GDT: Maple Leafs @ Red Wings - 7PM ET (preseason game 8)

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I’m going to assume 2 F and 2 D spots were up for grabs (1 D partially). I’d give the Fs to Rasmussen and Svechnikov and the Ds to Cholowski and Hronek. Hronek can QB the PP Frk is on (if he’s in the line up) and Cholowski can QB the other unit. Hronek gets sent down when Green comes back (unless he excels). Can we all agree with this?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I’m going to assume 2 F and 2 D spots were up for grabs (1 D partially). I’d give the Fs to Rasmussen and Svechnikov and the Ds to Cholowski and Hronek. Hronek can QB the PP Frk is on (if he’s in the line up) and Cholowski can QB the other unit. Hronek gets sent down when Green comes back (unless he excels). Can we all agree with this?

No. From last seasons defense, only DannyD, Kronwall and Jensen will be available on opening night. So 4 open spots. Maybe 3 if Ericsson or Daley feel good enough to be the scratch. I'd send down Zadina and Hronek, waive Jensen and call up Lashoff if both Daley and Ericsson can't go. Might call up Lashoff anyway and waive the other two with Jensen.

Reactions: borisbadenough

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No. From last seasons defense, only DannyD, Kronwall and Jensen will be available on opening night. So 4 open spots. Maybe 3 if Ericsson or Daley feel good enough to be the scratch. I'd send down Zadina and Hronek, waive Jensen and call up Lashoff if both Daley and Ericsson can't go. Might call up Lashoff anyway and waive the other two with Jensen.

I have to disagree, Lashoff is terrible. Jensen is better than him at everything in my opinion...

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I have to disagree, Lashoff is terrible. Jensen is better than him at everything in my opinion...

(Lashoff fanboy post incoming)

Jensen and Lashoff are two entirely different players.

I've never understood the Lashoff hate. He's a big, understated, safe, stay-at-home defenseman, with a good first pass out of the zone. He's not flashy, he doesn't score goals, and his skating is average, but on a 3rd pairing and the PK he gets the job done. He's also pretty good at pinching in the offensive zone to support the forwards to keep the puck deep.

Finally, he punishes people in front of the net with his stick... it's why I like to affectionately refer to him as Slashoff.

I don't know, it's all optics and opinions. I like Lashoff, and I know a lot don't. Oh well.

Reactions: Hinterland

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
(Lashoff fanboy post incoming)

Jensen and Lashoff are two entirely different players.

I've never understood the Lashoff hate. He's a big, understated, safe, stay-at-home defenseman, with a good first pass out of the zone. He's not flashy, he doesn't score goals, and his skating is average, but on a 3rd pairing and the PK he gets the job done. He's also pretty good at pinching in the offensive zone to support the forwards to keep the puck deep.

Finally, he punishes people in front of the net with his stick... it's why I like to affectionately refer to him as Slashoff.

I don't know, it's all optics and opinions. I like Lashoff, and I know a lot don't. Oh well.

He doesn't have the foot speed to play in the NHL. If I want a guy that is big and to clear the front of the net with troubling skating it is easily McIlrath for me. He will have the same problems as Lashoff at times, but he is a big body that enjoys throwing his weight around and protects his teammates.

Lashoff is a big guy. He is a guy I want them to keep in GR and heck make him the C as he can help an organization. But he isn't a NHL player for me. Not in the way we talk about Jensen, who struggles at times but is a passable #6/7 Lashoff really is a good #10 or lower to have in your organization. As the game got even quicker a guy like Lashoff lost a lot of his use.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He doesn't have the foot speed to play in the NHL. If I want a guy that is big and to clear the front of the net with troubling skating it is easily McIlrath for me. He will have the same problems as Lashoff at times, but he is a big body that enjoys throwing his weight around and protects his teammates.

Lashoff is a big guy. He is a guy I want them to keep in GR and heck make him the C as he can help an organization. But he isn't a NHL player for me. Not in the way we talk about Jensen, who struggles at times but is a passable #6/7 Lashoff really is a good #10 or lower to have in your organization. As the game got even quicker a guy like Lashoff lost a lot of his use.

McIlrath is a lot slower than Lashoff and less mobile as well.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006

I haven't seen a lot of McIlrath, but Lashoff is far from a bad skater. I do wish he was a little meaner and more physical because of his size, but he is what he is. Granted he's 28, the same age as Dekeyser, so maybe there's still room for improvement, but meh, not going to lose any sleep over it.

Besides, I always liked his game more than Brendan Smith's, so there's no accounting for taste. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hinterland

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
Definitely only a couple names in that Toronto line up that will be on their opening night roster.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He's a big, understated, safe, stay-at-home defenseman, with a good first pass out of the zone. .
Lashoff to me was the epitome of safe.

But he was the "off the glass and out" guy, not the good first pass out of the zone guy.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
Lashoff to me was the epitome of safe.

But he was the "off the glass and out" guy, not the good first pass out of the zone guy.

His first pass is criminally underrated, because it was usually a safe one... but it was crisp and usually right on target.

Again, just my opinion, but if anyone cares to look back and check, I think you'd be surprised.

(Not that I expect anyone to actually do that. :D)

Okay, I'm done derailing the GDT. My apologies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
You don't win games at the NHL level due to guys like Lashoff. But as a #6 he probably won't be the guy you blame for losing much either. That's really all he was though.

We need players that win us games. The reason we lose so many 1-goal games is because we already have plenty of players that don't make gamebreaking mistakes, but not enough that make gamebreaking positive plays.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You don't win games at the NHL level due to guys like Lashoff. But as a #6 he probably won't be the guy you blame for losing much either. That's really all he was though.

We need players that win us games. The reason we lose so many 1-goal games is because we already have plenty of players that don't make gamebreaking mistakes, but not enough that make gamebreaking positive plays.

I actually think that often times some stupid mistake cost them. Too many soft goals let in by the goalies, too many own goals scored by Ericsson, too many turnovers from careless/stupif forwards like Helm, Nyquist or Athanasiou and just bad defending overall. Defense was a joke and made too many mistakes for the team to remain competitive.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I actually think that often times some stupid mistake cost them. Too many soft goals let in by the goalies, too many own goals scored by Ericsson, too many turnovers from careless/stupif forwards like Helm, Nyquist or Athanasiou and just bad defending overall. Defense was a joke and made too many mistakes for the team to remain competitive.
Mistakes are made by all teams. Last few years we've been a team where it's hard to point the finger at any 1 or 2 players being a massive problem but despite that we can't win. Ericsson, Helm, AA and Nyquist make the NHL roster on every team in the league. And in the case of Gus and AA, they are actually responsible for a lot of the gamebreaking offense we actually create. We just don't have any players that we can truly lean on to be differencemakers on a regular basis, so we play pretty evenly with other teams but they end up with the W because of 1 or 2 or 3 great plays made by elite talents.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Mistakes are made by all teams. Last few years we've been a team where it's hard to point the finger at any 1 or 2 players being a massive problem but despite that we can't win. Ericsson, Helm, AA and Nyquist make the NHL roster on every team in the league. And in the case of Gus and AA, they are actually responsible for a lot of the gamebreaking offense we actually create. We just don't have any players that we can truly lean on to be differencemakers on a regular basis, so we play pretty evenly with other teams but they end up with the W because of 1 or 2 or 3 great plays made by elite talents.

Calling either of Gus or AA gamebreaking shows how pathetic the Red Wings forward core is. AA does 4-5 times a year what real gamebreakers do nightly. Nyquist is even more laughable, he's a third line winger on a good team.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Calling either of Gus or AA gamebreaking shows how pathetic the Red Wings forward core is. AA does 4-5 times a year what real gamebreakers do nightly. Nyquist is even more laughable, he's a third line winger on a good team.

What’s laughable is that you think Nyquist is just a third liner on a good team.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
What’s laughable is that you think Nyquist is just a third liner on a good team.

He was 181 in ppg of forwards who played 30+ games that puts him right at about 3rd liner on a good NHL team. Even being 150th in points doesn't help his case at all.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
He's disappeared after that 1-2 year stretch of good hockey, I don't think it's questionable to argue that he's a 2nd-3rd line tweener seeing as he's a complimentary player.

Can't wait for Blashill to mess this one up /s

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->