Marc Bergevin: At the End o'da Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I'm sure Bergevin is a great guy to have a beer with and he probably loves his dog because it gives him the kind of loyalty he can't get from the humans under his charge, but "at the end of the day" he isn't being paid to be a good Samaritan and we all know where nice guys finish, don't we? I don't care how much money a guy donates (or in Subban's case, "pledges") to charity. If he can't do what he's paid to do well enough, he's got to go. It's not personal, it's just business. Likeability is overrated. How many dopes have won elections simply because people think that they'd like to have a beer with them? It's no way to evaluate a politician's ability nor is it a way to judge how well an NHL general manager is doing (or not doing) his job. It's nice to be likeable but it isn't a job requirement. Not being a colossal f***up is a job requirement and on that score, Bergevin gets a failing grade.

Besides, one could easily argue that Bergevin was only being nice to Chantal because he was hoping to one day maneuver her into bed. It's as likely a scenario as any other, given that we really don't know anything about him except what we see on TV.
Props for swinging this around to sex. :laugh:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Of course his actions have no relation to organizational policy. The lady was in a tough, emotional situation, Bergevin helped out, and she gushed about it. It wasn't a press release. It was just a sincere reaction from a woman whose life intersected with Bergevin's. Good on him. End of story, IMO.

Of course they don't. You're right. But I won't blame folks for being derisive towards a comment that comes across as PR fluff - which I don't even think was planned. She's worked closely with the team for a long time. I'm sure she feels a certain attachment/had some nice moments with them - because she specifically linked this action with the organization as a whole. She made it about more than Bergevin. Not us.

Reactions: Lshap

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
I assume every teams' chartered flights are packed with regular folks in need.
she was not a random regular person. he knew her & offered her a lift. no big deal. it is not like he rented a private jet for someone he never met before and paid for it out of his pocket.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
She's not regular folks.

If anything this explains why the media have yet to fully turn on bergevin. They are too close to the organization. Who in their right mind would right something negative about Bergevin after he flew a reporter in early to see her dying mother. It's the same reason why Bergevin refused to fire Therrien for so long. Not an ounce of objectivity or professionalism in this organization. Just a bunch of "gang de chum"

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Man, the level of venom in this thread is a real downer. I actually had no idea people disliked Bergevin, which raises the question: Maybe we should have a thread where people could criticize his management skills.
or...threadS

Reactions: ArtPeur

Chr1s97

Jul 25, 2018
Montreal
Lol he was probably just trying to get laid anyway but fr thats a nice story nice move but the team still su** with no Improvement and buch of whole everywhere. Dont bias your evaluation of him base being a good DG on what he did for your personal life Chantal.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Man, the level of venom in this thread is a real downer. I actually had no idea people disliked Bergevin, which raises the question: Maybe we should have a thread where people could criticize his management skills.

Is it ever!

Reactions: jaffy27

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It didnt cost MB anything to do what he did, but it was still a decent act of kindness that he certainly could have chosen not to do. I have no idea about his motives but unless there is proof of something otherwise, I just accept it as an act of kindness.

What is my take away ? Nothing really, other than okay he did a nice thing and he is capable of compassion, which I would have assumed anyway. Moving on.

Reactions: PhysicX and 417

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Lol he was probably just trying to get laid anyway but fr thats a nice story nice move but the team still su** with no Improvement and buch of whole everywhere. Dont bias your evaluation of him base being a good DG on what he did for your personal life Chantal.
1w76us.jpg

giphy.gif

Reactions: Belial

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Good for her... but let's be honest, who, in the position, authority, status of MB, would not have done the same thing.

He did a human thing, something that everyone else in the same situation would have done. My opinion on him hasn't changed one bit. He just proved that he's human. Now he needs to prove that he's not amongst the 3 worst GM in the league.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
One of them

Apparently this is the one where you have to pat MB on the back for being a human being and never mention that he's still a **** GM.

If you want to point out that he's still a bad GM, I think you have to go over to one of the other MB threads now.

Har har boys... I was looking and I didnt see any other "OFFICAL" MB threads after his tilting at windmills was closed... sooo yea

I do realize that Marc discussions permeate nearly every thread .. but hes the GM so I think its fair game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad