Rumor: Marc Bergevin meets with team leaders, without Therrien

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Bergevin: So I talked to Price, Weber, and Pacioretty.
Therrien: Oh?
Bergevin: Without you.
Therrien: Oh.
Bergevin: They said they hated you. What losers!
Therrien: Ha Ha Ha!

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006

Would be heartbreaking for the guy. You can tell how much adoration he has for Shea.

The first time MT ever laid eyes on him.
52UV0cq.gif

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I take the Bergy over the Gainey era....

Berg gotta make his first change (firing) if the Habs continue to falter...
He shocked the hockey world trading Subban....It won't be a shock to me he wakes up (if we go 1 in 4 in the next 5 )and fires the coach...

Even he gotta know that 4 wins in 21 games and 5 or 6 wins in 20 games a year later after making changes in the offseason, you gotta rid the coach ...

There's no doubt MB is the best Habs GM in a while though that may speak to the quality of GM's we had.

Then against there's some who still defend Gauthier

Comparing him to others is meaningless. It doesn't matter, it makes no difference to what happens today.

He inherited the team with Price in his mid 20's, PK Subban, a 3rd overall pick (Galchenyuk), Markov with still some juice left in the tank, Pacioretty. What will he have left when he's done?

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Comparing him to others is meaningless. It doesn't matter, it makes no difference to what happens today.

He inherited the team with Price in his mid 20's, PK Subban, a 3rd overall pick (Galchenyuk), Markov with still some juice left in the tank, Pacioretty. What will he have left when he's done?

A steaming pile of dung in a foxhole.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Nothing to see here boys come on....meeting was in the lobby....wow....talk about a non-event.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Lets say we did hire Roy...
We seen how it ended in Colorado...would have been the same here....IMHO

Bob Hartley who was rumored to the Habs guy(first choice) ,got canned in Calgary pretty fast...being too "hard " on his players .Players tuned him out ...

To be honest? We would be no further ahead ....IMHO

We did get to round 3 , further than we did for many many years....but there has been a stink slide 2 years straight ....
They changed the players out last year......now only thing you can do is fire the coach ...

Claude Julien as next Habs coach? Well again as we sit Feb 2017 he's the best french speaker available at this time...
He got a Stanley Cup and almost got the Bruins a second one ,but fell 1 game short....

At this point , there is no "downgrade" with CJ....It very well could be it clear the room of the bad air, and Habs go rolling .
Claude and Therrien are different when it comes to players....

I really feel bad for the Habs player , because they hated Jacques Martin ,and the Habs fire him and basically hired back Jacques Martin again.

Therrien and Martin got same style with players....There both old school..wear hard on players...

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Lets say we did hire Roy...
We seen how it ended in Colorado...would have been the same here....IMHO

Bob Hartley who we was rumored to the Habs guy(first choice) ,got canned in Calgary pretty fast...being too "hard " on his players .Players tuned him out ...

To be honest? We would be no further ahead ....IMHO

We did get to round 3 , further than we did for many many years....but there has been a stink slide 2 years straight ....They changed the players out last year......now only thing you can do is fire the coach ...

Claude Julien as next Habs coach? Well again as we sit Feb 2017 he's the best french speaker available at this time...
He got a Stanley Cup and almost got the Bruins a second one ,but fell 1 game short....

At this point , there is no "downgrade" with CJ....It very well could be it clear the room of the bad air, and Habs go rolling .
Claude and Therrien are different when it comes to players....

I really feel bad for the Habs player , because they hated Jacques Martin ,and the Habs fire him and basically hired back Jacques Martin again.

Therrien and Martin got same style with players....There both old school..wear hard on players...

I wasn't really talking about coaching. I think MT is a junk coach but my biggest gripe has always been with Bergevin.

Yeah we did make it to the 3rd round under MB, but we did that in 2010 too.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You don't get it.

It is pretty sure that MB told MT before the meeting. MB wants to know what's going on inside the room, and also give a good pep talk to his so called leaders. After all, he is the one who gave them fat contracts.

"Fat contract" of $4.5M per year to one of the top 5 goalscorers in the league, sure.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
I wasn't really talking about coaching. I think MT is a junk coach but my biggest gripe has always been with Bergevin.

Yeah we did make it to the 3rd round under MB, but we did that in 2010 too.

I was traumatized by Pierre Gauthier and Jacques Martin...
A nightmare that couldn't end soon enough for me and many..
I didn't trust Gauthier to trade Subban which he was ready to do...
I shudder to think what we would have got back.
Bergy at-least got us a good return ...

Bergy, i got to admit hasn't done a bad job in comparison IMHO.
Ya he goes diving for bargains,but that's no different than what we do in the draft 1 thru 7.....
He did manage to fish out Biron / Phillip Danault/Radu.....that's pretty good, way better than some draft years
where we had all 7 picks bust....

He had the guts to go get Vanek, even tho it didn't end well...but he went for it ...

He had the guts to trade Subban...and never got swindled ...

He picked the best french speaker coach available with experience ,as a rookie GM ,who gave him a good chance to get his feet wet....
Therrien did that for him....I mean we haven't been finishing last place every year etc....

I just think it's nearing the time Bergy got to drop the hammer and shift gears behind the bench ,
if this slide continues ,due to the same slide happened last year.

Claude Julien is 56 years old...So nearing retirement age.
3-4 years to finish off with the Habs? I wouldn't mind it ...
He did almost win 2 Cups with the Bruins...
Won 1 and came with in 1 game of winning another...
Better guy in the dressing room with the players ....
I think that's what the room needs now...
I feel so bad , they hated Martin got him fired, then Habs hire back Martin(Therrien)..
Same type of coach, wears hard on the players...

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Ya he goes diving for bargains,but that's no different than what we do in the draft 1 thru 7.....
He did manage to fish out Biron / Phillip Danault/Radu.....that's pretty good, way better than some draft years

He had the guts to go get Vanek, even tho it didn't end well...but he went for it ...

He picked the best french speaker coach available with experience ,as a rookie GM ,who gave him a good chance to get his feet wet....
Therrien did that for him....I mean we haven't been finishing last place every year etc....

I just think it's nearing the time Bergy got to drop the hammer and shift gears behind the bench ,

I feel so bad , they hated Martin got him fired, then Habs hire back Martin(Therrien)..
I'd feel a lot better about MB if he hadn't of stuck with MT all this time.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB

Gerard Gallant?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

Where is the ''They hate us cause they ain't us'' Bergevin meme when you need it!! :laugh::laugh:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Gerard Gallant?

Gallant's not a french speaker....That is a hot potato in this market we all know it ...

All these french speaking coaches with experience are nearing retirement age...
Claude Julien 56 years old
Alain Vigneault 55 years old...
Marc Crawford 55 years old
Bob Hartley 56 years old

Habs will be facing a crisis in next 5 years.....

Guy Boucher will be 50....Patrick Roy will be heading for 57 years old,then who else speaks french with experience?

Last edited:

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Gallant's not a french speaker....That is a hot potato in this market we all know it ...

All these french speaking coaches with experience are nearing retirement age...
Claude Julien 56 years old
Alain Vigneault 55 years old...
Marc Crawford 55 years old
Bob Hartley 56 years old

Habs will be facing a crisis in next 5 years.....

Guy Boucher will be 50....then who else speaks french with experience?

Years ago the Nords hired an Anglo coach, chambers I think, and at his first press conference he said he was taking French lessons. Nipped it the bud right off the bat. After that he was merely judged on results. Habs should use the same tactic in the future in case no viable French speaking candidates surface.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Years ago the Nords hired an Anglo coach, chambers I think, and at his first press conference he said he was taking French lessons. Nipped it the bud right off the bat. After that he was merely judged on results. Habs should use the same tactic in the future in case no viable French speaking candidates surface.

There really shouldn't be a bud to nip in the first place.
The Habs as an organization let the Cunnyworth situation get the best of them.
They found themselves on the defensive instead of laying down the law.
Had that be handled properly things would be much different IMO.
Most die hard fans just want to win.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
We have the best goalie in the league, another Team Canada #1 defenceman in Weber to go with some other nice pieces on the backend. And a forward group that can be good if utilized right. It's a great fit for Julien. The Panthers are a Frankenstein team filled with overpaid UFA's and aging players like Luongo and Jagr. Not to mention, will their owner, even tho he has said and shown he will spend money, dig into his pockets for a coach? And as far as Vegas goes, nobody wants to be the first coach of an expansion team.

You realize that recent expansion teams had coaches like Dave King, Jacques Lemaire and Barry Trotz, right?

Last edited:

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
There really shouldn't be a bud to nip in the first place.
The Habs as an organization let the Cunnyworth situation get the best of them.
They found themselves on the defensive instead of laying down the law.
Had that be handled properly things would be much different IMO.
Most die hard fans just want to win.

Gauthier was way too weak to deal with that. Gainey never would have let that crap happen. He wasn't afraid to tell off the press. Molson siding with the press certainly didn't help matters either.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Maybe not but Gainey was a horrible GM.

By that standard so is Bergevin. And Bergevin's entire media strategy was to charm them. It no longer works so now he's just ornery with them. He's the guy who only knew how to sell himself and never knew how to sell a good product.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00