GDT: Maple Leafs @ Red Wings - 7PM ET (preseason game 8)

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The only guy with real separation from the pack for me is Cholowski. Hronek and Sulak are in the middle. Then Hicketts and Saarijarvi right behind them, not necessarily in that order.

Which is to say I don't really care who, besides Cholowski, has made it. Anyone who didn't make it can go to GR and get big minutes. I'm not worried about it. I'd personally prefer Sulak for his size and skating, but if it's not him I don't consider it a big deal.

I do wonder if Frk has made it. Rasmussen has a spot locked, Zadina looks AHL bound. Then it's just Frk and Svech right? I like Frk on the PP a lot. Real poised. Way more intelligent decision making than guys like AA. And of course he's got a bomb of a shot. And honestly I like the other parts of his game. He's no hole defensively. He's not super fast but he's not slow either. I think he's a decently well-rounded player capable of playing top9.

I'll be a little sad if Frk hasn't made the regular squad.

Great points about Frk. He's quietly and humbly made his case, especially last night. What a frking shot lol. I'm hopeful for Svechnikov but in some instances you straight up go with who's hotter. ATM the two are close.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Wings went an impressive 7-1-0 in the preseason. And aside from all those horrible penalties that lost them the game against the Maple Leafs, they hung right with their opening night roster and had a chance to win that game had they not unraveled. I felt the Wings didn't answer back by impose physical pain and hit anyone in blue and white that had the puck. Had they done that, I think Detroit would have decimated them physically. Wings kids are too young to know when/how to ramp it up to change the momentum of the game. They are being built to physically hurt other teams. And I love it!

It's nice to see the future of the Red Wings they are going to be a force to recon with. This team is back on it's way up. Exciting times to be a DRW fan.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Wings went an impressive 7-1-0 in the preseason. And aside from all those horrible penalties that lost them the game against the Maple Leafs, they hung right with their opening night roster and had a chance to win that game had they not unraveled. I felt the Wings didn't answer back by impose physical pain and hit anyone in blue and white that had the puck. Had they done that, I think Detroit would have decimated them physically. Wings kids are too young to know when/how to ramp it up to change the momentum of the game. They are being built to physically hurt other teams. And I love it!

It's nice to see the future of the Red Wings they are going to be a force to recon with. This team is back on it's way up. Exciting times to be a DRW fan.

With the CBA set up with a very loose definition of veteran, and how teams have dressed when facing Detroit, reading anything into any game that wasn't the first Toronto game is problematic. For the most part Detroit faced teams made up of mostly scrubs, players who had no chance of making the NHL. No one cared to send out their A team against the Wings, because at this point, Detroit isn't worth playing against.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
With the CBA set up with a very loose definition of veteran, and how teams have dressed when facing Detroit, reading anything into any game that wasn't the first Toronto game is problematic. For the most part Detroit faced teams made up of mostly scrubs, players who had no chance of making the NHL. No one cared to send out their A team against the Wings, because at this point, Detroit isn't worth playing against.

Using your logic, pre-season is useless and a waste of time and should be eliminated from happening. To me, it's nice to see what our kids can do against other NHLers/pro kids/tryouts trying to compete for a job. It's nice to see RAS keeping the puck away from NHLs and making a slick pass. It's nice to see Zadina having the vision to find an open spot on the ice for a brilliant lazer shot in the top corner of the net, it's nice to see Cholo skate past forechecks and keep pucks in the zone and make brilliant plays.

I guess that's just me.

With that in mind, why are you even here?

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Crucially though, when faced up against most other team's big guns that did play in exhibition (bar Toronto of course) they did ok. Now obviously guys like Malkin weren't playing for a Roster spot, but to do reasonably well against them AND other borderline players competing for spots at least suggests that our borderline players/kids are comparatively better than in previous years. Its not proof of anything, but there's nothing wrong with indulging with a little optimism when there is some substance behind it!

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's actually interesting that looking at preseason "champions", the last several years they are either teams that have actually done well in the regular season right away or been 1-2 years away from an upswing. Now we're not actually the champion since Canes went 5-0, but no matter how much you want to play the "only the game we lost matters" card, it's hard to ignore that we had so many young players looking either good or great. If nothing else it's nice that we got some optimism before the season starts and our dreams and hopes are crushed. I mean would you prefer that we went 0-8 in preseason and all the kids looked bad?

Reactions: jkutswings

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I missed what happened here. Anyone wanna elaborate or have a video?
spsTzSH.gif

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
It's actually interesting that looking at preseason "champions", the last several years they are either teams that have actually done well in the regular season right away or been 1-2 years away from an upswing. ...preseason and all the kids looked bad?

I thought the same thing, our 7-1 record is indeed indicative of a decent to bright future (playoff team to contender).

Assuming a fairly healthy roster, our upswing will begin by season's end or possibly sooner...no later than '19 start.

Pietrangelo will be a 30 yr. old UFA in 2 years, I'd take a run at him. By then our young D will be more established & probably/ideally properly slotted:

DDK-?
Cholo-Hronek
Sulak-Saarijarvi
Hicketts?

We could even move DDK & go after another UFA in the interim. I'm not sold on Trouba. Which is another reason I think signing Nyquist to a (Maximum) $4.9M/4 yr. deal would help while the young F's find their game & we could package one of them + pick(s) for a #2 Dman, or #1 possibly. By then, AA, Z2, Ras, Veleno, Svech & Berggren have more value.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I thought the same thing, our 7-1 record is indeed indicative of a decent to bright future (playoff team to contender).

Assuming a fairly healthy roster, our upswing will begin by season's end or possibly sooner...no later than '19 start.

Pietrangelo will be a 30 yr. old UFA in 2 years, I'd take a run at him. By then our young D will be more established & probably/ideally properly slotted:

DDK-?
Cholo-Hronek
Sulak-Saarijarvi
Hicketts?

We could even move DDK & go after another UFA in the interim. I'm not sold on Trouba. Which is another reason I think signing Nyquist to a (Maximum) $4.9M/4 yr. deal would help while the young F's find their game & we could package one of them + pick(s) for a #2 Dman, or #1 possibly. By then, AA, Z2, Ras, Veleno, Svech & Berggren have more value.

Wings need to stop targeting aging UFA dmen and draft some stars of their own. Wings might be on the uptick, but they are still a bonafide #1 dman away from being a future contender. They also need a #1 star center that can take over games,. I don't see Larkin as being that guy.

Reactions: Shaman464

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
How about Givani Smith. I'd say he had a really good preseason, was physical, fought a bit and produced. A good start in the AHL will see him play in the NHL this year. Hes probably the guy I was most happy about becuse he seems like such a wild card for an NHL future while he was in guelph

Reactions: mantha39

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Dotter.........As you can see, my D line up has 6 Dmen that we drafted already. 1 or possibly 2 UFA's is only to fill in the gaps...so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Agree on the uptick, that's why I suggested a #1Dman...Pietrangelo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henkka

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Dotter.........As you can see, my D line up has 6 Dmen that we drafted already. 1 or possibly 2 UFA's is only to fill in the gaps...so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Agree on the uptick, that's why I suggested a #1Dman...Pietrangelo.

Wings drafted Brendan Smith, Outlette, Sproul, Jensen and etc....

While we hope the next wave will be better, there's no guarantees any of them won't be the next Jacub Kindl. Wings need a young bonafide #1. Will Cholo be that guy? I doubt it. Wings need to draft their own Pietrangelo.

Going to UFA to overpay a 30-something year old is not what this young up-and-coming team needs as their future core.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Wings need to draft their own Pietrangelo.

Going to UFA to overpay a 30-something year old is not what this young up-and-coming team needs as their future core.

More of exact opposite. You sign a guy in 100% cases if the guy is better than all of your current defencemen.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Wings drafted Brendan Smith, Outlette, Sproul, Jensen and etc....

While we hope the next wave will be better, there's no guarantees any of them won't be the next Jacub Kindl. Wings need a young bonafide #1. Will Cholo be that guy? I doubt it. Wings need to draft their own Pietrangelo.

Yeah I disagree, obviously drafting your own is better. But if the wings are stacked at forward with a high pick this year or 2 and another high pick the year after and are clearly competitive, signing a Pietrangelo can put you over the top if hes the missing piece. If Hronek and Cholwski become top 4 dmen and the forwards are as good as they should be, signing Pietrangelo at that point is a no brainer because no dman is going to develop in time to be a threat while he would be here

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

the Wings were 6-1-1 in the preseason two years ago and 6-0-2 the year before that,league best records both times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad