Maple Leafs "window" officially closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
As a Leafs fan I believe that our fanbase deserves a little slack.

For the first time in decades we get set up to have a team that looks like it can ascend to be a perennial contender.

Enter Dubas. The kid treats the team like he’s playing NHL21, kicks out the coach and brings his buddy in to coach the team and in the matter of a year we go from HOF GM and HOF HC to rookie president, coach and GM who work together to wreck our cap structure and create a culture of entitlement and overpayment (without earning it).

One by one we watch good home grown players leave our Organization due to cap reasons and Dubas reasons until we are left with the Toronto Soo Greyhounds Alumni.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

For the first time in decades we get set up to have a team that looks like it can ascend to be a perennial contender.

Enter Dubas. The kid treats the team like he’s playing NHL21, kicks out the coach and brings his buddy in to coach the team and in the matter of a year we go from HOF GM and HOF HC to rookie president, coach and GM who work together to wreck our cap structure and create a culture of entitlement and overpayment (without earning it).

One by one we watch good home grown players leave our Organization due to cap reasons and Dubas reasons until we are left with the Toronto Soo Greyhounds Alumni.

Sounds like the Leafs have their very own Garth Snow and Jack Capuano running things over there.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
When 4 forwards take up 50% of the salary cap, it's near impossible to surround those 4 players with a good enough supporting cast to win the Cup unless there are several young players on their ELC contracts playing at an elite level - which isn't the case with Toronto. Their surrounding cast is not good enough to win 4 playoff series, IMO.
To add to your point, the 2008 Red Wings spent 45% of the cap on four players (Lidstrom, Rafalski, Zetterberg, Datsyuk) and managed alright, and a major factor is two of those players are elite defensemen (not even mentioning the fact that Datsyuk and Zetterberg were among the best two-way forwards in the league at that time). Having a one-two punch of star defenders to hold down the defensive zone and provide more offensive options for the forwards opens things up considerably for the team. Red Wings fans saw what happened when Rafalski and Lidstrom left, where Zetterberg and Datsyuk had to bear a significantly larger defensive burden, leading to less team success.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Bang on.

"Dubas playing NHL21" Perfect.

Lots of us said it then. Lou, Lemaire, Hunter and Babcock. Scary. Add First over all pick in Matthews after a tank. Damn! It looked like trouble for us leaf bashers.
But thanks to Shanny. Those Four great hockey minds are gone. Dubass and Keefe scare nobody.
Leaf bashers worried no more.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Bang on.

"Dubas playing NHL21" Perfect.

Lots of us said it then. Lou, Lemaire, Hunter and Babcock. Scary. Add First over all pick in Matthews after a tank. Damn! It looked like trouble for us leaf bashers.
But thanks to Shanny. Those Four great hockey minds are gone. Dubass and Keefe scare nobody.
Leaf bashers worried no more.
If you think hunter is a great hockey mind I don't know what to tell you. That idiot ruined our drafts and none of his shitty picks panned out. Dubas is a much much much better drafter and gm than hunter.

But yes dubas has been extremely shit in many areas that I agree with. But lets not get carried away and bemoan hunter leaving as a loss. The guy drafted like shit despite his reputation.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I know the statistics, although the divisions make it almost impossible to compare to the rest of the league. Again, I think they’re solid in both areas, maybe with enough wiggle room to be top 10. I’m not sold on the bottom 2 defence, although Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie, Holl were quite good last season
That top four aint in front of Campbell and Mazerek. Good luck.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
That top four aint in front of Campbell and Mazerek. Good luck.
They were in front of Andersen and Campbell last season and were a good defensive team, therefore it’s reasonable to expect that to carry over to some extent. If you’re implying that they’re horrible I’d like to know what it’s based off of, as I’m expecting them to be in and around 10-15th overall in this area

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If you think hunter is a great hockey mind I don't know what to tell you. That idiot ruined our drafts and none of his shitty picks panned out. Dubas is a much much much better drafter and gm than hunter.

But yes dubas has been extremely shit in many areas that I agree with. But lets not get carried away and bemoan hunter leaving as a loss. The guy drafted like shit despite his reputation.
Wasnt aware of that.
OK losing Hinter no big deal. Habs have same problem in Timmins . Mans and idiot when it come to drafting.

But the other three names I mentioned. Lou, Lemaire, Babcock. I dont see how the hell Shanny didnt just leave that trio alone and let them work toward a Cup.
But as a Habs fan, Im sure glad he didn't.

Thanks Shanny !

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
They were in front of Andersen and Campbell last season and were a good defensive team, therefore it’s reasonable to expect that to carry over to some extent. If you’re implying that they’re horrible I’d like to know what it’s based off of, as I’m expecting them to be in and around 10-15th overall in this area
I get ya .

But when I say "good luck" Im strictly referring to winning play off rounds. Nobody should care what the leafs do in the regular season anymore. They are judged in April from here on in.

Cheers

btw - I kinda like Mazareks skill set. He should be the Leafs number one goalie by March.

Reactions: GoBuds14

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Who are these great Dubas picks' that are contributing to keeping the window from slamming shut?

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Who are these great Dubas picks?
Well for one its too early but even then I dunno just our two best prospects in robertson and sandin? hunter made fantastic picks like korshkov - pathetic. Dubas wanted debrincat and we all know how that turned out. And before you ask for sources .. Just google it smh.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Wasnt aware of that.
OK losing Hinter no big deal. Habs have same problem in Timmins . Mans and idiot when it come to drafting.

But the other three names I mentioned. Lou, Lemaire, Babcock. I dont see how the hell Shanny didnt just leave that trio alone and let them work toward a Cup.
But as a Habs fan, Im sure glad he didn't.

Thanks Shanny !
Yeah fair enough. I don't think dubas is as bad as he is made out to be although I am pissed and think he has been awful the past season. But yeah can't disagree with the success lou lam has had since his departure.

Reactions: Fatass

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah fair enough. I don't think dubas is as bad as he is made out to be although I am pissed and think he has been awful the past season. But yeah can't disagree with the success lou lam has had since his departure.
Mosaic mistake by Shanahan.
When you get a GM like lou.......you don't go looking for the next Lou .

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well for one its too early but even then I dunno just our two best prospects in robertson and sandin? hunter made fantastic picks like korshkov - pathetic. Dubas wanted debrincat and we all know how that turned out. And before you ask for sources .. Just google it smh.
So Dubas hasn’t added anyone of significance through the draft, right? Imo Dubas is why the Leaf’s window is closed.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Mosaic mistake by Shanahan.
When you get a GM like lou.......you don't go looking for the next Lou .
I think the thought was lou probably didn't have many years left. Its ironic that we by far have one of the best AGMs in Brendan Pridham. That dude is universally liked haha.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
So Dubas hasn’t added anyone of significance through the draft, right? Imo Dubas is why the Leaf’s window is closed.
I wouldn't agree with that considering he's had like three years and low first rounders to pick from.

I wont disagree with your point that the window closed because of dubas, I don't fully agree but thats neither here nor there. But I vehemently disagree re: hunter better than dubas. In fact if this idiot had drafted better we would have been in a much much better place.

Also that disgust in the first replied to you was meant for hunter not you lol.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wouldn't agree with that considering he's had like three years and low first rounders to pick from.

I wont disagree with your point that the window closed because of dubas, I don't fully agree but thats neither here nor there. But I vehemently disagree re: hunter better than dubas. In fact if this idiot had drafted better we would have been in a much much better place.

Also that disgust in the first replied to you was meant for hunter not you lol.
I think if the Leafs (Shanahan) keep Lou they might have a Cup. He’s a proven winner.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
I get ya .

But when I say "good luck" Im strictly referring to winning play off rounds. Nobody should care what the leafs do in the regular season anymore. They are judged in April from here on in.

Cheers

btw - I kinda like Mazareks skill set. He should be the Leafs number one goalie by March.
I agree 100%, that defensive unit won’t get them through a playoff grind, no argument here

Reactions: PaulD

Mar 20, 2010
Would Rielly be another D that would fetch 9M+ in this environment? If so, that might have an even bigger impact than the overpaid forwards issue in the future.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Dubas ruined us. I agree our window is over. Things were looking so promising before he took over as gm. Sad that a large portion of the fanbase supports doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

What changes would you make, Leafs GM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad