Rumor: Marc-Andre-Fleury wants out of Vegas

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Which team would be interested in a 35 year-old 7mil backup for the next two years?
He’s still a starter on a number of teams. Down years haven’t been out of the norm for him throughout his career and given his performance with the Knights prior to this season I could see a few suitors. Teams like Edmonton, Detroit and Ottawa would see him as a definite upgrade.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Probably Pittsburgh because:

1. Jarry isn't proven as an undisputed starter
2. They're trading Murray this off-season
3. JR is a dumbass that likes re-acquiring his retreads

We can in no way shape or form afford a 7m goalie to pair with Jarry. If we could, we would be re-signing Murray right now so the two can duke it out to decide who stays and who joins the Kraken.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Listen I would be very happy to have MAF back. He was always my favorite Penguin. If JR moves Murray over Jarry, I would welcome him back no question.

Vegas needs to take salary back though.

Something around Hornqvist and Fleury?

Reactions: qqaz

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Back to Pittsburgh!
Or maybe some team without a proper starter (like Calgary or Edmonton)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
MAF + a small add to Pittsburgh to buy out Bjugstad makes sense.

Or to Carolina to take Gardiner, retain 1.5m and flip him.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
He’s still a starter on a number of teams. Down years haven’t been out of the norm for him throughout his career and given his performance with the Knights prior to this season I could see a few suitors. Teams like Edmonton, Detroit and Ottawa would see him as a definite upgrade.
I think Fleury is a great fit for a team that has kids in the system ready to play in the NHL but not ready to be the guy every night. Ottawa might be the right landing spot. Whats the cap vs real money situation look like for Fleury? If his actual money owed is lower than his cap hit, sign them up.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Decreasing effectiveness and stats to the point whereby he has dropped below league average, plus a $7M cap hit. Good luck moving him in the flat cap world with equally cumbersome contracts being returned.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I think Fleury is a great fit for a team that has kids in the system ready to play in the NHL but not ready to be the guy every night. Ottawa might be the right landing spot. Whats the cap vs real money situation look like for Fleury? If his actual money owed is lower than his cap hit, sign them up.

It is and he has no signing bonus money, which is another plus. He does have a 10 team no trade though, so not sure he’d want to come to Ottawa.

Interesting idea though. Nilsson would have to head back the other way. Fleury for two years would be ok with me.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
MAF + a small add to Pittsburgh to buy out Bjugstad makes sense.
Pitt would need to shed more than just Bjugstad to afford MAF.

Hornqvist+Bjugstad+4th for MAF then Vegas buys out Bjugstad.

Pitt gets their old friend and some cap space. After the buyout Vegas essentially stays at the same cap but brings in Hornqvist and a 4th for MAF

Hornqvist actually fits the mold of how Vegas plays I think he’d be a good target for them.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Was trying to think of a three way trade involving the Oilers and another team like Ottawa.

Vegas - 2022 2nd from Edmonton
Edmonton - Fleury and Nilsson
Ottawa - Koskinen

Vegas gets cap space to re-sign Lehner. Ottawa gets a goalie to split starts with Hoberg for the next two years. Edmonton gets a starter and back up, but still require to clear up some cap space.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Pitt would need to shed more than just Bjugstad to afford MAF.

Hornqvist+Bjugstad+4th for MAF then Vegas buys out Bjugstad.

Pitt gets their old friend and some cap space. After the buyout Vegas essentially stays at the same cap but brings in Hornqvist and a 4th for MAF

Hornqvist actually fits the mold of how Vegas plays I think he’d be a good target for them.

No they're not interested in expensive roster players coming back. Pittsburgh can move Hornqvist out in a separate trade though.

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
I'm not sure if you will find any teams willing to take on a $7million contract with 2 years left. Some retention is necessary for him to be moved otherwise Vegas has to take a large contract in return.

Looking at capfriendly, his buyout would be $2,5833,33; $3,083,333; $2,083,333; $2,083,333 over four years. I'm not sure if Vegas would want to go that route.

As for value in a flat cap world, it would be depending on how much retention there is, but it would most likely a conditional pick that can slide up or down in 2021 or 2022.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
MAF would be a waste back the Pens. Jary would likely out perform him at a fraction of the cost and it's not like the Pens are still in winning mode, their window has closed. MAF will go to a team who wants a proven winner for a cup run - Edmonton.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We can in no way shape or form afford a 7m goalie to pair with Jarry. If we could, we would be re-signing Murray right now so the two can duke it out to decide who stays and who joins the Kraken.

It would probably be a 3-way deal where someone like Ottawa eats a bunch of cap for some assets.

I'm pretty sure Fleury has borderline no value right now, though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
MAF would be a waste back the Pens. Jary would likely out perform him at a fraction of the cost and it's not like the Pens are still in winning mode, their window has closed. MAF will go to a team who wants a proven winner for a cup run - Edmonton.

Lol on what planet is the Penguins window closed but the Oilers window still open?

The Oilers are a garbage fire outside of McDavid and Draisaitl.

Reactions: PuckerUpDude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad