Marc Bergevin: Draft? Edition (XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Rather see Molson take a stance for a change. He is the Owner and President
Yea that would be nice. My issue is time and time again this team just sit's their and takes it. Guess they don't care so long as they are making their millions though...
Wish we had an owner who stood up for his players and team. If that means a fine so be it. Least show some heart and passion for the team for once. Pretend like you care at the very least Mr. Molson

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yea that would be nice. My issue is time and time again this team just sit's their and takes it. Guess they don't care so long as they are making their millions though...
Wish we had an owner who stood up for his players and team. If that means a fine so be it. Least show some heart and passion for the team for once. Pretend like you care at the very least Mr. Molson

NHL is not afraid of the Habs one bit. Molson being a push over owner don't help

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
- I sort of agree with the Hall vs Tatar comment.
- Pietrangelo would be a dream like Tavares and Karlsson. Not going to happen
- Hall would consider the Habs like Danault IMO but he's going home to the Flames.

Just a regular off season talk. Our best move might be trading low to get Leddy. Some will laugh at this but I would take Leddy with retention down to $4M for two years. Leddy helps our PP zone entries and puck moving. 2 year term is not that risky at $4M and Leddy has not lost his skating. Islanders just don't have a Boychuck type for him to pair up with anymore. Habs have Weber who is Boychuck in his prime x10!

I agree about the Habs not likely to win a cup in the short span. I'm open to a lot of different options actually. As long as we don't rip things apart and we improve our future potential moving forward
Habs need to make power moves.
Getting the Hall...Leddy...etc...thats not going to lead us to contention.
It's pièces that would improve us but never good enough to lead anywhere significant. All it does is get us good but never good enough, the endless circle we have been in forever...

There's no Pietrangelo would never come here anymore, they need to make big moves to improve the team. Enough is enough.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
true, but if they were risk free assets, they wouldn’t be available.

in the end, you wouldn’t give up much.
- a recent Hart winner without giving up an asset
- a 22 yr old top 5 pick doing well in Liiga play, for 25 yr old that isn’t working out in home market.
Its not about giving up much for me, I don't mind paying. I just want to do it on worthy players. If not then I rather keep sucking and getting better prospects.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's pièces that would improve us but never good enough to lead anywhere significant. All it does is get us good but never good enough, the endless circle we have been in forever...

There's no Pietrangelo would never come here anymore, they need to make big moves to improve the team. Enough is enough.

I agree we need a power move but if that's not available, I'm not going to sit back and do nothing. Playoff experience and overcoming the hurdle of the 1st round takes a while (ask the Leafs). So I do value a team that makes the playoffs and our kids get experience like we are seeing this playoffs. Took even Michel Jordan a few years to beat the Pistons. Chiarot was not expected to provide impact and he did. So you never know what Leddy at $4M for two years provides.

If we didn't have Price and Weber, I would think much much different.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

quote-enough-is-enough-and-it-s-time-for-a-change-owen-hart-75-0-017.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-21_13-26-32.jpeg
    upload_2020-8-21_13-26-32.jpeg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree we need a power move but if that's not available, I'm not going to sit back and do nothing. Playoff experience and overcoming the hurdle of the 1st round takes a while (ask the Leafs). So I do value a team that makes the playoffs and our kids get experience like we are seeing this playoffs. Took even Michel Jordan a few years to beat the Pistons. Chiarot was not expected to provide impact and he did. So you never know what Leddy at $4M for two years provides.

If we didn't have Price and Weber, I would think much much different.

To me its power moves or keep ducking.
Sick and tired of these half measures.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I respect that. You want to go big and if it's not possible, stay patent and keep adding the futures. Can't argue with that too much cause it would be one of the options I would also consider. I'm open and neither you or I actually know what we can and can't do. I'd love to run our team with you. We'd have some heated debates on direction and as long as there is reason to back up a strategy, I'm not the type to argue for the sake of it.

Actually, you take about 25 ish of our regular posters and put us in a room, I think we can make good decisions. Just need to be willing to listen to alternative ideas. If I can move Price and Weber without retention and get a shit load of young top assets, I would consider it. However, retaining and selling for $0.5 on the dollar? Screw that!

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

I know the response will be "trying doesn't mean anything without success" - but I like that Habs have at least tried.

- They were in big on Stamkos according to rumors
- They were also willing to go very high on Tavares
- They did the only successful offer sheet last year (yes I know they could have offered more - I still say they would have if Aho hadn't been dumb enough to undersell himself and accept, but a bit of blame on both ends).

I think Bergevin wants to and is willing to hit a homerun.

The UFA crop isn't very attractive this year. Hall is ok, i don't like him a lot and also don't think he'd come here. Pietro would be really nice - don't know that we'd have a real shot at him. There are no great RFA's this year (Dubois/Barzal are ok, but not as good as last year's RFA crop).

I think a potential power move/homerun for the Habs are 1 of 2 options:

1. Go hard for a Lafreniere trade. I think this is more realistic than most fans believe. Obviously - it all comes down to how likely Rangers are to listen, and if they're not, there's no chance. But if they are willing to listen, I could see us make a play

2. RFA crop 2021. Next year is crazy, assuming they don't sign early. Hughes, Dahlin, Makar, EP, etc.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I respect that. You want to go big and if it's not possible, stay patent and keep adding the futures. Can't argue with that too much cause it would be one of the options I would also consider. I'm open and neither you or I actually know what we can and can't do. I'd love to run our team with you. We'd have some heated debates on direction and as long as there is reason to back up a strategy, I'm not the type to argue for the sake of it.

Actually, you take about 25 ish of our regular posters and put us in a room, I think we can make good decisions. Just need to be willing to listen to alternative ideas. If I can move Price and Weber without retention and get a shit load of young top assets, I would consider it. However, retaining and selling for $0.5 on the dollar? Screw that!
I dont know specifically what we can do but we definitely can make moves. No reason why not, especially this off season with flat cap and expansion team.

As for us running the team together, I'd have fired you back in 2016. ;)
25 regular posters? Are you nuts! lol You cant gave this many people inputting their opinions on such a high level.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I know the response will be "trying doesn't mean anything without success" - but I like that Habs have at least tried.

- They were in big on Stamkos according to rumors
- They were also willing to go very high on Tavares
- They did the only successful offer sheet last year (yes I know they could have offered more - I still say they would have if Aho hadn't been dumb enough to undersell himself and accept, but a bit of blame on both ends).
You know the response was gonna be trying doesn't matter because you know it's true.
If this was year 2~3...you could still use it as a reason but we are entering year 9, that just doesn't stick anymore.

I think Bergevin wants to and is willing to hit a homerun.
Thats neither here nor there. Every GM wants that.
Make it happen or dont talk about it.

The UFA crop isn't very attractive this year. Hall is ok, i don't like him a lot and also don't think he'd come here. Pietro would be really nice - don't know that we'd have a real shot at him. There are no great RFA's this year (Dubois/Barzal are ok, but not as good as last year's RFA crop).

I think a potential power move/homerun for the Habs are 1 of 2 options:

1. Go hard for a Lafreniere trade. I think this is more realistic than most fans believe. Obviously - it all comes down to how likely Rangers are to listen, and if they're not, there's no chance. But if they are willing to listen, I could see us make a play

2. RFA crop 2021. Next year is crazy, assuming they don't sign early. Hughes, Dahlin, Makar, EP, etc.

We are not trading or signing Laf...Makar...Dahlin...
Might as well just say we are trading for McDavid or Draisalt.

A power move is signing Pietrangelo and Hoffman. Bring those guys in, move others out. At least those guys are set to be UFAs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I dont know specifically what we can do but we definitely can make moves. No reason why not, especially this off season with flat cap and expansion team.

As for us running the team together, I'd have fired you back in 2016. ;)
25 regular posters? Are you nuts! lol You cant gave this many people inputting their opinions on such a high level.

lol. Call it the yin and yan strategy

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You know the response was gonna be trying doesn't matter because you know it's true.
If this was year 2~3...you could still use it as a reason but we are entering year 9, that just doesn't stick anymore.

Thats neither here nor there. Every GM wants that.
Make it happen or dont talk about it.

We are not trading or signing Laf...Makar...Dahlin...
Might as well just say we are trading for McDavid or Draisalt.

A power move is signing Pietrangelo and Hoffman. Bring those guys in, move others out. At least those guys are set to be UFAs.

I'm not saying this to defend Bergevin. ie "don't attack him, at least he's trying and deserves credit". What I am saying is that I'm glad he's trying, and the fact that he has tried on many opportunities could bode well for short-term future. We've been more aggressive than most teams with those attempts - maybe we get lucky and something falls our way next time around. Whether it's Pietro, Laf or an RFA next year as offer sheet.

Pietro has to consciously decide to come play for the Habs. I think that's more difficult, with so many better options available to him (home city Toronto, climate + no taxes in Tampa, bigger contenders in other markets). Habs were willing to overpay Stamkos/Tavares and it didn't work, not sure why it would for Pietro. I'd love to see it.

I think Laf/Offer Sheet are a bit more likely - since the RFA have limited negotiation power. If we pay high enough with a 4 1st round pick offer, we could win. That price is likely worth it for all of Dahlin/Hughes/Makar

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm not saying this to defend Bergevin. ie "don't attack him, at least he's trying and deserves credit". What I am saying is that I'm glad he's trying, and the fact that he has tried on many opportunities could bode well for short-term future. We've been more aggressive than most teams with those attempts - maybe we get lucky and something falls our way next time around. Whether it's Pietro, Laf or an RFA next year as offer sheet.

Pietro has to consciously decide to come play for the Habs. I think that's more difficult, with so many better options available to him (home city Toronto, climate + no taxes in Tampa, bigger contenders in other markets). Habs were willing to overpay Stamkos/Tavares and it didn't work, not sure why it would for Pietro. I'd love to see it.

I think Laf/Offer Sheet are a bit more likely - since the RFA have limited negotiation power. If we pay high enough with a 4 1st round pick offer, we could win. That price is likely worth it for all of Dahlin/Hughes/Makar
Its just so far from possible in my head that I don't see the point in discussing it. All those teams are going to keep these kids. They're more likely to move other players before any of them.

Ya Pietro would have to come here, just like any other player we sign to an offersheet too.
Laf is going nowhere. The NYR is a perfect fit for him, they need him and he doesn't have the pressure of being the go-to guy there

I dont think you're making excuses for Bergey. Just saying, we are entering year 9...you cant bring up his attempts. He's been here for close to a decade ffs. When will you put way more emphasis on how he buillt thia team vs what he tried?
His failed attempts aren't even qprth being mentioned at this point

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If the Habs had missed the playoffs, they would have gotten a high pick. Meanwhile, the Laval Rocket were rapidly improving (even without Kotkaniemi) and would have likely had playoff run. I would have paid money to watch those kids some more. And then Kotkaniemi might have made it back for the second or third round of those playoffs.

All prospect pools look good in the moment, that's true. Do you remember that time that the Habs had a top ten pool but then Therrien and Lefebvre helped f*** up each of Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, McCarron, Scherbak, De La Rose, Avtsin, Nygren,Ellis, etc? The organization has better coaching now. Are you worried about Poehling getting 4th line minutes in Laval this year? Because I am not. If Poehling fails it will be on him,not because he never gets ice time.

Right now, Poehling doesn'T deserve the icetime over Belzile or a Hudon everybody knows won't be with the Habs next year. It was says that he didn't come up in shape. And whether it's our, your, my or his fault, the reality is that he could potentially add his name to the list of surefire great upcoming prospects that won't be.

My only point is that it's perfectly fine to be happy when our prospects do great. I love seeing Pitlick be the offensive guy he is in the USHL. But there's NO WAY right now he, Leguerrier, Fairbrother, Struble, or whatever be included in a list that states that it's a sign we are officially doing much better. 'Cause there were other lists before. And they actually didn't end up doing better. Way too early. Right now, the ONLY guy we know should help is Romanov. That's it. And even him, we don't know to which extent. Up front, the closest is Poehling. And then Caufield. But there are a lot of question mark for Caufield whether it's how he'll elevate his game despite his size, but also the mix of the team.

Right now, I don't see Bergevin understanding what it takes at all. The mix of this team is awful. Still are.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Right now, Poehling doesn'T deserve the icetime over Belzile or a Hudon everybody knows won't be with the Habs next year. It was says that he didn't come up in shape. And whether it's our, your, my or his fault, the reality is that he could potentially add his name to the list of surefire great upcoming prospects that won't be.

My only point is that it's perfectly fine to be happy when our prospects do great. I love seeing Pitlick be the offensive guy he is in the USHL. But there's NO WAY right now he, Leguerrier, Fairbrother, Struble, or whatever be included in a list that states that it's a sign we are officially doing much better. 'Cause there were other lists before. And they actually didn't end up doing better. Way too early. Right now, the ONLY guy we know should help is Romanov. That's it. And even him, we don't know to which extent. Up front, the closest is Poehling. And then Caufield. But there are a lot of question mark for Caufield whether it's how he'll elevate his game despite his size, but also the mix of the team.

Right now, I don't see Bergevin understanding what it takes at all. The mix of this team is awful. Still are.

I don't know man. I think our Habs suffered cause Bergevin learned on the job but I don't think Bergevin is the same guy he was 4 years ago. He's done very well recently by finally stock piling picks, Galchenyuk/Domi and Patch trade. Chiarot signing. However, he did want to sign Gardiner

I think Bergevin is the type to listen to this team. Dudley probably was not a good one to listen too. Lately, I think he is trusting Timmins so it's all about stock piling picks. We are not on a horrible track and it's not fair to criticize him when you don't know what he can and can't do. We don't get the phone calls or to make a call to another GM so.

The biggest question is... will the youth rise and be impact players during the Price/Weber window

Reactions: DAChampion

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I don't know man. I think our Habs suffered cause Bergevin learned on the job but I don't think Bergevin is the same guy he was 4 years ago. He's done very well recently by finally stock piling picks, Galchenyuk/Domi and Patch trade. Chiarot signing. However, he did want to sign Gardiner

I think Bergevin is the type to listen to this team. Dudley probably was not a good one to listen too. Lately, I think he is trusting Timmins so it's all about stock piling picks. We are not on a horrible track and it's not fair to criticize him when you don't know what he can and can't do. We don't get the phone calls or to make a call to another GM so.

The biggest question is... will the youth rise and be impact players during the Price/Weber window

It was never, is never or never will be about what he does in his office or not. We don't know either way. Yet, like any person doing his job, any job, you have to think that he does. The idea here is end results. That's all. Right now, we wouldn't have made the playoffs. Again. End result. Future? We don't know. What we know is that its status quo. Improving somewhere, downgrading somewhere else. Picking picks....that won't do anything to stop Weber and Price aging.

I will always say this. It's one or the other. You want to show me you understand? Fine. You sell it all or almost and start from scratch the right way. Or you sell some picks and rookies like Caufield, Poehling and Co and improve IMMEDIATELY to have a great 5-6 years stretch with Price and Weber. Everything else won't work.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you want Bergevin to go for it then trading Tatar doesn't really make sense. You keep saying Hall is an upgrade but fact remains Tatar outscored him the past two seasons, even this season when he was pretty healthy.
So it's not exactly a certainty Hall would come here and be such an added asset compared to Tatar.
Either keep both or don't sign Hall at all.

If you trade Tatar, well then you better be moving other assets to acquire capable NHL talent to help the team be competitive in the present.
If they don't think they can make the team strong within a year or two, then they should move their vets while their values are still high.

Bergevin built a small team. This remains a handicap in the playoffs. So, some moves have to be made whether it involves Tatar or other midgets. They need a better asset mix, whatever they do -- whether it's for a short window that may try to take advantage of older players with a limited opportunity to perform at current levels or whether it be longer term. The Midget Circus Act needs to end.

Reactions: Toene

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017

Marc Bergevin held a press conference via Zoom on Friday (20/08/21) morning to address the health status on Brendan Gallagher.

“The Department of Player Safety makes a decision - we live with it, we accept it, we move on. That's the way it is, we respect the authority. Everybody's there to try to make a point about their players and what happened, but at the end of the day, they make the call and we live with it. The sad part is, Gallagher's going to miss an extended period of time, and their player will miss one game.”

“I did talk to Gallagher last night. He's a warrior, he wants to play, he wishes he could play. That's probably the toughest part for him: not being able to be with his teammates. But I believe his teammates will rally around that. He's a big part of our team and we can't replace him.”

“The message stays between us - me and the players, our players. I expect 20 guys ready to go to compete tonight from whistle to whistle to win a hockey game...”

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It was never, is never or never will be about what he does in his office or not. We don't know either way. Yet, like any person doing his job, any job, you have to think that he does. The idea here is end results. That's all. Right now, we wouldn't have made the playoffs. Again. End result. Future? We don't know. What we know is that its status quo. Improving somewhere, downgrading somewhere else. Picking picks....that won't do anything to stop Weber and Price aging.

I will always say this. It's one or the other. You want to show me you understand? Fine. You sell it all or almost and start from scratch the right way. Or you sell some picks and rookies like Caufield, Poehling and Co and improve IMMEDIATELY to have a great 5-6 years stretch with Price and Weber. Everything else won't work.

I mean, it's not that complicated really.
With Seattle now coming in and with the flat cap likely to force team to re-strategize and move some guys, this is a great opportunity for Bergy to really take steps in the direction he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad