Rumor: Marc-Andre-Fleury wants out of Vegas

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I'm likely in the minority on this, but I'd be ok with Fleury coming to Detroit(and I am aware he has a no trade list-but Stevie can talk him over). He and Bernier can split duties until one of the youngsters(or Askarov) emerges from the minors.

Deal #1
Flower(no retention) + 1rd. pick(24-31OA)
for
2020 Edm. 2nd(45OA) + Vegas 2021 3rd.

Deal #2
Flower($2,000,000 retention) + 1rd. pick
for
2020 Edm. 2nd(45OA) + Wash, 2nd(58OA) + Vegas 2021 3rd.

Flame away

This not great for Detroit considering they do not need Fluery whatsoever, he has multiple years remaining @7M per and will be 36 by next season coming off a poor season and fair to wonder if further decline will follow. You have Wings basically paying a fair price to move up for Vegas' 1st and taking Flower for free, doing VGK a big favor while returning little actual benefit

Wouldn't mind taking Flower on and letting him finish out his contract here if he'd waive (which seems doubtful) but Vegas have to cough up more than that imo

Something like Flower + Hague + 2020 1st for EDM 2nd I could get behind

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Since Mcphee is still president, i would gladly take Fleury’s cap hit along Glass for an Extended Max Domi.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well Fleury isn't a top tier goalie, so you're starting on a flawed assumption to begin with.

Why wouldn't they? They're nowhere near the cap and the money doesn't matter to them.

Would bet Bergevin wants to use that money.

They still have Weber& Price and Kotka& Suzuki rising at C.

Hall, OEL who knows

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
For the ones suggesting the Oilers go after him. Why is a soon-to-be 36 year old Fluery an upgrade on Koskinen?

Kosko had better numbers this year, and frankly MAF would stuggle to hit the numbers he had in Vegas this year if he went to a team that's worse defensively next year.

If the Oil want to try and bring in a starter with massive question marks around them, they'll talk to Holtby in UFA.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
To Vegas:
Mikko Koskinen (33% retained by Ottawa) - 3.000 (2yrs)
Columbus 2nd (via Ottawa)

To Edmonton:
Marc-Andre Fleury - 7.000 (2yrs)
Chris Tierney - RFA
Mike Reilly - 1.500 (1yr)
NYI 1st via OTT

To Ottawa:
Jesse Puljujarvi - RFA
Kris Russell - 4.000 (1yr - cap dump)
EDM 1st
1.500 from Koskinen

Lots of moving parts but it breaks down to this...

For Vegas... Fleury for Koskinen and a 2nd. (and 4.000 in cap space).

For EDM... Russel and Koskinen = 8.500 and so do Fleury and Reilly. Cap is similar and they get a huge upgrade in net and a 3C for the cost of Puljujarvi and moving down ~10 spots in the draft.

For OTT: Moves up ~10 spots in the draft, swaps Tierney for Puljujarvi and upgrades from Reilly to Russell for giving up ~ 5.500 in cap space.

For Melnyk... Adds about 2.000 in actual salary minus the difference between JP and CT. It roughly evens out overall

You've put a lot of thought into this but...MAF can't stay in the Pacific if he's to go. Or the Western Conference for that matter.

If I had to guess,
Flower to Carolina
Gardiner (1.5m retained by Vegas), Reimer (850k salary remaining after SB) to Ottawa
Ottawa 3rd to Vegas

would be the trade

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinRedkey

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Lol on what planet is the Penguins window closed but the Oilers window still open?

The Oilers are a garbage fire outside of McDavid and Draisaitl.
and soon for pittsburgh and can finish the sentence right before outside.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
This not great for Detroit considering they do not need Fluery whatsoever, he has multiple years remaining @7M per and will be 36 by next season coming off a poor season and fair to wonder if further decline will follow. You have Wings basically paying a fair price to move up for Vegas' 1st and taking Flower for free, doing VGK a big favor while returning little actual benefit

Wouldn't mind taking Flower on and letting him finish out his contract here if he'd waive (which seems doubtful) but Vegas have to cough up more than that imo

Something like Flower + Hague + 2020 1st for EDM 2nd I could get behind
Fleury wants out. But the trade won't be negotiated with Fleury's agent.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Only to mention in this Discussion he has a M-NTC and we all know if a Player is not willed to cross the Boarder, all Canadian Team stand on the 10 Teams List.
If Vancouver playing on in the current PO, maybe they off the List and he try a last chance with them. Otherwise i see the usual M-NTC List, and it is all Canadian Teams stand on the List.
But which Team can eat up 7 Million caphit and is willed to transfer Goalies. So it will be more or less a Main Goalie swap or a 3 Way. But only from the Cap and current Goalie List, there is not such a big space.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Only to mention in this Discussion he has a M-NTC and we all know if a Player is not willed to cross the Boarder, all Canadian Team stand on the 10 Teams List.
If Vancouver playing on in the current PO, maybe they off the List and he try a last chance with them. Otherwise i see the usual M-NTC List, and it is all Canadian Teams stand on the List.
But which Team can eat up 7 Million caphit and is willed to transfer Goalies. So it will be more or less a Main Goalie swap or a 3 Way. But only from the Cap and current Goalie List, there is not such a big space.

Flames. Let Talbot go and send Rittich the other way. If the Flames want to sign Hall, they need a lot of work on their back end (both Defense and Goaltending). So Fleury with a young player for Gaudreau might work for them.

- Fleury
- Glass
- Another piece
for
- Gaudreau
- Rittich
- Another piece

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
MAF is better than Lehner. Lehner will get cold when winter comes.

If Crawford want 3-4years then MAF(Retain 50%) or take Seabrook, and welcome to Blackhawks.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Flames. Let Talbot go and send Rittich the other way. If the Flames want to sign Hall, they need a lot of work on their back end (both Defense and Goaltending). So Fleury with a young player for Gaudreau might work for them.

- Fleury
- Glass
- Another piece
for
- Gaudreau
- Rittich
- Another piece

Throwing in Glass and Gaudreau? This is ridiculous and...doesn't address Vegas' needs at all.

Why would he? Fleury choked away that game seven as much as anyone. Should love him.

Not gonna lie, Couture's heroics brought them back in that one.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Devils need a backup or someone to split with Blackwood. They almost killed Blackwood with how much they were riding him last year. If they have a competent backup they would hav been close to a wildcard bubble team .
Only thing is they have Schneider at around 6 mil per that is not even an AHL goalie anymore.Spending over 13 mil on goalies is not going to happen .
Any way Vegas retains and what would the Devils have to give up ?
What does Begas need ?
I’m thinking there are better short term answers for goaltending than a complex deal for Fleury but it would be very coo, to have him on the Devils

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Fleury is going to Seattle. It's the only place that makes sense with the size of his contract. They can take a hit for a short period...it's what Vegas needs to give up for them to take him.

Also, this is not a normal year by any stretch of the imagination....there are a ton of good starting goaltenders and platoon goalies to be had.

Lehner, Holtby, Markstrom, Greiss, Murray, Andersen etc etc...too bad for them because NO ONE is getting a contract ala bob/carey

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
For the ones suggesting the Oilers go after him. Why is a soon-to-be 36 year old Fluery an upgrade on Koskinen?

Kosko had better numbers this year, and frankly MAF would stuggle to hit the numbers he had in Vegas this year if he went to a team that's worse defensively next year.

If the Oil want to try and bring in a starter with massive question marks around them, they'll talk to Holtby in UFA.

This.

I'd honestly sooner bring back Mike Smith then saddle ourselves with that Fleury contract, especially if we have to give up anything more than Neal to make it happen.

Hell give me an Anderson/Dell/Elliot for a year rather than doing that.

Reactions: ivanlwan

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
You've put a lot of thought into this but...MAF can't stay in the Pacific if he's to go. Or the Western Conference for that matter.

If I had to guess,
Flower to Carolina
Gardiner (1.5m retained), Reimer (850k salary remaining after SB) to Ottawa
Ottawa 3rd to Vegas

would be the trade
canes get 8.5 million cap hit just to get Flower for two years and no real incentive to do so? I dont think so.

We could sell off Gardiner for a 3rd or 4th rounder and Reimer for a 3rd, it would better than retaining 4.5 million plus getting the pleasure of taking on another 14 million.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

- Fleury
- Glass
- Another piece
for
- Gaudreau
- Rittich
- Another piece

and VGK go on with Lehner for the next Year with an young or veteran Back Up Goalie?
And by the Way when i watch only a single second in the Flames D Contract Situation, they habe no room for Fleury.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
and VGK go on with Lehner for the next Year with an young or veteran Back Up Goalie?
And by the Way when i watch only a single second in the Flames D Contract Situation, they habe no room for Fleury.

If Gaudreau goes in that package, they do have room for Fleury and to sign guys on D with Hall. Tight but workable. I played with it on cap friendly GM armchair a bit. They would have to dump big save Dave and get Brodie and Gustafsson on fair deals. Possibly dump D Ryan as well.

Just an example of a shake up if the Flames want to head down that road.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Was trying to think of a three way trade involving the Oilers and another team like Ottawa.

Vegas - 2022 2nd from Edmonton
Edmonton - Fleury and Nilsson
Ottawa - Koskinen

Vegas gets cap space to re-sign Lehner. Ottawa gets a goalie to split starts with Hoberg for the next two years. Edmonton gets a starter and back up, but still require to clear up some cap space.
Nilsson was already f***in horrible in Edmonton once. No reason to even consider something like this. 7 million dollar goalie is the last thing they need. I think Koskinen is currently just as good at almost half the price.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Lol on what planet is the Penguins window closed but the Oilers window still open?

The Oilers are a garbage fire outside of McDavid and Draisaitl.
I mean, they really aren't, but that's cool.

Are they a cup contender? Or course not. Complete garbage fire? Not even close.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
canes get 8.5 million cap hit just to get Flower for two years and no real incentive to do so? I dont think so.

We could sell off Gardiner for a 3rd or 4th rounder and Reimer for a 3rd, it would better than retaining 4.5 million plus getting the pleasure of taking on another 14 million.

Vegas retains 1.5m on Gardiner. And I doubt very much the Hurricanes are able to move Gardiner with ease.

The 3rd Carolina gets for Reimer is flipped for MAF so they can upgrade in goal. They get a 7m cap hit after moving out a 3.4m backup and a 4m #7/8 D...

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
If Gaudreau goes in that package, they do have room for Fleury and to sign guys on D with Hall. Tight but workable. I played with it on cap friendly GM armchair a bit. They would have to dump big save Dave and get Brodie and Gustafsson on fair deals. Possibly dump D Ryan as well.

Just an example of a shake up if the Flames want to head down that road.

Brodie, hamonic, Forbot, Gustafsson, Stone pending UFA, Kylington RFA. 5 pending Ufa. Flames have current 80,6 Million Cap. next Cap as we know will be 81.5 Million.
Brodie is on his way out make 4 pending UFA´s even if you dont sign a single one you need new one, they fit in your system.
SO even if you trade 6,750 Million out you get the same amount back and you are still have the same Problems. I see no light at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad