Marc Bergevin: At the End o'da Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
But sure, let Subban off the line-up because of contract problems......and Galchenyuk was at center.
I honestly just looked at the lineup for game 1 of that season...forgot Subban was in a holdout, it didn't even occur to me to be honest. I guess i've wiped out the memory he ever played for the Habs, it's easier to deal with that way lol. I'll amend my post accordingly though.

As for Galchenyuk...whether or not he was at center is irrelevant to the point of the post...swap spots with Prust, it's still the same lineup.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
100% yes.
Poehling is a ''maybe at best'' in 2 years from now and our time was right now back then.
And with a top center like Schenn, we would probably never go down as we did so we wouldn't have get a top 3 pick. So, Yes without a doubt

We disagree on this. I might of said yes to acquiring Schenn for that price at the time but looking back now, no way I would of liked that trade. Poehling is not a maybe at best and if we made that trade, we would be looking like the Sens. No Poehling and no 2019 1st and a team still with holes.

My point is we did not have a surplus of assets to use in trades and we were not close to being a true cup contender. We were cup pretenders. We lived and died on team defense in front of Price and we could not win any playoff battles.

I choose patience. Savard was a patient GM and we need this approach. We needed this approach back in 2012 and Bergevin decided to make depth moves instead of trading vets for futures to build a young core and better 1st round picks than the 25th position

bryan1966

Time for some fast & skilled hockey!
Nov 24, 2011
New Hampshire
So if we fired Bergevin...

After the 2015/2016 Season: It would of been 1 year of his previous contract and all 5 years of his current contract. About $13M

After Last season: It would of been 4 years, so about $10M

A lot of money to write off. I think this is the real reason why he is still around.

And still paying Therien for the 2018-2019 season also

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I honestly just looked at the lineup for game 1 of that season...forgot Subban was in a holdout, it didn't even occur to me to be honest. I guess i've wiped out the memory he ever played for the Habs, it's easier to deal with that way lol. I'll amend my post accordingly though.

As for Galchenyuk...whether or not he was at center is irrelevant to the point of the post...swap spots with Prust, it's still the same lineup.

Your point is overlooked. The 2012 roster was not a Stanley cup roster. Even with Price, Subban, Patch, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Markov, Pleky and other vets. The idea that that roster should of been easy to improve on when we needed two top 2 centers and had a bad prospect pool that lacked quantity is ridiculous.

But wait, there was this one draft year that was awesome (2007) and that excuses the Habs for the following 4 years of terrible drafting. Pretty sure if Bergevin was the GM from 2007-2011, those haters would be all over this

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
And still paying Therien for the 2018-2019 season also

Exactly. I was thinking about other examples where teams clean house and wrote off $10-15M in future contracts. Anybody have any comparables they can provide? It's so obvious to me why Bergevin still has his job. It's about $ and term left.

Reactions: bryan1966

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Your point is overlooked. The 2012 roster was not a Stanley cup roster. Even with Price, Subban, Patch, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Markov, Pleky and other vets. The idea that that roster should of been easy to improve on when we needed two top 2 centers and a bad prospect pool that lacked quantity is ridiculous
That team just overachieved!

And after years of hearing how this team was nothing but Price, now the whole narrative changed and we apparently had an amazing D back in the days and that's why Price can't carry the team anymore! Just ridiculous...

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Our lineup game 1 of 2012-2013 season

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Prust-Gallagher
Moen-White-Armstrong

Extras: Eller, Blunden

Markov-Emelin(*)
Gorges-Diaz
Bouillon-Kaberle

Extra: Weber
*Subban in contract holdout

Compare this cast to whatever lineup you want to come up with that will start game 1 of this season.

Seems like they have a lot of the same strengths (few) and weaknesses (many).

But sure, let's act like things were so much better then lol

6 years ago..

Pacioretty was a 30+ goal scorer
DD just had a 60 pts season
Cole was a 30+ goal scorer
Bourque was a 20 goal scorer
Plekanec was a 20 goal/55 pts center
Gionta was a 20+ goal scorer

And a Galchenyuk and Gallagher full of potential on the third line.

So yes, we were significant better back then.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It has to be better in 2012 in Byrson's world. He hates Bergevin so much and it has to be this way. In his world, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc, Kristo = our current prospect group. Weber is younger than Markov was in 2012 but Weber is done and Markov was still in his prime.
Well I agree that our team from 2012 was way more interesting than our current roster...

Price 25 years old / considered one of the best young goaltender in the game.

Subban 24 years old / top pairing defenseman

Pacioretty 24 years old / 30+ goal scorer (already)

Eller 24 years old / solid 2 way center

If we had that currently with the current habs everybody would be excited... Instead they stagnated, never traded for another top 6 center, trade away a top defenseman for an older one and here we are.

think:
Seth Jones, Mikko Rantanen, John Gibson
vs
Victor Mete, Jonathan Drouin, Lindgren

Yes if you had these 3 pieces to the like of Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Ylonen, etc. I can guarantee you the fans would be more excited than they are now.

Reactions: Bryson and Toene

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

And after years of hearing how this team was nothing but Price, now the whole narrative changed and we apparently had an amazing D back in the days and that's why Price can't carry the team anymore! Just ridiculous...

I think our previous problems before Bergevin was depth and when injuries occurred, we did not have much to replace guys. Bergevin addressed the depth and we added Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Team got healthy too. It resulted in some good seasons but still lack of offense and top centers.

I don't believe in a Defense making a goalie look like Price but I also don't believe in Price making our D look like a top 10 D in the league either. It goes hand and hand. Both need each other and I understood MT approach with coaching. It was the best strategy we could employ that resulted in 3 division titles in 5 years. Problem is when things got tight and more rough in the playoffs, we were not build to win and struggled

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
We disagree on this. I might of said yes to acquiring Schenn for that price at the time but looking back now, no way I would of liked that trade. Poehling is not a maybe at best and if we made that trade, we would be looking like the Sens. No Poehling and no 2019 1st and a team still with holes.

My point is we did not have a surplus of assets to use in trades and we were not close to being a true cup contender. We were cup pretenders. We lived and died on team defense in front of Price and we could not win any playoff battles.

You talked about Poehling just like most Habs fans use to talked about McCarron....never forget that.
The guy is a long shot from being even NHL guarantee no matter how much some tries to overhype him.
You couldn't get a 2nd round pick for him today either. Not at this point. Look at the top prospect ffrom other team.

He's not even close to a guy like Mittelstadt, Thomas or Bjorgstrom and none of these prospect are projected to be giant difference maker at this point by their own team.

When your team is 1st in the division, you don't sit on your hand waiting for prospect that will help the team 5 years later. You go for it.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
The Montreal Canadiens performance at the draft table between 2008-2011 was TERRIBLE...and that FACT can remain completely independent of Marc Bergevin's performance as a GM in the subsequent years.

Stop trying to make a link between both and then trying to pass it off as my doing. Those 2 things are completely independent from each other for me.

No... these two things are MOST definitely NOT separate or mutually exclusive as you want everyone to believe. All of the players drafted in 2008-2011 busted in horrible fashion under Bergevin's watch. Every...Single...One. This is a fact. How can you take him out of the equation like it doesn't matter?

All right so 2008-2011 draft wasn't great, I'll give you that. You win! Now what? You make it sound like the downfall of the Habs was as inevitable as the collapse of the Ottoman Empire. It's as if 2008-2011 were a huge pothole that Bergevin drove straight into and you keep pointing out SEE THERE WAS A HUGE HOLE as if it were completely unavoidable! Well yeah no shit. Most people would react. They can brake or move to the side.

Ok so the draft wasn't great. We established that but Bergevin also received multiple 2nd rounders which he got in compensation when Gauthier unloaded Cammy, Kostitsyn, Gill and the 5th for Wisniewski which was used to select Hudon. That doesn't include the Vezina/Hart, Norris, multiple 30 goal scorers and 3rd overall, best PP QB in the game and a center that just scored the stanley cup game winning goal. If you can't even build a contender around a team like that without making excuses then you need to GTFO!

Gainey, Gauthier & Bergevin are all the same to me. You guys want to split heirs over who was slighty "less worse"...go ahead.

I don't think it matters, none of them have had any vision that would realistically bring this team a Stanley Cup...they ALL failed in acquiring that elusive #1C, all of them built teams based on having goalies play above their heads for them to have any shot.

You keep saying that Gainey and Bergevin are the same and yet Gainey actually did win a Stanley Cup in Dallas. This is a fact. And he didn't inherit that team either, he literally built it. So your notion that Gainey couldn't build a contender is wrong. And Gauthier actually did some good things too, if nothing else he wasn't stupid enough to let Markov walk for nothing.. he had the foresight to sign him to a 3 year deal despite never having the privilege of his services. No Markov, no Eller = no ECF in 2014.

You laughed when I said that the team was trending upward under Gainey/Gauthier, but surely you don't think the team rebounded under Bergevin in 2013 because he added Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon... right? Right?

Reactions: Doc McKenna

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I think even more important than what you just wrote bolded above...

Is that things we're bad then, and they're bad now...we basically have the same needs, we can quibble over which prospect pool is better, but they're essentially the same in terms of expected impact.

All in all...none of this makes either the current administration or the previous one, look very good.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
6 years ago..

Is Pacioretty not a 30+ goal scorer anymore?

Was DD a #1 center?

Cole had no desire to play for this team anymore! Why even bring up his name?

Bourque was a 20 goal scorer? Is this a joke? He already scored 20 in his career but he was complete trash for the Habs.

Plekanec was solid and he's still solid and on the team but just can't provide the same offense as he used to do.

Gionta is the same as Borke, those guys just declined. Calling them great when they didn't show it on the ice doesn't change anything.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Not getting Jagr was catastrophically stupid.

There always appeared to be an obstacle for the Habs with Jagr. I recall when he came back from Europe, there were multiple threads full of mostly optimistic posts that he might sign in Montreal. I think Gauthier was still GM at that point.

The antipathy toward or unwillingness to consider Jagr carried over to Bergevin's tenure, where he too did not take advantage of that opportunity.

It just seemed to me that it was something other than a hockey decision for the Habs every time Jagr was looking for a new team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
6 years ago..

Pacioretty is still a 30+ goal scorer...one bad year doesn't wipe that out, at least not for me
DD just had a 60pt season? Stop
Cole would never score more than 18 goals in any subsequent season, in fact, this specific year 2012-13, he finished with 9 goals
Bourque was a 20 goal scorer? Yeah he was one, 3yrs before being acquired by the Habs and never even came close after. Stop
Plekanec was a 20 goals/55pts center...we'll probably have similar production, give or take, from Drouin playing the same position this year
Gionta was a 20+ goal scorer...so is Gallagher

Significantly better?

Sorry, I don't buy that...certain elements were better, some worse, for both teams.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well I agree that our team from 2012 was way more interesting than our current roster...

Price 25 years old / considered one of the best young goaltender in the game.

Subban 24 years old / top pairing defenseman

Pacioretty 24 years old / 30+ goal scorer (already)

Eller 24 years old / solid 2 way center

If we had that currently with the current habs everybody would be excited... Instead they stagnated, never traded for another top 6 center, trade away a top defenseman for an older one and here we are.

think:
Seth Jones, Mikko Rantanen, John Gibson
vs
Victor Mete, Jonathan Drouin, Lindgren

Yes if you had these 3 pieces to the like of Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Ylonen, etc. I can guarantee you the fans would be more excited than they are now.

Price vs Primeau: Primeau is a few years away yet but he looks just as promising as Price did when he was a prospect. Will we be lucky he turns into a top 10 NHL goalie? Time will tell but he does look good. Looking forward to watching him at the world juniors this year with team USA. The other thing to note is Price is still on the right side of 35 and he is not melting away. He is still on our team last time I checked. The combo of Price still on our roster and only 31 year this with a prospect like Primeau in the pipeline is something that trumps what we had in 2012 IMO.

Subban vs ????: There is just no one that comes close. This is the major difference. We don't have a grade A prospect on D today.

Patch vs Drouin: Same outlook and talent level.

Eller vs Danault or DLR: Same Outlook and talent level. If you believed in Eller back in 2012, you should also believe in Danault and DLR today.

