

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Patrick hates losing. Bergevin removed that “no excuses” sign pretty quickly.

Not hating losing isn't the issue with this team. Arguably, the issue might be hating losing. The way you get a capped out team with a lot of vets but a clear lack of high-end talent is if you're so uncomfortable with losing that you avoid rebuilding and don't have the drafting and developing to make up for that

Patrick has a huge ego but guys loved playing for him. Bergevin has a huge ego, and most guys don’t like his negotiating style. Other than the ones he likes.

That doesn't sound right. They seem pretty comparable TBH.

Patrick has won at every level as a player and a manager. Bergevin has not, and continues to fail his way into minor successes.

Roy hasn't won as coach/manager at the only level that matters to the Habs. The NHL. He was notably bad at the NHL level to the point that other markets noticed it.

Bergevin isn’t getting the job done. It’s painfully obvious is it not by this point? He’s pissed away every opportunity he’s had, and he’s had a ton, and the team is still without an identity. Some of it isn’t his fault, but most of it is…

They had a pretty clear identity before the 3 games of this season. A flawed identity, but a clear one.

Patrick is one of the few guys with the stones to actually burn down the old boys club that’s set up shop, he’s got the pedigree that keeps the media in check, he’s a Franco, and he loves (and thrives under) the spotlight. And whatever he does, you know he’d be entertaining at least.

Maybe, but:

1) Would he want to?
2) Why wouldn't he just set up a different old boys club?

Roy is a candidate because he's bilingual, has NHL management experience and name recognition. Which is fine, but nothing really speaks to him doing a good job. This isn't junior hockey.

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
That actually describes Bergevin pretty well. Narcissists are mostly all sociopaths.

if he was a number nerd with the same results, y’all would be less intimidated by him i’m sure. He’s a tattoed ex athlete that hires his numerous friends and goes to the gym… I can understand why some of y’all would not like someone like him.

PS all the nicknames for bergevin here are just awful - not funny - bad play on word… yet someone is feeling clever everytime lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad