Marc Bergevin - More Excuses Needed... Edition Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Co'mon now, in wich entertainment businesses will you hire someone like you who thinks

''Who cares man? Is the objective to ''enjoy watching''

you're not being realistic here, and that's why you're in no way able to evaluate properly the work of any NHL GM, you may have some valid points to bring in evaluating some of the moves a GM do or not do but if you start a plan to become contender with the premesis that you dont have to entertain your clients you're dead wrong at the start
Oh please...
1) Our GM brought in Therrien and extended him, who provided us with some of the most boring hockey.
2) He fired this coach only to replace him with Julien, a notorious boring defensive coach.
3) So many teams hire coaches who instill boring systems.
4) As if I meant ''let's be boring''.
5) This isn't an entertainment business, it's a Sports Entertainment man. The objective of any competitive sport is to win.
6) Plenty of teams have done rebuilds where they suck and are boring, only to become contenders/winners. It's a common practice.

I mean really dude...I have no idea what you're talking about. Sounds like you just wanted to start arguing about something. I never said being entertaining isn't important, I meant it within the context of a rebuild and considering how boring we've been for years I find it extremely ironic how you're arguing I'm out of touch with reality here...Did you start watching hockey this year? :sarcasm:

To be clear, you answered a post of mine where I was discussing trading Petry with another poster and he said it would worsen us. As if losing Petry is the reason we were more ''entertaining'' this year. Heck, our GM traded Subban, our most entertaining player. And you completely missed the point.
The point was it's okay if we worsen in a year where we are expected to suck, so we can rebuild better and get even more assets for the future. It's been done many times, so no clue why you say nobody does that.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Seasons 1-7 may be about winning the throne but everyone knows season 8 has the night king.

Big reveal in Season 8 ...

h4iWnuy.jpg

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
"Don't try to improve your team in the slightest"

Clearly improves his team. What were you expecting? Filled with a bunch of guffaws but nothing to suggest, the moto of hfboards, criticism with nothing behind it.

"naming young players isn't a plan" - that's not even close to an argument, and neither is pointing to a bunch of failed prospects. You can point to any pool and say "look - this team had a bunch of promising youngsters but they all ****ing failed". Great analysis Kriss E really thought provoking - I guess that means trading vets for picks like you said is a surefire way to end up with nothing. Everything you put out at the moment has been a bunch of nonsense.

If I need to make it clear, the "plan" is clearly to find ways to make advantageous trades, keep the vets worth keeping, and stockpile draft picks. If more vets need to go, they probably will.

When will it be my turn to post and completely evacuate any elements of it from my memory

We brought in a guy for free that was a positive contributor in the games he was in.Unless of course you think we could've gotten Duchene for a 4th round pick and that's why you're mad. Would make sense.

Weal and Thompson actually were improvements, that we didn't make the playoffs is not on them, and you know it. Suggesting it is - is stupid.
The team.was no worse off without Thompson and Weal. These moves didn't hurt us any, but MB will likely be looking to replace them at this years TDD, its all he's capable of doing whether it makes us better or not. You can be sure he'll be swapping them out.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
That's why it's alarming this wasn't planned when Bergevin admitted to a ''reset''.
Habs are at a disadvantage when it comes to UFA. We need to look at other avenues to generate top talent. to compete for a Cup. Like renting out cap space for more draft picks to acquire. A Cup is very doubtful, likely impossible in the future because Montreal is not the choice for top free agents. While our rivals can sign the Chara and Tavares types. We cannot compete with teams in the USA who have little or not state income tax. This will not change in the future so we have to change. If not we will continue to flounder. Doesn't make no difference who the GM is.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Habs are at a disadvantage when it comes to UFA. We need to look at other avenues to generate top talent. to compete for a Cup. Like renting out cap space for more draft picks to acquire. A Cup is very doubtful, likely impossible in the future because Montreal is not the choice for top free agents. While our rivals can sign the Chara and Tavares types. We cannot compete with teams in the USA who have little or not state income tax. This will not change in the future so we have to change. If not we will continue to flounder. Doesn't make no difference who the GM is.
That's complete BS.
Montreal is at a disadvantage in relation to whom exactly?? People are lining up to go play in Long Island are they? Carolina? Dallas? Florida? Detroit? In fun and sunny Winnipeg? Edmonton? Or that fun Cowboy Canadian city named Calgary? People are just lining up to play there aren't they?? All that elite talent moving to Buffalo and Vancouver, hot dang it am I right? Look at the stars that signed in New York lately...Oh, Right...

First off, there just isn't that many unrestricted strong free agents anymore...Last year there were what..2? Tavares and Stastny. So this is the first year in a while we are going into the open market with guys like Karlsson, Duchene, Panarin, Pavelski, possibly hitting the market.
Second, money and term was always the most common determining factor. Overpay and you'll very possibly land one of those free agents.
Third, compete level of the team.
Fourth, there aren't too many teams that have no income tax. Dallas and Florida have the lowest ones and god knows nobody has really lined up to sign with them. Radulov is the only one and we signed him before where he could have gone to Detroit.

This is just another excuse.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The team.was no worse off without Thompson and Weal. These moves didn't hurt us any, but MB will likely be looking to replace them at this years TDD, its all he's capable of doing whether it makes us better or not. You can be sure he'll be swapping them out.

I think Weal will stick around with the team.

Reactions: jaffy27

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Weal see... (sorry i couldn't resist). Seriously tho why not keep him? I mean, could Bergevin really get something better for a 4th liner? If so i can see Habs moving him+ another piece for a btter top niner.

You got a like for that pun usage... well done!

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It looks like he's bringing back the same team at forward.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Shaw
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Weal
Deslauriers

Hudon let go. Peca & Weise to waivers.

Probably signs Benn too.

Mete - Weber
Benn - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Folin

Price
Lindgren

No real room for Poehling.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Drouin - Domi - Shaw
Byron - Thompson - Weal
Deslauriers

Probably signs Benn too.

Mete - Weber
Benn - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Folin

Price
Lindgren

No room.......for now

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Drouin - Domi - Shaw
Byron - Thompson - Weal
Deslauriers

Probably signs Benn too.

Mete - Weber
Benn - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Folin

Price
Lindgren

This lineup is pure garbage

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC

Drouin - Domi - Shaw
Byron - Thompson - Weal
Deslauriers

Probably signs Benn too.

Mete - Weber
Benn - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Folin

Price
Lindgren

This line up does not make the playoffs
Tatar, Gallagher, Danault and domi all had career years and we missed. Unless offensive upgrade are made will finish 9-11 again

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
That's complete BS.
Montreal is at a disadvantage in relation to whom exactly?? People are lining up to go play in Long Island are they? Carolina? Dallas? Florida? Detroit? In fun and sunny Winnipeg? Edmonton? Or that fun Cowboy Canadian city named Calgary? People are just lining up to play there aren't they?? All that elite talent moving to Buffalo and Vancouver, hot dang it am I right? Look at the stars that signed in New York lately...Oh, Right...

First off, there just isn't that many unrestricted strong free agents anymore...Last year there were what..2? Tavares and Stastny. So this is the first year in a while we are going into the open market with guys like Karlsson, Duchene, Panarin, Pavelski, possibly hitting the market.
Second, money and term was always the most common determining factor. Overpay and you'll very possibly land one of those free agents.
Third, compete level of the team.
Fourth, there aren't too many teams that have no income tax. Dallas and Florida have the lowest ones and god knows nobody has really lined up to sign with them. Radulov is the only one and we signed him before where he could have gone to Detroit.

This is just another excuse.

Agreed, although I'd point every year in April/May/June it looks like there is finally a big crop of name players, but the truth is most will end up re-signing.

The fact is Montreal should be a prime destination for UFAs, a tier below the Rangers/LA but still a top destination. The reason we don't sign them is because most UFAs are going to get the same amount of money regardless of where they sign, so the deciding factor is family and a chance to win. We can't control family (Though we could probably do a better job selling/promoting the city), but we can control how competitive the team is. In the late 90s nobody wanted to play for us because there was no chance to win, Gainey brought us back to respectibility and we started signing top guys. But with Bergevin we are sliding back towards not being desirable again.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
This line up does not make the playoffs
Tatar, Gallagher, Danault and domi all had career years and we missed. Unless offensive upgrade are made will finish 9-11 again
If we made zero adjustments, we’d be an 8th or 9th place team.......needless to say I’d be very disappointed and I’m sure Price and Weber would share my sentiment

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
If we made zero adjustments, we’d be an 8th or 9th place team.......needless to say I’d be very disappointed and I’m sure Price and Weber would share my sentiment
Just seems like there’s no roster spots available upfront. It’s just weird It’s April an it seems after leks and Armia are signed the forward groups is set

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Obviously, going in with the same lineup and expecting a better result, would be the epitomy of delusion.

I agree with you -- there need to be further adjustments -- hopefully, in the form of significant improvements. Until we know what they are, it's useless to imagine lineups based on the signatures of fringe players like Weal, Thompson and Folin.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Obviously, going in with the same lineup and expecting a better result, would be the epitomy of delusion.

I agree with you -- there need to be further adjustments -- hopefully, in the form of significant improvements. Until we know what they are, it's useless to imagine lineups based on the signatures of fringe players like Weal, Thompson and Folin.
Precisely.....affirming with certainty that they will or will not make the playoffs in April is the true definition of jumping the gun.......

There’s the draft, trades and July 1st that will factor in our decision making on wether the habs have what it takes to make it to the dance.....

Right now though, status quo would be a very unwise decision if you ask me.......changes will come, trades will be made and someone of significance will be signed

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad