Rumor: Marc Bergevin meets with team leaders, without Therrien

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Where was Markov?

Why is Bergevin deciding who the leaders are on this team? Thats extremely weird.

How does Markov feel? Radulov? Plekanec? Gallagher? Galchenyuk? Petry?

Not to mention Youppi

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not to mention Youppi

I was expecting a shot at the Plekanec in my post.

Anyhow, i dont think its fair for anyone and that it makes for terrible team building to self annoint the leaders of a team.

Captains and assistant C are one thing, but circling a few players and making them the leaders seems ridiculous.

Theyre a team, everyone should have a say.

Unless the players had a preemptive meet. Then it makes more sense.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Anyhow, i dont think its fair for anyone and that it makes for terrible team building to self annoint the leaders of a team.

Captains and assistant C are one thing, but circling a few players and making them the leaders seems ridiculous.

Foxhole, highschool mentality from MB. Surprised?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
My Bergevin bye-week moves:

1. Fire Therrien and have Muller take over as interim.

2. Trade Desharnais and a 2nd and a 4th to Dallas for Sharp.

Then, as Muller, I'd set these lines:

Pacioretty - Danault - Gallagher
Sharp - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Shaw
Carr - McCarron - Mitchell
Andrighetto, Flynn

Beaulieu - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Markov - pateryn
Nesterov

PP1
Sharp - Galchenyuk - Radulov
Markov - Weber

PP2
Gallagher - McCarron - Pacioretty
Beaulieu - Petry

PP3
Shaw - Plekanec - Lehkonen

Unless Therrien becomes GM in Dallas right after getting fired, there is no one else on the planet that would make that trade.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Would be heartbreaking for the guy. You can tell how much adoration he has for Shea.

The first time MT ever laid eyes on him.
52UV0cq.gif

MT looks like someones scary uncle in that shot.

Mad Brills*

AG will be gone in the summer, just like how PK was this past year.

He'll be ran out of town by the media idiots on anitchambre and he'll extend hanzal instead.

#isthisajoke?

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
AG will be gone in the summer, just like how PK was this past year.

He'll be ran out of town by the media idiots on anitchambre and he'll extend hanzal instead.

#isthisajoke?

He'll be ran out of town by an incompetant GM and coach, not by the media.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Yeah, I doubt they can do that. Guy is getting paid to stay home. Doesn't mean he can't void that contract and find another job.

Yeah if anything tell Julien to void his deal with them and just compensate him accordingly in terms of paycheck.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I rarely take underseved shots at Plekanec...

As for this meeting, I think the media painted this "meeting" as a lot more formal than it probably was.

I would suspect Bergevin meets with his players more often than we know...its just we don't hear about this stuff when the team is doing well.

When the team is struggling, something insignificant takes on a whole new meaning

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Unless Therrien becomes GM in Dallas right after getting fired, there is no one else on the planet that would make that trade.

What do you think Sharp would return with the season he's had?

I see him bringing back a 2nd and another pick. Desharnais doesn't have negative value at this point, because he's expiring. He's just there to make the $ work.

Unless Dallas is retaining a decent amount on Sharp, any trade involving him would have to bring back salary as any team acquiring him would be very unlikely to have the cap space to take on his hit without any $ going back.

What do you guys think Sharp would return? A 1st? Top prospect. I sort of doubt it.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Yeah if anything tell Julien to void his deal with them and just compensate him accordingly in terms of paycheck.

With the rate at which coaches are fired, I'm pretty sure the clauses are all there in the contracts. Like, the guy can't work for other teams or for the sports media AND get his coaching paycheck. But if he's got an offer, he can sign it and it voids the coaching contract.

I remember having a ridiculously long argument about that on the main board, where someone was telling me it wasn't possible. Dafuk, dude? It happens so often, I'm pretty sure it's just standard clauses in coaching contracts by now.

Fired coaches can't cummulate salaries, of course, but they're more than welcomed to look for another job.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
With the rate at which coaches are fired, I'm pretty sure the clauses are all there in the contracts. Like, the guy can't work for other teams or for the sports media AND get his coaching paycheck. But if he's got an offer, he can sign it and it voids the coaching contract.

I remember having a ridiculously long argument about that on the main board, where someone was telling me it wasn't possible. Dafuk, dude? It happens so often, I'm pretty sure it's just standard clauses in coaching contracts by now.

Fired coaches can't cummulate salaries, of course, but they're more than welcomed to look for another job.

I think you're partially right. Certainly, I don't think you can be paid as a coach by 2 teams. By signing a new deal you're essentially ripping up the old one.

However, I do think the original team have to give other teams permission to speak to you about a new contract. I don't think there are many, if any cases of teams blocking guys, but I remember I think it was Rick Dudley was meant to become our AGM and we had to wait until after the draft because he knew draft secrets of the former team (TML?) or he had to stay out of any draft meetings or discussions. I'm sure someone remembers here.

But either way, I think there are standard out clauses but teams can technically stop you from getting another job as long as they are paying you.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Therrien won't go away, unless there's a friggin miracle, until Bergy will also be gone.

We should all know that by now. (Hope im wrong).

Bergy is all Therrien. He eats with Therrien in the morning, Therrien at diner, Therrien at supper, it's your regular friggin Therrien-fest.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
There's something amiss. The personnel aren't that bad, but with the team playing like this their chances in the playoffs seem dim if not pitch black. Can anyone imagine them reviving in time to beat even one leading team in a seven game series?

Could Bergevin shrug at two consecutive seasons of utter collapse after amazing starts? Could Molson? I suppose we'll have to wait it out and hope for a new coach and/or a fruitful draft (although, unfortunately, the Habs have already amassed too many points to land a very high first round pick).

P.S. I didn't feel so desolate until recently.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Where was Markov?

Why is Bergevin deciding who the leaders are on this team? Thats extremely weird.

How does Markov feel? Radulov? Plekanec? Gallagher? Galchenyuk? Petry?

They didn't score high enough on the intangibles testing in camp to qualify for that sort of meeting.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
Maybe not but Gainey was a horrible GM.

Gainey had a rough stint, but ultimately he lost his job because of the Gomez trade. He was under incredible pressure to find some scoring (Boivin). Martin probably wasn't the best coach for him, but in Gomez' first year we made to the conference finals ... would all have been forgiven if we got to the next step?

A lot of things happened during that time. He was never the same after he lost his daughter. The firing of Carbo, was another turning point (again Boivin). He didn't seem to care after this and stepped aside the next season, not dissimilar to what happened when Dallas management forced him to fire Ken Hitchcock.

Gainey's forgotten more about hockey than you or I will ever know.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Gainey had a rough stint, but ultimately he lost his job because of the Gomez trade. He was under incredible pressure to find some scoring (Boivin). Martin probably wasn't the best coach for him, but in Gomez' first year we made to the conference finals ... would all have been forgiven if we got to the next step?

A lot of things happened during that time. He was never the same after he lost his daughter. The firing of Carbo, was another turning point (again Boivin). He didn't seem to care after this and stepped aside the next season, not dissimilar to what happened when Dallas management forced him to fire Ken Hitchcock.

Gainey's forgotten more about hockey than you or I will ever know.

You lost me when you brought in the name of Boivin. Did you mean the Bruin Dman Leo Boivin? He and offense had no connection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->