Gallagher vs Domi: Same outlook and talent level.

Galchenyuk vs Kotkaniemi: Same outlook and talent level. I believe Kotkaniemi is more of a true center though. Time will tell

Leblanc, Dumont vs Poehling, Evans, Olofsson.

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn vs Mete, Juulsen, Lernout, Brook, Fleury, Romanov

Markov vs Weber

Bournival, Thomas, vs Lehkonen, Scherbak, Hudon

Pleky, Cole/Ryder, Gionta, Bourque, Gorges, Emelin, vs Byron, Pleky, Patch, Petry, Schlemko, Benn

Two major differences IMO:
1) Subban. (2012>2018)
2) Prospect pools. (2018>2012)

I really do think we are in a similar situation.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Imo, the 4 bad years of drafting had a pretty big impact on th future habs, no doubt.

On the other hand, I don’t agree that it should’ve had as big an effect as it’s had.

Bad decisions, and lack of decisions is what’s caused the bigger problem.

It’s not about the 4 bad years of drafting. It’s simply the inactive and active decisions that were made during that time and after.

They simply completely misjudged the prospects they had in the system, and made no effort to replenish by trading the valuable assets they did have to fix it.

They sat on their hands while the prospect values rotted away, and the valuable players they had, they sold off cheap, or dwindled their value for too long.

Yes, bad drafting was an issue. Decision making is and continues to be the problem.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No... these two things are MOST definitely NOT separate or mutually exclusive as you want everyone to believe. All of the players drafted in 2008-2011 busted in horrible fashion under Bergevin's watch. Every...Single...One. This is a fact. How can you take him out of the equation like it doesn't matter?
Maybe not for you or others...

But they certainly are for me. The only person using 2008-2011 as an excuse for Bergevin sucking at his job here is you, not me. You keep making allusion to it that I am, but i've gone out of my way several times to explicitly say exactly that it wasn't.

All right so 2008-2011 draft wasn't great, I'll give you that. You win! Now what? You make it sound like the downfall of the Habs was as inevitable as the collapse of the Ottoman Empire. It's as if 2008-2011 were a huge pothole that Bergevin drove straight into and you keep pointing out SEE THERE WAS A HUGE HOLE as if it were completely unavoidable! Well yeah no ****. Most people would react. They can brake or move to the side.
That's an understatement...you'd be hard pressed to go through the Montreal Canadiens draft history since the inception of the entry draft, to find a worse 4 consecutive year performance at the draft table.It was historically bad, teams are able to produce more NHL players by accident.

As far as me making it seem like the downfall of the Habs was inevitable - again, another conclusion you've reached ON YOUR OWN, because you're unable to separate my opinion, from what you think i'm about. Which is some hellbent Bergevin apologist.

I'll repeat AGAIN...

2008-2011, despite it's awfulness, is not an excuse for Bergeving doing a crappy job since. So get off it.

Ok so the draft wasn't great. We established that but Bergevin also received multiple 2nd rounders which he got in compensation when Gauthier unloaded Cammy, Kostitsyn, Gill and the 5th for Wisniewski which was used to select Hudon. That doesn't include the Vezina/Hart, Norris, multiple 30 goal scorers and 3rd overall, best PP QB in the game and a center that just scored the stanley cup game winning goal. If you can't even build a contender around a team like that without making excuses then you need to GTFO!
Well exactly - as i've maintain all along, despite the historically bad performance at the draft table the 4yrs prior to his arrival, Bergevin himself has done very little to build a team as well.

So i'm not sure who or what you're arguing right now

You keep saying that Gainey and Bergevin are the same and yet Gainey actually did win a Stanley Cup in Dallas. This is a fact. And he didn't inherit that team either, he literally built it. So your notion that Gainey couldn't build a contender is wrong. And Gauthier actually did some good things too, if nothing else he wasn't stupid enough to let Markov walk for nothing.. he had the foresight to sign him to a 3 year deal despite never having the privilege of his services. No Markov, no Eller = no ECF in 2014.
I couldn't careless about Gainey's Stanley Cup in Dallas...I don't care about CJ's cup in Boston. Who cares.

You laughed when I said that the team was trending upward under Gainey/Gauthier, but surely you don't think the team rebounded under Bergevin in 2013 because he added Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon... right? Right?
No of course not, the team rebounded mostly because it got back its best skater in Andrei Markov...his presence alone was enough to make that team a contender. Not to mention that it was a crazy year given it was a lockout 48 game schedule, a lot of players weren't prepared to play hockey that season, everything from that year was skewed as far as i'm concerned. The true nature of the Habs wasn't when they were having success through games 1-40 in 2012-2013.

The true Habs was the team that started to show cracks the last dozen games or so of that season and then got annihilated by a very ordinary Ottawa Senators team

So yeah....

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think our previous problems before Bergevin was depth and when injuries occurred, we did not have much to replace guys. Bergevin addressed the depth and we added Galchenyuk and Gallagher. Team got healthy too. It resulted in some good seasons but still lack of offense and top centers.

I don't believe in a Defense making a goalie look like Price but I also don't believe in Price making our D look like a top 10 D in the league either. It goes hand and hand. Both need each other and I understood MT approach with coaching. It was the best strategy we could employ that resulted in 3 division titles in 5 years. Problem is when things got tight and more rough in the playoffs, we were not build to win and struggled

The reason why I keep bringing this to Price as the main equalizer all the time is that according to stats the D and the team performed almost equally defensively for the last 4 seasons.

I mean it's not like he was facing 2 times more shots or something in 17/18, he was just bad...

I think even more important than what you just wrote bolded above...

Is that things we're bad then, and they're bad now...we basically have the same needs, we can quibble over which prospect pool is better, but they're essentially the same in terms of expected impact.

All in all...none of this makes either the current administration or the previous one, look very good.

Prospect pool is not even comparable IMO, and the team is young...

We're heading in the right direction.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You talked about Poehling just like most Habs fans use to talked about McCarron....never forget that.
The guy is a long shot from being even NHL guarantee no matter how much some tries to overhype him.
You couldn't get a 2nd round pick for him today either. Not at this point. Look at the top prospect ffrom other team.

He's not even close to a guy like Mittelstadt, Thomas or Bjorgstrom and none of these prospect are projected to be giant difference maker at this point by their own team.

When your team is 1st in the division, you don't sit on your hand waiting for prospect that will help the team 5 years later. You go for it.

Poehling should not be compared to McCarron. Poehling was ranked mid 1st round and McCarron was ranked 2nd round heading into their draft years. Poehling can skate and has a great 200' game. McCarron was big, had limited offensive, and could not skate well. Terrible comparison IMO.

Not even close to guys like Mittelstadt, Thomas, or Borgstrom? I disagree. Poehling might not have as much offensive ability but his 200' game ability to be a shut down center with some offensive skill is grossly overlooked by you.

Poehling is a fringe grade A prospect. He had a great draft+1 year and I think we got a solid future 2nd line or 3rd line center (worse case) at this stage. If Poehling played in the CHL, he would look very similar to Thomas. Poehling also had similar stats to Mittelstadt in NCAA as well.

Not even close? That is ridiculous

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Imo, the 4 bad years of drafting had a pretty big impact on th future habs, no doubt.

On the other hand, I don’t agree that it should’ve had as big an effect as it’s had.

It’s not about the 4 bad years of drafting. It’s simply the inactive and active decisions that were made during that time and after.

They simply completely misjudged the prospects they had in the system, and made no effort to replenish by trading the valuable assets they did have to fix it.

They sat on their hands while the prospect values rotted away, and the valuable players they had, they sold off cheap, or dwindled their value for too long.

Yes, bad drafting was an issue. Decision making is and continues to be the problem.
Agreed - those years didn't have to have the crippling effect that they ended up having (though it would of been difficult to not), it was made worse by Bergevin's inability to make moves that moved the needle for this team in a meaningful way.

But we can't ignore the impact of 4 consecutive years of bad drafting simply because some jump to their own conclusion that it somehow absolves Bergevin.

As you pointed out above and as I have, several times...

It doesn't

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

And who exactly was the GM supposed to trade?

This whole EA sports-It's in the game thing really amuses me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad