Marc Bergevin: Draft? Edition (XIV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
I can't blame Bergevin for not planning for Covid, but in my opinion these are his three greatest failures, that have caused the most long-term damage:

- The Drouin for Sergachev trade. That might have been forced by ownership, but Bergevin could have likely had Drouin for cheaper;
- Keeping Lefebvre for six years;

- Not acquiring Teuvo Terevainen when he was available for cheap. Bergevin should have known better as a former Chicago executive;

That said, things are looking up since mid-2018. Bergevin might still be the same fool but if he's surrounded by better people then the situation will keep improving.
I like how Bergevin has been running this team for the most part, but hard to disagree with these two points. Definitely his biggest failures as GM, and each have lasting consequences.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
In a hypothetical scenario where the Habs trade Tatar for assets and sign Hall, they are better off.
If we make that move it means we're going for it so we can't expect to have high draft picks in the next few years.

Bergevin and his top-notch staff:sarcasm: are faced with two options at the end of these playoffs.

1) The prospect pool is decent but we still don't have all the tools in our toolbox. So play the prospects and unload as many of the veterans for top picks to add to our prospect pool.

2) Our prospect pool is filled to the brim with great prospects so let us start going after high caliber players to help the young players that are already here.

It's one or the other. You can't do a smidgen of # one and a pinch of # two.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If we make that move it means we're going for it so we can't expect to have high draft picks in the next few years.

Bergevin and his top-notch staff:sarcasm: are faced with two options at the end of these playoffs.

1) The prospect pool is decent but we still don't have all the tools in our toolbox. So play the prospects and unload as many of the veterans for top picks to add to our prospect pool.

2) Our prospect pool is filled to the brim with great prospects so let us start going after high caliber players to help the young players that are already here.

It's one or the other. You can't do a smidgen of # one and a pinch of # two.

Bergevin, assuming he's conscious, doesn't really have a choice but to go for it. Price, Petry, and Weber have three or four good years left if the Habs are lucky, and Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are now probably good enough that lottery picks should be out of reach. These are the ways for the Habs to add great prospects:

1) A lot of good players get injuries and the Habs do well in the lottery. I guess that's always possible lol.
2) Timmins does well with draft picks in the range 17-224.
3) More clever trades like the Pacioretty trade. That is feasible if they unload one or two forwards for assets and replace them on the UFA market.

I don't think that the farm system is filled to the brim with great players, in my opinion, it would need one or two more impact forwards for that. But the Habs have no choice but to compete so management will need to be strategic and clever.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Trade Domi for a first. Take his money use it to take on contract from a team looking to move salary for another first. Gives us 3 first round picks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trade Domi for a first. Take his money use it to take on contract from a team looking to move salary for another first. Gives us 3 first round picks.

A 1st from 15-31 range is not attractive to me in this draft. I think the probability of hitting from 15-50 range is similar in this draft. Lots of movement on each draft rankings from March to June and with no U18's and playoffs... It's wide open!

I'd do Domi for the Sabres 8th yes. But any other 1st... I actually would ask for the 2021 picks

Reactions: DAChampion

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Will address the media at 11 ET.

What I expect: He'll give news about Julien's health
What would be wise: Politely stating that he doesn't agree with the league's decision on Niskanen
What I hope: That he'll rip Vigneault a new one for his disgusting comments yesterday. Put the onus on Vigneault and the Flyers, for once. Vigneault has been doing this all series long.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bergevin, assuming he's conscious, doesn't really have a choice but to go for it. Price, Petry, and Weber have three or four good years left if the Habs are lucky, and Suzuki and Kotkaniemi are now probably good enough that lottery picks should be out of reach. These are the ways for the Habs to add great prospects:

1) A lot of good players get injuries and the Habs do well in the lottery. I guess that's always possible lol.
2) Timmins does well with draft picks in the range 17-224.
3) More clever trades like the Pacioretty trade. That is feasible if they unload one or two forwards for assets and replace them on the UFA market.

I don't think that the farm system is filled to the brim with great players, in my opinion, it would need one or two more impact forwards for that. But the Habs have no choice but to compete so management will need to be strategic and clever.

If you want Bergevin to go for it then trading Tatar doesn't really make sense. You keep saying Hall is an upgrade but fact remains Tatar outscored him the past two seasons, even this season when he was pretty healthy.
So it's not exactly a certainty Hall would come here and be such an added asset compared to Tatar.
Either keep both or don't sign Hall at all.

If you trade Tatar, well then you better be moving other assets to acquire capable NHL talent to help the team be competitive in the present.
If they don't think they can make the team strong within a year or two, then they should move their vets while their values are still high.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
If you want Bergevin to go for it then trading Tatar doesn't really make sense. You keep saying Hall is an upgrade but fact remains Tatar outscored him the past two seasons, even this season when he was pretty healthy.
So it's not exactly a certainty Hall would come here and be such an added asset compared to Tatar.

If you trade Tatar, well then you better be moving other assets to acquire capable NHL talent to help the team be competitive in the present.
If they don't think they can make the team strong within a year or two, then they should move their vets while their values are still high.

hall should be the drouin replacement.

trade drouin- say, for pulju or Anderson, sign hall. (Perhaps a pick exchanged in these trades)

tatar - Suzuki - gally
hall - KK - Pulju

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

I believe that Hall is better than Tatar. He's been better throughout their careers, and he us massively better in the playoffs.

No, it's not "a certainty" that Hall would better. There are no certainties.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

trade drouin- say, for pulju or Anderson, sign hall. (Perhaps a pick exchanged in these trades)

tatar - Suzuki - gally
hall - KK - Pulju

That's another viable approach. But executive management might want Bergevin to keep the local boy.

When I play "pretend-GM" on here I don't really contemplate trading Drouin. That's more for "pretend-owner".

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

tatar - Suzuki - gally
hall - KK - Pulju
I'm not sure Pulju would want to come back...he's also a gamble where he might be a complete flop.
Anderson is a pipe dream of mine, so I'd be very pleased getting him for Drouin, doubt it will happen.

But if we do trade Drouin vs Pulju....well maybe he keeps sucking so that doesn't help much, and Hall gets injured as is the case almost every year, limiting his addition.

I just don't see this top 6 as being particularly good.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Pointless and gutless press conference by MB. But to be expected... this franchise disgusts me.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I believe that Hall is better than Tatar. He's been better throughout their careers, and he us massively better in the playoffs.

No, it's not "a certainty" that Hall would better. There are no certainties.

Being better is irrelevant if you can't finish the year or outproduce the guy you're replacing.
Markov was our best Dman when he went down with all those knee injuries. How did that help us?
Hall is better than Tatar, but if he's gonna get injured as he always does ending the season with less points, then it's not an improvement.

If you want to push for a signing that can drastically improve this team, it's Pietrangelo.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I'm not sure Pulju would want to come back...he's also a gamble where he might be a complete flop.
Anderson is a pipe dream of mine, so I'd be very pleased getting him for Drouin, doubt it will happen.

But if we do trade Drouin vs Pulju....well maybe he keeps sucking so that doesn't help much, and Hall gets injured as is the case almost every year, limiting his addition.

I just don't see this top 6 as being particularly good.

true, but if they were risk free assets, they wouldn’t be available.

in the end, you wouldn’t give up much.
- a recent Hart winner without giving up an asset
- a 22 yr old top 5 pick doing well in Liiga play, for 25 yr old that isn’t working out in home market.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Here is what he said when he was asked about Kotkaniemi and Suzuki during his presser:

Ef9Gz8uWsAEAQq0

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Being better is irrelevant if you can't finish the year or outproduce the guy you're replacing.
Markov was our best Dman when he went down with all those knee injuries. How did that help us?
Hall is better than Tatar, but if he's gonna get injured as he always does ending the season with less points, then it's not an improvement.

If you want to push for a signing that can drastically improve this team, it's Pietrangelo.

- I sort of agree with the Hall vs Tatar comment.
- Pietrangelo would be a dream like Tavares and Karlsson. Not going to happen
- Hall would consider the Habs like Danault IMO but he's going home to the Flames.

Just a regular off season talk. Our best move might be trading low to get Leddy. Some will laugh at this but I would take Leddy with retention down to $4M for two years. Leddy helps our PP zone entries and puck moving. 2 year term is not that risky at $4M and Leddy has not lost his skating. Islanders just don't have a Boychuck type for him to pair up with anymore. Habs have Weber who is Boychuck in his prime x10!

I agree about the Habs not likely to win a cup in the short span. I'm open to a lot of different options actually. As long as we don't rip things apart and we improve our future potential moving forward

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
In other words, you want him to react like a fan would?
No take a fine. React like you have a spine for once. Who hell would want play for a boss that does not even have your back after someone breaks your jaw?? If I am the players and my top leaders do or say nothing, I would never want to go to war with them. Enough of this politically correct BS with this organization. This stuff happens to often to this once proud franchise. We have become weak and an embarrassment to the league thanks to guys like Molson and MB having zero spine.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
If Bergevin did that, fans would criticize him for not being professional. Some will never like whatever he does at this point.
Oh heaven forbid this team for once ruffles some feathers! And at some point they need to! Most fans would appreciate MB going off on the refs and Philly. Take a god damn fine! Cowards

Reactions: Habs178

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
No take a fine. React like you have a spine for once. Who hell would want play for a boss that does not even have your back after someone breaks your jaw?? If I am the players and my top leaders do or say nothing, I would never want to go to war with them. Enough of this politically correct BS with this organization. This stuff happens to often to this once proud franchise. We have become weak and an embarrassment to the league thanks to guys like Molson and MB having zero spine.

You say it like behind closed doors, MB didn't put up a fight. What you saw at the press conference was MB having all night and all morning to let it set in and prepare. I bet if he had this press conference after the ruling came out, he would not be talking like he did today.

Also, he said he spoke with his players and will keep that internal.

You really want him to come out and react like the fans are.

What would come of it if he went in there guns blazing? You get the satisfaction?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh heaven forbid this team for once ruffles some feathers! And at some point they need to! Most fans would appreciate MB going off on the refs and Philly. Take a god damn fine! Cowards

Rather see Molson take a stance for a change. He is the Owner and President

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad