Rumor: Marc Bergevin meets with team leaders, without Therrien

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
LMAO!!!! :laugh:

the hysteria amongst Habs fans has reached levels approaching the Darkest Day in History lol

What's really LMAO is that after all these years here, your still confused/suprised as to why these things happen.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
He won a cup while his goalie put up a .940 save % in the playoffs and .938 save % in the regular season.

Thomas had one of the best seasons by a goalie EVER, throw any coach behind Boston's bench that year and they'd likely still win.

...And Therrien failed to win the cup while his goalie put up a .933 SV% and the guy who took over him only needed .908 out of Fleury to win it all.

So where are we going with that?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Daniel Briere told Ron Fournier that from his experience, those kind of meetings serve to know what's being said in the room and what the leaders think the problem is. The GM doesn't ask questions about the coach.

I don't think Therrien is in the hot seat, but he's not that far.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Daniel Briere told Ron Fournier that from his experience, those kind of meetings serve to know what's being said in the room and what the leaders think the problem is. The GM doesn't ask questions about the coach.

If they lose the next two games, he's gone.

So, I'm willing to sacrifice 2 losses to get him out of here.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Comments like these have been made so many times last season that I can't help but laugh when I see this getting posted,

Therrien isn't two losses away from being tossed, get real. If the team ends up missing the playoffs? Now that'd be a real possibility.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

He somehow survived the biggest collapse in this franchise's history. He's not two losses away from being gone.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He somehow survived the biggest collapse in this franchise's history. He's not two losses away from being gone.

It was actually the biggest collapse in the history of the league i think. Maybe even in the history of pro sports.

The lead they had was so big missing the playoffs was simply not an option at the beginning of December.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Comments like these have been made so many times last season that I can't help but laugh when I see this getting posted,

Therrien isn't two losses away from being tossed, get real. If the team ends up missing the playoffs? Now that'd be a real possibility.

Last year nobody would have believed it that we were going to miss the playoffs in January. A few of us pointed out that it would take a very good finish in order for that to happen, and it was pretty unanimous that if that were to happen, if such a historical collapse were to happen, there's no way the coach would survive. But he did!

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
The media can turn on Galchenyuk all they want. I just hope Bergevin doesn't turn on him. That's all that really matters because no matter what the media says and what we as fans say, ultimately the one who holds the real power is Bergevin.

The media and what fans spread on social medias have no influence on Bergevin. He doesn't care about that at all and I'm glad he doesn't. He knows what is going on in his team and will do what he thinks is good for the team.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
It was actually the biggest collapse in the history of the league i think. Maybe even in the history of pro sports.

The lead they had was so big missing the playoffs was simply not an option at the beginning of December.

Depends on how you count. You have to back to the 1930s to find a similar collapse but you're now in a 9 teams league/48 games a year territory.

Definitely the biggest of the "modern" NHL which start in 67.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Comparable to Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots ;)

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

What happens if the players says "it's coach"..lol;)

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

He's not two losses away from being gone but Bergevin got rid of Therrien's nemesis (Subban) and Price is healthy. Bergevin put the team together but it has been with players that Therrien approves of. There are fewer places for Therrien to hide this year if the team fails.

While the playoffs aren't a guarantee, Boston is not very good this year and remains 10 points behind the Canadiens. Florida is 12 points behind and has 3 games in hand. They might be a bigger threat to a playoff spot. The next 5 games will go a long way to determining playoff positions and the fate of coaches around the league.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I'll even add to that an early exit in the playoffs.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I agree. I think only missing the playoffs/1st round exit gets Therrien fired.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The media and what fans spread on social medias have no influence on Bergevin. He doesn't care about that at all and I'm glad he doesn't. He knows what is going on in his team and will do what he thinks is good for the team.

That's exactly what I said.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

You could be very right here. But the possibility of another collapse this year is becoming more a reality this last little while. And maybe Bergevin will choose to act on this now before we get a repeat performance. Just a thought.

Particularly since you have someone like Kirk Muller who can slide over and be the coach, if not just for now. He's a much better replacement than a Dan Lacroix or JJ Daigneault, who would be our options last year. And MB also has a much better list of available coaches to choose from than he did last year. Another just a thought.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
We should hire Jean Perron over Barry Trotz then!???

Or you can use critical thinking and not use hyperbole. We can look at each individual coach and assess whether or not we believe they're a good fit for the team based on what we know and their past. We've seen Therrien have a Stanley Cup winner out of the playoffs and led a team that was in 1st place to not just out of a playoff spot, but well behind the 29th ranked team in the span of the collapse. That's unprecedentedly moronic and that's without mentioning other flaws like David Desharnais's usage, which baffles regular fans and commentators alike.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
This could mean a lot of things, like I said I really don't see him firing Therrien

Asking about other players in the room
Asking about how would they feel with an extension to Radu
Asking about players around the league they might have played with (like Weber and Price regarding Duchene)

Julien will coach this team. It's just a matter of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad