Injury Report: Maple Leafs' Petter Granberg on waivers, Reimer Lower body?

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I liked Granberg but with Harrington, Valiev, Percy, Loov, Dermott, Nielson, Corrado, Marincin, Holl, and Zaitsev possibly coming from the KHL - the Leafs have superior young defence prospects aplenty.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
A lot has changed since 1994.

Except that some players will develop slower then others but still have a prime that is really good. Now I dont think Granberg will ever have a peak that will grab any headlines but being 23 and unproven at the NHL level should not rule out future success in the NHL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nashville knows and has a strong reputation for developing Dmen in the NHL so Granberg being claimed by Preds a strong team with good talent evaluation skills suggests they see something that the Leafs didn't here.

Leafs management likely believes Frankie Corrado > Granberg and thus the prospect waiver exchange.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Nashville knows and has a strong reputation for developing Dmen in the NHL so Granberg being claimed by Preds a strong team with good talent evaluation skills suggests they see something that the Leafs didn't here.

Leafs management likely believes Frankie Corrado > Granberg and thus the prospect waiver exchange.

Granberg turned 23 in August and without the injury probably would have had an opportunity with the Leafs this year.

We would have to believe Preds picked him up based on last year's AHL performance, while 22 in the AHL or WC.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

yeah that's what people said about Franson too.

they easily could have had a need in a minors, where we did not.
as well as i would think that our new talent evaluation would simply not have had a need for granberg (or hoped - liked Vancouver did with Corrado) that he could go unclaimed, which he did not.

it doesn't always have to be negative.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Granberg turned 23 in August and without the injury probably would have had an opportunity with the Leafs this year.

We would have to believe Preds picked him up based on last year's AHL performance, while 22 in the AHL or WC.

I'm extremely interested in seeing how he does in Nashville, he could be a top 4 guy down the road for them who knows.

sda

Feb 18, 2008

Don't forget this is the team that traded a first for Frans on and then let him go. Nashville has zero depth and the Leafs have several guys that would be 7 or 8 on Nashville's depth chart

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm extremely interested in seeing how he does in Nashville, he could be a top 4 guy down the road for them who knows.

I don't think the estimation or belief is a top 4 in Nashville where they already have players like Weber, Josi and Seth Jones among their top 4.

I think they may be hoping to groom him as a bottom pairing guy to eventually replace the aging Barret Jackman whom they signed as a UFA last summer and turning 35 soon.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I don't think the estimation or belief is a top 4 in Nashville where they already have players like Weber, Josi and Seth Jones among their top 4.

I think they may be hoping to groom him as a bottom pairing guy to eventually replace the aging Barret Jackman whom they signed as a UFA last summer and turning 35 soon.

They could also move out one of their current top 4 down the road to make room, it would be great asset management if they did groom Granberg to be able to take on a top 4 role. You bring up a good point about Jackman though, similar players.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Don't forget this is the team that traded a first for Frans on and then let him go. Nashville has zero depth and the Leafs have several guys that would be 7 or 8 on Nashville's depth chart

Perhaps a little bit of spite in thinking they overpaid for Cody. Who knows.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They could also move out one of their current top 4 down the road to make room, it would be great asset management if they did groom Granberg to be able to take on a top 4 role. You bring up a good point about Jackman though, similar players.

I think the Leafs themselves would have kept Granberg if they believed he had top 4 NHL potential. IMO

Down the road we will see if the Leafs made the right decision between Marincin, Corrado and Granberg. Leafs might even believe that Percy is also ahead of Granberg on the pro organization depth at present.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
I think the Leafs themselves would have kept Granberg if they believed he had top 4 NHL potential. IMO

Down the road we will see if the Leafs made the right decision between Marincin, Corrado and Granberg. Leafs might even believe that Percy is also ahead of Granberg on the pro organization depth at present.

I think most people feel that way, myself included.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He is a bottom pairing guy at best, certainly not top 4, but it is always disappointing to see a prospect you've followed and hoped for leave the organization. More than anything, I think he is a victim of the change in regimes, away from big hard hitting, and requiring more mobility. With the injury, I guess that mobility was even further in question..and if at some point, somebody has to go down... I guess he was low man on the totem pole... we shall see how this turns out, but I'm expecting to be disappointed.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ranberg-as-a-waiver-casualty/article27435187/

List of players at the bottom of this to keep an eye on.

11 out of 18 are defenders.

I think this is Percy's last year of being exempt, and with all the talent they've acquired recently and only Polak to be leaving, they could lose him next year.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ranberg-as-a-waiver-casualty/article27435187/

List of players at the bottom of this to keep an eye on.

11 out of 18 are defenders.

I think this is Percy's last year of being exempt, and with all the talent they've acquired recently and only Polak to be leaving, they could lose him next year.

They won't be losing Percy on waivers. 1st round pick, mobile, smart. No chance. He fits the Babcock mould perfectly, kind of a poor man's Rafalski.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This reminds me of that time we gave away Anton Stralman for Wayne Primeau...except that time, we got something back...I'm not sure what's worse, actually.

Stralman had played in the NHL at that point and I was impressed with his game..

This is similar as I was impressed with Granbergs game as well....he is a vert smart D man who understands how to play D.....something we lack still at both the NHL and AHL level. A victim of numbers and a risk that the Leaf's should not have take.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They won't be losing Percy on waivers. 1st round pick, mobile, smart. No chance. He fits the Babcock mould perfectly, kind of a poor man's Rafalski.

He was a 1st. round pick, 5 drafts ago. Kind of irrelevant now, behind Harrington, and even someone like Corrado who the Leafs have wasting away. It isn't always that the player isn't good enough, it is he has to be better.

Phaneuf, Rielly, Gardiner, Hunwick, Harrington, Corrado, Marincin, Loov, Percy, Zaitsev ... something has to give.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I do not think that the management group thought that Corrado was better....I think they believed that Granberg would not be claimed and he almost did not get claimed....they thought wrong.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

You either haven't watch rafalski play or you haven't watched Percy play.... I'll assume you haven't seen Percy because hes an average skater/puck handler at best. He is a similar player to granberg. Solid first pass, good defensively, and has size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad