Rumor: Marc Bergevin meets with team leaders, without Therrien

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Reporter: Did the leadership of the team have a private meeting with Bergevins sans Therrien being present?

Pacioretty: We talk everyday! Lolz!

---------------

What did you expect him to say? "Yeah, we're growing tired of the ol' oaf behind the bench and would like to see a change"?

This is the same guy that lied through his teeth time and time again saying he had no problems with pk. Come on

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Reporter: Did the leadership of the team have a private meeting with Bergevins sans Therrien being present?

Pacioretty: We talk everyday! Lolz!

---------------

What did you expect him to say? "Yeah, we're growing tired of the ol' oaf behind the bench and would like to see a change"?

This is the same guy that lied through his teeth time and time again saying he had no problems with pk. Come on

It's fair for the reporter to ask the question. He has to do his job after all. But we all know the answer will not be something juicy.

And as for problems with PK. He said he had no problems with him, but I don't think there has been anything that has proved it was the opposite.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
If we lose to freaking Arizona the NHL's worst team ... a couple days after being embarrassed by Colorado, the NHL's next worst team ... perhaps that's a message being sent to management. MB may have been trying to head that off.... MB isn't an idiot, he knows there is a rift in the room, he's asking his leaders how bad it is, and where the biggest issues lay.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
January 21, 2016

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news...-coach-therrien-will-not-be-fired-this-season
STU COWAN
MONTREAL GAZETTE

Canadiens fans who were hoping that coach Michel Therrien will get fired are out of luck.

General manager Marc Bergevin met with the team for about 20 minutes before Thursday’s practice in Brossard — which was run by Therrien — and then gave his entire coaching staff a vote of confidence when he addressed the media after practice.

Bergevin’s message to his players was simple: Don’t play not to lose, play to win.”

When Bergevin was asked if he was willing to go as far as confirming that Therrien and his coaching staff would not be fired for the remainder of the season — no matter what happens going forward — the GM said: “Yes, I’m going this far.”

He then added: “It’s on me … it’s on me.”

By putting all the pressure on himself, Bergevin is obviously hoping to take some pressure off Therrien and his players, who have been struggling to score goals while squeezing their sticks tightly. The Canadiens are 4-16-1 during their last 21 games while averaging less than two goals per game and have fallen to 10th place in the Eastern Conference standings and out of a playoff spot.

So here we are little more than 1 year later ,since Jan 9th to Feb 8th we got 5 wins in our last 15 games

We have been shutout our last 2 games

3 goals in our last 4 games...

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
January 21, 2016

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news...-coach-therrien-will-not-be-fired-this-season

So here we are little more than 1 year later ,since Jan 9th to Feb 8th we got 5 wins in our last 15 games

We have been shutout 2 game in a row..

3 goal in last 4 games...
It is very troubling.

Bergevin helped address some of the shortcomings of this roster when he signed and lucked out on Radulov. But his job isn't done.

And I'm optimistic about this team as is, adding the right piece can put them over the top.

But again, their play of late has been troubling. The week off can't come sooner for them.

Raider917

Feb 4, 2004
Nova Scotia
If we lose to freaking Arizona the NHL's worst team ... a couple days after being embarrassed by Colorado, the NHL's next worst team ... perhaps that's a message being sent to management. MB may have been trying to head that off.... MB isn't an idiot, he knows there is a rift in the room, he's asking his leaders how bad it is, and where the biggest issues lay.

isnt it colorado thats the worst and arizona is 2nd worst? either way this team shouldnt be losing to either. if theyre not humiliated already its embarrasing to the franchise.

i would like to see it get to a low enough point to cause a fire sale and complete rebuild but if it didnt happen last year it wont happen this year.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Julien could be hired by the Panthers or the Golden Knights tomorrow.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that.

I say the next 5 games ....Habs go 1 in 4 in the next 5 games ,it could mean change..

They got rid of Subban brought in Weber & Radu & Shaw and a better back up goalie..and Muller
Bergy covered for the slide last year"It's on me" and world class Price injured etc...OK..
Yet it seems the same type of slide is occurring AGAIN at almost the same time as last year...
This time with Price in nets.....Bergy can't keep covering up for Therrien....or threatening players with "I ain't firing the coach"...He tried that last year ,and it failed.....

The 2016 /17 HABS with 5 wins in last 15 games with Price
vs
Habs 2015/ 2016 with 4 wins in 21 games without Price

I can't see the Panthers appealing to Claude Julien....After seeing Gallant get shanked ....

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Guys, he's not going to fire Therrien. It's not going to happen. The only hope any of us have is if Molson has enough and figures it's been 5 years with no improvement, and cleans house.

The Bergevin era set this team back at least 5-8 years. Price's best years are behind him. Markov is going to retire, possibly this offseason given his ex wife died and he is taking custody of the kids. Pacioretty's cheap years are over. Weber is declining. Galchenyuk's development is stunted.

It's done. They need to clean house and whoever comes in is going to have a lot of work to do. That's a very sad fact.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Probably just trying to rally the troops for the inevitable Galchenyuk for Thornton trade.

If there's one idiot I dislike and think is nearly as incompetent as Therrien... it's Bergevin.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Guys, he's not going to fire Therrien. It's not going to happen. The only hope any of us have is if Molson has enough and figures it's been 5 years with no improvement, and cleans house.

The Bergevin era set this team back at least 5-8 years. Price's best years are behind him. Markov is going to retire, possibly this offseason given his ex wife died and he is taking custody of the kids. Pacioretty's cheap years are over. Weber is declining. Galchenyuk's development is stunted.

It's done. They need to clean house and whoever comes in is going to have a lot of work to do. That's a very sad fact.

We're ****ed

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Julien could be hired by the Panthers or the Golden Knights tomorrow.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that.

We have the best goalie in the league, another Team Canada #1 defenceman in Weber to go with some other nice pieces on the backend. And a forward group that can be good if utilized right. It's a great fit for Julien. The Panthers are a Frankenstein team filled with overpaid UFA's and aging players like Luongo and Jagr. Not to mention, will their owner, even tho he has said and shown he will spend money, dig into his pockets for a coach? And as far as Vegas goes, nobody wants to be the first coach of an expansion team.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

I take the Bergy over the Gainey era....

Berg gotta make his first change (firing) if the Habs continue to falter...
He shocked the hockey world trading Subban....It won't be a shock to me he wakes up (if we go 1 in 4 in the next 5 )and fires the coach...

Even he gotta know that 4 wins in 21 games and 5 or 6 wins in 20 games a year later after making changes in the offseason, you gotta rid the coach ...

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
MT will only be fired if MB is fired. That's one of the main things learned from last season.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He somehow survived the biggest collapse in this franchise's history. He's not two losses away from being gone.

He does not have Price to blame the losses on this year... and neither does MB. So, no question MT will get ****-canned if this team continues forward with these losses.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram

It remember me 10 years ago when Bob Gainey had a meeting with some guys on the team (Koivu , Rivet etc). 2 days later Ribeiro was traded for Ninimaa. Not saying it's the same situation here not at all. But i can't help but to think about it since this morning.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
I take the Bergy over the Gainey era....

Berg gotta make his first change (firing) if the Habs continue to falter...
He shocked the hockey world trading Subban....It won't be a shock to me he wakes up (if we got 1 in 4 in the next 5 )and fires the coach...

Even he gotta know that 4 wins in 21 games and 5 or 6 wins in 20 games a year later after making changes in the offseason, you gotta rid the coach ...

There's no doubt MB is the best Habs GM in a while though that may speak to the quality of GM's we had.

Then against there's some who still defend Gauthier

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
There's no doubt MB is the best Habs GM in a while though that may speak to the quality of GM's we had.

Then against there's some who still defend Gauthier

Gauthier wasn't that good but he wasn't that bad either. At least he didn't make franchise cripplig move like McDonagh for Gomez or the rumored Lecavalier trade.

Didn't like him but at least he didn't do too much damage.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Gauthier wasn't that good but he wasn't that bad either. At least he didn't make franchise cripplig move like McDonagh for Gomez or the rumored Lecavalier trade.

Didn't like him but at least he didn't do too much damage.

Gauthier was all behind that trade!!!

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2012/05/07...r-the-reason-mcdonagh-got-traded-to-new-york/

There’s been no shortage of blame for dealing McDonagh — Montreal’s scouting department (for not recognizing how talented he was), then-GM Bob Gainey (for pulling the trigger) — but the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson has a new one:

Pierre Gauthier.

Gauthier was Gainey’s assistant at the time and eventually ascended to the GM gig.

Here’s the skinny.

The trade of McDonagh to the Rangers to get Scott Gomez came on Bob Gainey’s watch when he was the GM. This should tarnish Gainey’s reputation for knowing who can play in the NHL and who can’t, but several sources say Gauthier’s fingerprints were really all over this one.

“Bob’s daughter had died (swept overboard at sea while working on a training ship) before this and he was letting Pierre do a lot of the work. Pierre didn’t like McDonagh, for some reason. Saw him play in the world juniors and didn’t like him. The scouts loved McDonagh, though. When he was traded, they couldn’t believe it,” said a source close to the scene.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5