GDT: Maple Leafs @ Red Wings - 7PM ET (preseason game 8)

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He's disappeared after that 1-2 year stretch of good hockey, I don't think it's questionable to argue that he's a 2nd-3rd line tweener seeing as he's a complimentary player.

Can't wait for Blashill to mess this one up /s

I think people have become so use to Detroit being anemic offensively that a 40 point/less than 0.5 ppg player does seem like top 6 material.

Reactions: Oddbob

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Calling either of Gus or AA gamebreaking shows how pathetic the Red Wings forward core is. AA does 4-5 times a year what real gamebreakers do nightly. Nyquist is even more laughable, he's a third line winger on a good team.
Like I said, we don't have anyone who does it on the regular.

I think people have become so use to Detroit being anemic offensively that a 40 point/less than 0.5 ppg player does seem like top 6 material.
Or people think top 6 players produce much more than they actually do, especially if they aren't playing with superstars on good teams. Even playing on a bottom 5 team and notching his lowest point total in his career, Nyquist still easily produced like top 6 player from a purely statistical outlook (31 teams x 6 forwards). Now pretend that we have any idea what he can produce when he is playing on a decent team surrounded by more talent and you'll understand why he should be considered top 6.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Mistakes are made by all teams. Last few years we've been a team where it's hard to point the finger at any 1 or 2 players being a massive problem but despite that we can't win. Ericsson, Helm, AA and Nyquist make the NHL roster on every team in the league. And in the case of Gus and AA, they are actually responsible for a lot of the gamebreaking offense we actually create. We just don't have any players that we can truly lean on to be differencemakers on a regular basis, so we play pretty evenly with other teams but they end up with the W because of 1 or 2 or 3 great plays made by elite talents.

Try and waive guys like Ericsson or Helm...I'll pretty much guarantee you nobody is gonna claim. Nobody claimed Zack Smith either and he's much better than Helm. You could also easily waive Jensen or Daley and the result would probably be the same. Did somebody here even keep track of Ericsson's own goals last season? I stopped counting after 3 or 4. Never seen anything like it. With a team like that you can add 3,4 "gamechangers" and it wouldn't change a thing. If you don't believe me, go ask Chiarelli. At some point the Wings have to stop playing AHLers. They also have too many turnovermachines.
I'm not questioning the offense guys like Athanasiou or Nyquist bring...the problem is that they're too one dimensional. 90% of the time they they're picking flowers. Nyquist hasn't improved the slightest bit ever since he got caught asleep by Bolland in OT of Game 7 of the Conference semifinals. You'd like to think that after losing a series by himself he'd hit the gym and watch video all summer long to make sure it never happens again. It surely wasn't the case and it's still not. Athanasiou's allround game is even worse and Helm is one of the best turnovermachines leaguewide.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Like I said, we don't have anyone who does it on the regular.

Or people think top 6 players produce much more than they actually do, especially if they aren't playing with superstars on good teams. Even playing on a bottom 5 team and notching his lowest point total in his career, Nyquist still easily produced like top 6 player from a purely statistical outlook (31 teams x 6 forwards). Now pretend that we have any idea what he can produce when he is playing on a decent team surrounded by more talent and you'll understand why he should be considered top 6.

His PPG is 181st among NHL forwards putting him at the top of the third line. I stand by saying he's a third liner on a good team.

Reactions: Oddbob

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Try and waive guys like Ericsson or Helm...I'll pretty much guarantee you nobody is gonna claim. Nobody claimed Zack Smith either and he's much better than Helm.
That's due to their contract, not their actual ability to play hockey.

This team's problem is NOT that our 4th line and 3rd D pair isn't good enough.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
that would be nice if saarijarvi could turn into an NHL player, even if its just a 3rd pairing, offensive spark plug type.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Honestly the NHL should add a new category to their stats...own goals. Ericsson would be unbeatable. Never seen anything like it. The man probably scored more own goals than goals for several years now. I wouldn't even want the guy on my team if he played for free.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills

There's more factors than that, Ericsson is slow by today's standards and they're both incredibly injury prone. The fact of the matter is their contracts cannot be injured, they play a major factor into their worth.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Our future 4th line should be in good hands between Ehn, Turgeon and Smith.

Saarijarvi is gonna have a good year in AHL.

There's more factors than that, Ericsson is slow by today's standards and they're both incredibly injury prone. The fact of the matter is their contracts cannot be injured, they play a major factor into their worth.
Ericsson is fairly mobile still and both have played 70+ games in 3 of the last 4 seasons. They are definitely not AHLers and upgrading in their spot on the roster doesn't do much for us. Upgrading at the top of the roster is what will make the difference. We won the cup with Brett Lebda on our D. Lebda would easily be the worst D on our current roster.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Ericsson is fairly mobile still and both have played 70+ games in 3 of the last 4 seasons. They are definitely not AHLers and upgrading in their spot on the roster doesn't do much for us. Upgrading at the top of the roster is what will make the difference. We won the cup with Brett Lebda on our D. Lebda would easily be the worst D on our current roster.

There's plenty of NHL veterans who won't be getting jobs this year. Ericsson is still considered a top 4 defenseman on this team.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
If there's one spot between Hronek, Hicketts and Sulak, I'm thinking Hronek is looking like the clear choice.

And I don't know how likely it is that Jensen is on the chopping block, but I think it'd be worth prioritizing NHL reps to Hicketts over Jensen though.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If there's one spot between Hronek, Hicketts and Sulak, I'm thinking Hronek is looking like the clear choice.

And I don't know how likely it is that Jensen is on the chopping block, but I think it'd be worth prioritizing NHL reps to Hicketts over Jensen though.

Hicketts doesn't have much a future either in my opinion so not all that worried about reps for him. Hopefully we can pick up a pick or something for Jensen. Custance has said he thinks there is a market several times. So that is good. But we could also wait a month into the season and move him then as well. I am more interested in seeing Sulak than Hicketts at this point. I don't think either guy is going to do well at the NHL level right now though.

I am not seeing the impressive pre-season Fox Sports Detroit and Jeff Blashill are seeing apparently. He looks like the fourth guy to me, really Vili has been pretty impressive but he needs the development time in GR. Hicketts if we are going to rotate him in and out of the lineup will probably be fine though. I think his makeup can handle not playing every night and alternating with Jensen so maybe that is a part of the thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad