Maple Leafs "window" officially closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
It's the same team as last year, how has their window closed?

Top 10 offence.
Top 10 defence.
Top 10 goaltending.

Can't get out of the first round but they still have the pieces to contend or pieces to trade in order to be a contender.

Dubas won't make it if they lose again in the first round, but the bones of this team are fine.

/thread

Leafs are contenders only if you consider what they are contending, is the 3rd win of the first playoff round.

If you are looking for the 4th win of the first playoff round, they are chokers.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
The leafs window closed when taveras, matthews and marner signed their current contracts. And I thought this before COVID came along. COVID just took the door that was a smidge ajar and slammed it shut.

it’s my opinion, but the leafs will have to wait for mcdavid ufa to be contenders again. They won’t be winning any cups or playoff rounds for that matter with this core.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs are contenders only if you consider what they are contending, is the 3rd win of the first playoff round.

If you are looking for the 4th win of the first playoff round, they are chokers.

Yup they are choker because they are expected to be contenders. That's the point.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It's the same team as last year, how has their window closed?

Top 10 offence.
Top 10 defence.
Top 10 goaltending.

Can't get out of the first round but they still have the pieces to contend or pieces to trade in order to be a contender.

Dubas won't make it if they lose again in the first round, but the bones of this team are fine.

/thread
I think you’re possibly being generous with at least the top 10 goaltending claim

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
At one point, this was a promising team. Looking at the projecting lineup next season, this is a team that might not even make the playoffs. Their refusal to move any big salary in the flat cap has backfired and is mind boggling. They lack any high end prospects with Sandin and Robertson likely on the roster and with 3 picks this year and 3 next year, that won't change.

Utter and complete failure by Shanahan and the rest of the front office turning a promising group into a top heavy roster with AHL depth.
"The window" is only closed atm because it's stinking hot and we have the air on:naughty:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think you’re possibly being generous with at least the top 10 goaltending claim
Andersson was easily a top 10 goaltender for a few seasons. Unfortunately his play fell off just as the Leafs' team defence improved. I don't think they ever overlapped.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Andersson was easily a top 10 goaltender for a few seasons. Unfortunately his play fell off just as the Leafs' team defence improved. I don't think they ever overlapped.
And Andersen isn’t there anymore regardless

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't say it's official but it sure as hell ain't opening wider. Give it 2 more seasons and there'll be talk of getting assets in return for Matthews instead of letting him walk if they don't get their **** together and win a couple rounds.

Reactions: PaulD

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Window certainly isn’t closed. It’s so hard to acquire the kind of elite talent they have. But they would be in a way better position moving forward if their GM had made smarter moves and negotiated better contracts.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Silly Thread, window isn't close to closing yet
Been wide open over a decade ......and you can bet......the leafs are on the verge of winning a round.

You don't GMs and Coaches over and over for near twenty seasons and not get to the promised land .... that coveted second round. Window open.

Stanley Cup? ...... not a chance

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
We are saying the same thing.
Ok.
I thought you were saying the leafs were a Cup contender.
I've never expected them to win multiple rounds let alone a cup. Never expected them to beat the Bruins in play offs .
But I did expect them the beat Columbus in 20 and Montreal in 21. That's the only "choke" by the other wise play off flops in recent memory.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Ok.
I thought you were saying the leafs were a Cup contender.
I've never expected them to win multiple rounds let alone a cup. Never expected them to beat the Bruins in play offs .
But I did expect them the beat Columbus in 20 and Montreal in 21. That's the only "choke" by the other wise play off flops in recent memory.
Most ppl expected them to reach the final 4 this year. They choked. They are expected to be on the cusp of contending ....and choking every year.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Most ppl expected them to reach the final 4 this year. They choked. They are expected to be on the cusp of contending ....and choking every year.
Yea Canadian division . Expected to win that. Outlier.
Nobody expected them to make final four once before that.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
The Leafs have great young talent. You probably just need a coach that can galvanize them to play with more cohesion, and raise their effort level on defense.

I'd do a straight up roster swap if you don't want 'em.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
HF jinxes never fail. I have my popcorn ready. :popcorn:I look forward to bumping this thread in the near future. :cool:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
When 4 forwards take up 50% of the salary cap, it's near impossible to surround those 4 players with a good enough supporting cast to win the Cup unless there are several young players on their ELC contracts playing at an elite level - which isn't the case with Toronto. Their surrounding cast is not good enough to win 4 playoff series, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad