Rumor: Marc-Andre-Fleury wants out of Vegas

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Vegas trades MAF and a 2nd round pick to Ottawa for a 6th. Pitt trades Hornqvist to Vegas for the 6th. OTT retains 50% on MAF and sends him to Pitt for their 6th back plus a 4th.

OTT is basically a 3rd party here just to retain salary and they get compensated for that with a 2020 2nd and a 2020 4th.

Vegas swaps Fleury and a 2nd for Hornqvist and 1.7m in additional cap space.

The Penguins trade Hornqvist and a 4th for MAF @ 50% retained. They gain 1.8m in cap space

Ottawa paid a 2nd round pick for NYR to eat a $2M bonus on Brassard.
If you want Ottawa to eat $3.25M x 2 years you will need to compensate them more than a 2nd and a 4th.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Brodie, hamonic, Forbot, Gustafsson, Stone pending UFA, Kylington RFA. 5 pending Ufa. Flames have current 80,6 Million Cap. next Cap as we know will be 81.5 Million.
Brodie is on his way out make 4 pending UFA´s even if you dont sign a single one you need new one, they fit in your system.
SO even if you trade 6,750 Million out you get the same amount back and you are still have the same Problems. I see no light at all.

Did you use the armchair GM on cap friendly? I did. It's tight but workable.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Interesting where MAF goes. Edmonton could use a goaltender, but I don't see them helping out the VGK. Retention and a bonus pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
FWIW two Pittsburgh media guys (one legit guy in Yohe, one questionable guy in Madden) just said that the Penguins would love to acquire Fleury if he became available, and Madden said that Vegas may buy Fleury out to get cap space and Fleury would come back to Pittsburgh.

Fleury's buyout is somewhat nasty ($2.6 million next year, $3.1 million the year after and 2 years of $2.1 million), but teams have made nastier buyouts in recent memory. I think the penalties the Rangers have for the Shattenkirk buyout is worse than that buyout for Fleury. I also wonder if the Knights could pay someone else to buyout Fleury, similar to how the Capitals did that with Orpik.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
This.

I'd honestly sooner bring back Mike Smith then saddle ourselves with that Fleury contract, especially if we have to give up anything more than Neal to make it happen.

Hell give me an Anderson/Dell/Elliot for a year rather than doing that.

Would you do Neal for Martin Jones straight up if Edmonton was on Jones' list? Same cap hit for a year longer but since Jones' bonus is paid out for this year, maybe more economically beneficial on Edmonton's end if that matters at all?

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Easy.. if there are offers for Murray, move him

then

Hornqvist to Las Vegas for Fleury (2 mill retain)

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
While seriously biased, I'm on the side that Fleury is an upgrade over Koskinen in Edmonton and as such, would be on board with trade sending Koskinen out and Fleury in.

To Edmonton: Fleury, Riley (Cap Difference: 0)
To Ottawa: Koskinen, Russell, 2021 3rd from Edmonton(Cap Difference: +4.4 mill)
To Vegas: Nilsson (Cap Difference: -4.4 mill)

Rationale for Teams:
Edmonton: Upgrade in net with no additional cap added.
Ottawa: Bring in Koskinen to play in tandem with Hoberg next year as a 1A/1B, upgrade on Riley with Russell and additional pick for the extra cap. Actual cash between Riley and Russell is the same for an owner like Melnyk. From other Sens threads, it looks like they were looking to add a goalie like Matt Murray and while Koskinen may not hold as much value, the cost to acquire him is a lot less.
Vegas: Free up 4.4 mill in cap space to re-sign Lehner and add a backup goalie.

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Why would Vegas ever want Hornqvist? Longer deal, zero space in the lineup declining. They have 3 RW better on the roster and Reaves plays 4th line RW

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Would you do Neal for Martin Jones straight up if Edmonton was on Jones' list? Same cap hit for a year longer but since Jones' bonus is paid out for this year, maybe more economically beneficial on Edmonton's end if that matters at all?

As a fan, absolutely not - economical benefits don’t matter to me at all and Jones is so bad hes damn near unplayable. As a manager/owner, I don’t think Edmonton is in such dire straits that this is something to consider

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As a fan, absolutely not - economical benefits don’t matter to me at all and Jones is so bad hes damn near unplayable. As a manager/owner, I don’t think Edmonton is in such dire straits that this is something to consider

Ok so then is there a way in which that can be done through a sweetener with Jones given where the two are at value-wise?

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Reports out of Edmonton are that they expect to be a cap team so they don't appear to be one of the teams with a mandate to cut real salary.

If anything they're probably a team that would be looking to take advantage of teams looking to offload salary so Jones for Neal would be an easy no.

Reactions: TFHockey

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
So if they could use MAF why would they be helping out Vegas? They would be helping themselves.

They can't use MAF at his current salary so taking him off of the Knights hands would be helping them out.

That's not helping Edmonton. Vegas would have to take Neal at the very least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->