Pre-Game Talk: Maple Leafs vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
He looked a lot better last year though and was buzzing.

Seems off/hurt this season.

6th in shots, 282nd in sh%, 59th in points amongst forwards.

He is honestly not doing that bad, but that whole line can't score right now, a month from now Matthews might be leading the league in goals, that is how good he is.

Its quite interesting that Western teams like Dallas and SJ for example play their backup goalies against us.

Either they expect to lose these games regardless of goalie or they believe they can beat the Leafs even with their backup.

Or they are managing their goaltender's health and workload, way more options.

Reactions: BallardEra

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Its quite interesting that Western teams like Dallas and SJ for example play their backup goalies against us.

Either they expect to lose these games regardless of goalie or they believe they can beat the Leafs even with their backup.

Or it's a regular season game and their backup will need to be able to play some good teams to not burn out the starter.

Reactions: AvroArrow

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Isn't San Jose on a back to back?

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

I'm betting it's the former considering we are a perennial top 5 team

Reactions: Buds17

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

What a garbage post. That took literally 1 second of googling to find, people love to blow shit out of proportion. Our team is also more defensively sound than Detroit, guys aren't squirming all over the place sliding and diving to stop shots, we actually possess the puck and control the game that way.

i remember that sequence and, at the time, thought they were well on their way.

Anyway, at what point do you think they concluded that the sacrafice isn’t worth it? Probably shortly after they signed those contracts. Oftentimes, once they’re accustomed to have money their priorities may change. We’ll see.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I would disagree, that Matthews and Marner aren't playing well together. I think they are playing quite well overall. They've had fewer goals scored against them than normal, dominating possession, playing better defensively, and more physical. Matthews is 5th in the league in shots.... and is shooting 3%. The "struggle" is nearly entirely down to shooting percentage. I have no idea what is wrong there, but if he's shooting his career average of 16.2%, he has 4-5 more goals, and we are 6-1, and the entire narrative and story is different.

Where did Matty's shot go? This is only temporary though right?

Funny enough, we are playing the league leader in shots next game. Timo Meier 42 shots in his nine games. he has NO goals. LOL
Nice

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
We signed Mete, because he's a damned good #9 defender. He's played well for us. Did you watch him play? It doesn't seem like it. How many teams have better #9 options?

Have you paid any attention to Malgin's play the last couple of years? Or the Preseason? You cry that we moved Marchment, who hadn't shown much at 24 with us, didn't show much at 25 with Florida, yet you are mad we are giving a 25 year old a chance, who has excelled overseas the last couple of years? Which is it now, you are for giving 25 years olds a chance, or not?

We don't have a goalie? Samsanov 0.932 SV % 2.01 GAA Did you fall asleep again when he's played?

Robertson isn't in the minors now... he's excelling. Were you aware of this?

Miky? Yes, that one assist and -2 and one hit for 4 x $4.75 million. You don't overpay depth like that, and if we had, you'd complain about that too.

Our record is 4-3. It was 2-4-1 last year, the year we had our best record ever. It would be 6-1 if Matthews was shooting his normal 16.2%, instead of 3% as he is this year.

View attachment 599432
We sat Malgin this week.why? He was tired? So 6 games in he stops performing. Samsonov should be playing this game, I didn't say he was bad, I am saying what the heck are we doing playing a minor league goalie.
Malgin has been a bum....we gave up on MMarchment for Malgin...
Of course I know where Robertson is, pushed out from making the team by Malgin...how dumb. Now he is playing and Malgin sits for bad play....some kind of decision making eh.
Now we have cap money tied up in Malgin.
Our big sighing of the Hyphen bros lasted 5 games? Replaced by Clifford? Hmmm
By the way...I am not crying..but I do not buy your company line bs.
55 yrs...might as well have Harold Ballard back.

Everyone talks about marchment like he was a top end prospect. He was a 25 year old career minor league guy that looked like a fringe NHL player at best. His meteoric rise last season was a complete anomaly that I don't think any of the experts saw coming
Agreed, but so was Malgin, and he us a smurf. Big guys take longer...why else are we trying to develop Douglas and speak so much time on Gautier...we needed size

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
1666889758756.png

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
4th overall 2021
Tied for 5th overall 2020

a 7th + 8th overall finish in the last 5 years

And they will be veryyyyy likely be a top 5 team again this year. I'm confused why you even pretend to be a fan ?
Scott Sullivan ?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Isn't San Jose on a back to back?
Leafs played Vegas on Monday and SJ played the Tuesday with Reimer in net.

Then we play against each other today with backup goalies for both.

Then Leafs play LA on Saturday while SJ play Tampa Bay with both teams playing their starters.

Then Leafs play Anaheim on Sunday and SJ gets to play them Tuesday after us.

So SJ chose Reimer against Vegas and TB, and their backup against Leafs.

Last edited:

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Leafs played Vegas on Monday and SJ played the Tuesday with Reimer in net.

Then we play against each other today with backup goalies for both.

Then Leafs play LA on Saturday while SJ play Tampa Bay with both teams playing their starters.

Then Leafs play Anheim on Monday and SJ gets to play them Tuesday after us.

So SJ chose Reimer against Vegas and TB, and their backup against Leafs.
Game is Sunday

Reactions: Buds17

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Leafs better bring their A game and not think this will be an easy 2 points and not let SJ record fool them.

"Better" is a funny word with this team.
I mean, It's not like the Leafs to take an opponent lightly and put up a stinker ...

I see it going one of two ways: Sharks come out stronger, score first but Toronto takes over the game and wins a close one, or the Leafs get a commanding lead then hang Samsonov (I assume) out to dry in the third and either barely hold on or lose in OT.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
He knows his job rides on how Matthews and Marner perform this season, and doesn't want to upset them by splitting them up.

Time will tell if it was the right move. But this is the final year before ´Babcock was right’ becomes an official slogan.

We pretty much won vs Tampa last year postseason, that call was rigged.

I expect similar level play this season before I yell about Babcock being right

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We sat Malgin this week.why? He was tired? So 6 games in he stops performing. Samsonov should be playing this game, I didn't say he was bad, I am saying what the heck are we doing playing a minor league goalie.
Malgin has been a bum....we gave up on MMarchment for Malgin...
Of course I know where Robertson is, pushed out from making the team by Malgin...how dumb. Now he is playing and Malgin sits for bad play....some kind of decision making eh.
Now we have cap money tied up in Malgin.
Our big sighing of the Hyphen bros lasted 5 games? Replaced by Clifford? Hmmm
By the way...I am not crying..but I do not buy your company line bs.
55 yrs...might as well have Harold Ballard back.

Agreed, but so was Malgin, and he us a smurf. Big guys take longer...why else are we trying to develop Douglas and speak so much time on Gautier...we needed size

Cap money tied up in Malgin? You don't know how the cap works do you?
You are mad about us giving up on Marchment, who had one assist in four games with the Leafs, and yet you've given up on Malgin, after one goal in four games this year. Are you for giving players opportunity or not? Which is it?

Malgin gets another opportunity tonight. Let's hope he shows well... we should all hope for success in any player that's in the lineup. By the way, I thought trading Marchment was a mistake when the trade happened, and still think that. I'm just not obsessed with it, and need to bring it up in every post years later. Win some, lose some... that's normal.

Roberston isn't pushed out... he's playing, like he has the last few games. He sat for a couple of games... the realities of the team, aren't impacted by your inabilities to understand them.

Every goalie in the league, was a minor league goalie at some point. Giving them opportunities, reveals whether they can take the next step. Sometimes it takes patience. Many don't work out, and that's ok. Maybe Kallgren doesn't, and I'm not that worried about it. We are playing San Jose's backup, who has actually been worse than Kallgren. It's not a concern, and we can't play our current #1 every game. San Jose isn't a very good team so far... it's a good game to put him in, and try and grow him as a player.

55 years you've been a fan, and somehow you lack perspective, that not every game is a referendum, and that results after 7 or 8 games don't mean much. We are on a journey to build the best team for the playoffs, and that involves some experimentation, with a bunch of players.

You complain about 4th liners, moving in and out of the lineup, experimenting to see which player ends up working. You seen to have the mistaken belief that Clifford has replaced players in the lineup. He was thrown in for a couple of games, he's not a permanent fixture. Anyone with any understanding of how this works, gets that. Why are you this worked up about 4th liners? It's a situation that will sort itself out. If these guys don't work, they get waived, claimed by someone, or they play on the Marlies and their cap disappears... they get replaced by guys like Gaudette, Anderson, Steeves, Holmberg, who you probably aren't aware of, but are playing tremendously for the Marlies. See that's the thing... we aren't locked into the Hyphen bros., they are simply options we have amongst what... eight players who could play two spots? It's competition. If they don't work.. next, and who cares... They are called replacement level players for reasons, that seem to allude you.

Tonight's projected lineup. I hope you enjoy the game.

1666893057445.png

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
My guess is that the Murray injury is going to be more serious than we first thought, and the management group wants to get a better feel for what they have in him.

He had a good run last year but there was definitely some uncertainty down the stretch after a few weaker games.

I think this is exactly it. They need to determine/ensure who the backup goalie, because Samsonov is the starter.

Murray may become a permanent resident of Robidas island.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think this is exactly it. They need to determine/ensure who the backup goalie, because Samsonov is the starter.

Murray may become a permanent resident of Robidas island.

That's a bit of a tbd situation. If you are correct, and Murray goes to Robidas Island, Reimer would be a pretty good choice for a platoon. He's been decent, is cheap, and a UFA at the end of the year. Sharks aren't going to compete, so it shouldn't matter too much for them.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022

Definitely interesting and history proves many second handsfree store goalies have beaten us. Especially like after 2005 or something like that. We used to be so much tougher during like 1993-2004. Even our management and coaching faces were tough. I'm talking like tuco ramirez Clint eastwood Lee van cleef level tough.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Um, in one of the back to back games like a backup is traditionally used? We're talking about a team gifted with the easiest schedule to start the season that I can recall and they haven't capitalized on it. This game is more meaningful than it should be now and they should be icing their best lineup to secure these points because these are the salad days of the season and the competition gets harder soon.

Starting their backup tonight after 3 days off with the above in mind is absurd and makes me really question Keefe's judgement.
Which one of Dal, Winn, Wash,Vegas and Ott do you find easy?

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
4th overall 2021
Tied for 5th overall 2020

a 7th + 8th overall finish in the last 5 years

And they will be veryyyyy likely be a top 5 team again this year. I'm confused why you even pretend to be a fan ?
The Leafs value as a fan should exceed what their standings are after 82 games. What matters to some of us are how well they perform in the playoffs and their compete level in both the regular season and the playoffs. Even their entertainment level game-to-game. Although many of us remember spurts in their history when all of these were high in level, there have been too many nights in recent years where these have been sorely lacking. They need to find consistency and this will be difficult when their top guns get either sore, neutralized or disinterested and there is not much left on the rest of the team to pick up the slack. Also I wouldn't stock up on champagne right now to celebrate a top-5 finish after 82 games.

Last edited:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Cap money tied up in Malgin? You don't know how the cap works do you?
You are mad about us giving up on Marchment, who had one assist in four games with the Leafs, and yet you've given up on Malgin, after one goal in four games this year. Are you for giving players opportunity or not? Which is it?

Malgin gets another opportunity tonight. Let's hope he shows well... we should all hope for success in any player that's in the lineup. By the way, I thought trading Marchment was a mistake when the trade happened, and still think that. I'm just not obsessed with it, and need to bring it up in every post years later. Win some, lose some... that's normal.

Roberston isn't pushed out... he's playing, like he has the last few games. He sat for a couple of games... the realities of the team, aren't impacted by your inabilities to understand them.

Every goalie in the league, was a minor league goalie at some point. Giving them opportunities, reveals whether they can take the next step. Sometimes it takes patience. Many don't work out, and that's ok. Maybe Kallgren doesn't, and I'm not that worried about it. We are playing San Jose's backup, who has actually been worse than Kallgren. It's not a concern, and we can't play our current #1 every game. San Jose isn't a very good team so far... it's a good game to put him in, and try and grow him as a player.

55 years you've been a fan, and somehow you lack perspective, that not every game is a referendum, and that results after 7 or 8 games don't mean much. We are on a journey to build the best team for the playoffs, and that involves some experimentation, with a bunch of players.

You complain about 4th liners, moving in and out of the lineup, experimenting to see which player ends up working. You seen to have the mistaken belief that Clifford has replaced players in the lineup. He was thrown in for a couple of games, he's not a permanent fixture. Anyone with any understanding of how this works, gets that. Why are you this worked up about 4th liners? It's a situation that will sort itself out. If these guys don't work, they get waived, claimed by someone, or they play on the Marlies and their cap disappears... they get replaced by guys like Gaudette, Anderson, Steeves, Holmberg, who you probably aren't aware of, but are playing tremendously for the Marlies. See that's the thing... we aren't locked into the Hyphen bros., they are simply options we have amongst what... eight players who could play two spots? It's competition. If they don't work.. next, and who cares... They are called replacement level players for reasons, that seem to allude you.

Tonight's projected lineup. I hope you enjoy the game.

View attachment 599507
Great points.

I hope for every Leaf to perform when they get a shot in the lineup. Only positive things can happen. Either the Leafs as a whole play well and win, or the individual drives up his trade value.

Every single GM in the history of sports has made a bad trade, or signed the wrong player.

Very little use bemoaning the fact years later.

He clearly won the Hyman for Biggs deal and clearly lost the Marchment for Malgin trade.

Hopefully Malgin can contribute and even it out a little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad