GDT: Maple Leafs @ Red Wings - 7PM ET (preseason game 8)

lucaseider

Apr 15, 2006
mactown
sulak has just looked so good, with the trauma our defense has been the last number of years, it's so nice to see the young kids look promising.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Buddy, you and I are in complete agreement in this one.

I'm pretty confident they will be, though.

Hronek was the guy with the NHL partner tonight and they have talked up Hicketts a lot. Guessing Sulak isn't going to be up right at the start. I do think we will see him somewhat soon.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Hronek was the guy with the NHL partner tonight and they have talked up Hicketts a lot. Guessing Sulak isn't going to be up right at the start. I do think we will see him somewhat soon.

Wouldn't read too much into Hronek playing with a DeKeyser just returning from injury. Hronek's ceiling is obviously completely different to Sulak's or Hicketts' but for now they're much better than him. I'm strictly against rushing prospects...especially if the team is in tank mode and if they themselves admit that they're not confident playing at NHL-level.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Ras, Sulak, Hicketts and Svech will be. Cholo will start in GR with Hronek. That’s my prediction.

With two guys questionable for opening night I think only one guy will get sent down and after what I've seen I'd be shocked if it's not Hronek.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I would rank them

Cholo
Hronek
Hicketts
Saarijarvi
Sulak

Tbh Sulak has not impressed me much. Skates great in a straight line but not so much laterally. Big and great reach but questionable defensive awareness. Solid offensively but not as polished in that area as the other kids.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would rank them

Cholo
Hronek
Hicketts
Saarijarvi
Sulak

Tbh Sulak has not impressed me much. Skates great in a straight line but not so much laterally. Big and great reach but questionable defensive awareness. Solid offensively but not as polished in that area as the other kids.

Is this ranking their pre-season play? Ranking as a whole?

I like Sulak as a bottom pairing guy. I really liked how he instantly has Zadina’s back when he got hit, I’m assuming he would do that for Larkin too. Skates well and I think he is pretty solid overall with a little added bonus of playing with an edge.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

I like Sulak as a bottom pairing guy. I really liked how he instantly has Zadina’s back when he got hit, I’m assuming he would do that for Larkin too. Skates well and I think he is pretty solid overall with a little added bonus of playing with an edge.

I was happy with that too. I was also very impressed with the jam in Hronek's game.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I would rank them

Cholo
Hronek
Hicketts
Saarijarvi
Sulak

Long-term for me:

Cholo
Hronek
Saarijarvi
Sulak
Hicketts

Where I have them right now:

Cholo
Hronek
Sulak
Hicketts
Saarijarvi (though I think he has a good pre-season he needs the year at least in GR)

Now to carry in a 6/7 D slot while being in and out of the lineup I am okay with Hicketts and Sulak being those guys. I think it suits their development somewhat since they are bottom pairing guys at the NHL level, Sulak with significantly more upside than Hicketts for me.

I don't expect Hicketts or Sulak to be around when we are good. Sulak could knock his development out of the park though as a late bloomer with the athletic gifts that he has. Still with what will be drafted and what is likely to come from the last few drafts and hopefully a big name or two in free agency I think Hicketts and Sulak are drawing dead long-term anyway so I am not overly desperate about whatever is decided with them.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The only guy with real separation from the pack for me is Cholowski. Hronek and Sulak are in the middle. Then Hicketts and Saarijarvi right behind them, not necessarily in that order.

Which is to say I don't really care who, besides Cholowski, has made it. Anyone who didn't make it can go to GR and get big minutes. I'm not worried about it. I'd personally prefer Sulak for his size and skating, but if it's not him I don't consider it a big deal.

I do wonder if Frk has made it. Rasmussen has a spot locked, Zadina looks AHL bound. Then it's just Frk and Svech right? I like Frk on the PP a lot. Real poised. Way more intelligent decision making than guys like AA. And of course he's got a bomb of a shot. And honestly I like the other parts of his game. He's no hole defensively. He's not super fast but he's not slow either. I think he's a decently well-rounded player capable of playing top9.

I'll be a little sad if Frk hasn't made the regular squad.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It depends what they want to do.

I think sending Hronek and Zadina to GR together could be a good move.

But if they want someone to fill the void of not having Green on the PP in Detroit, I think Hronek would be the best option for that.

I’d be good with Cholowski and Sulak getting first crack with the team, but seems like we might need a RD more than a LD.

Lots of things to consider, we will see what they do.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Long-term for me:
I don't expect Hicketts or Sulak to be around when we are good. Sulak could knock his development out of the park though as a late bloomer with the athletic gifts that he has. Still with what will be drafted and what is likely to come from the last few drafts and hopefully a big name or two in free agency I think Hicketts and Sulak are drawing dead long-term anyway so I am not overly desperate about whatever is decided with them.

That would be amazing, but yeah, you're right, highly unlikely. Can't be that many examples of undrafted late bloomers that turn out to be anything more than bottom parid d-men. Tanev is all of can think of off the top of my head. Krug maybe also?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Preseason. I liked Sulak less and less the more I saw. Won't mind him as a bottom pairing guy though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad