Injury Report: Maple Leafs' Petter Granberg on waivers, Reimer Lower body?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Getting Marincin was a terrible idea. Thanks Shanahan :handclap:

Why are you thinking shanahan? That would be like thanking leiweke whenever Nonis made a move. Hunter and dubas said they made the trade because they liked the player.. Not because shanahan told them too.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Good luck to him.

It'll be interesting to see if they send him down for conditioning stint, which was likely an option for us.

I guess the only real benefit is we've opened up another contract spot.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Ah too bad one of my favorite Marlies. This season was going to be a bust for him most likely due to the injury. We will be seeing this guy again over the years.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Mobility and puck possession seems to be priority on the leafs player evaluations.. Corrado being proof, he's a 2 way defender who can skate with the puck very well.

Babcocks theory is if you have the puck, you don't have to defend. granberg is a great defender but his ability to skate with the puck or create offense, is limited. With that in mind I'm thinking the leafs didn't have huge plans for him anyways.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Disappointed to lose Granberg, even though he's not a huge piece. Leafs making some dubious moves lately, imo. First, grab as many prospects as you can, then dump a bunch of them for little/no return. Then they'll say it's great because we're freeing up all these contract spaces. Not sure it's adding up to an intelligent development strategy.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Disappointed to lose Granberg, even though he's not a huge piece. Leafs making some dubious moves lately, imo. First, grab as many prospects as you can, then dump a bunch of them for little/no return. Then they'll say it's great because we're freeing up all these contract spaces. Not sure it's adding up to an intelligent development strategy.

You are so right. We should return to the "intelligent development strategy" we used to have under Nonis, Burke etc.

:sarcasm:

P.S. They are dumping the picks of Nonis and Burke ... not the ones they are "grabbing" recently.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
You are so right. We should return to the "intelligent development strategy" we used to have under Nonis, Burke etc.

:sarcasm:

P.S. They are dumping the picks of Nonis and Burke ... not the ones they are "grabbing" recently.

Hopefully they are more intelligent than to simply be dumping the picks of a previous regime.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014

Thing is none of the prospects who have been dumped are projected to turn into anything of substance. Of all the guys dumped I was most bummed about Matt Finn and even he's in the ECHL right now.

Edit: He may be in the AHL now actually, but still, he isn't looking like he'll reach the potential we were all hoping for when he was drafted.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I liked Granberg but he wasn't going to be anything special for us. He's got great defensive instincts but he's slow. I like mobile defense men and that's the kind of D-men that fit into Babcock's system the best. Granberg would have never fit in well, and personally I'm looking forward to Valiev/Percy/Loov getting a shot. Best of luck to Granberg.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Why the **** are we giving away good young players if we are rebuilding?

We have crap on the roster that are taking away spots for young guys that could potentially be in our future. Guys like Phaneuf, Polak and Hunwick. Now we lost Granberg to the preds. Watch him become a minute eating top 4. We have no problem leaving Percy in the ahl, why not move Harrington down for Granberg?

Lets see, because Granberg is not as good as any of those mentioned.

I would have preferred it that we didn't lose Granberg for nothing, but it was a reasonable gamble to put him on waivers. I wouldn't doubt if he comes back to us before the season is complete. I'm not really a huge fan & we do have a log jam of D that I consider as good or better & not coming back from a major injury. If we kept him with the big club I think he would have been a big albatross around our neck.

Bleed Blue and White

Oct 4, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
We are talking about a guy that hasn't played a hockey game in 4+ months.

It is unwise to have a guy who hasn't played in that amount of time due to injury on your roster without knowing exactly how effective (or otherwise) he may be, so we did the logical thing and tried to demote him to get him some game action.

Ok so Nashville claimed him, however their defence is so good there is little chance he gets much (or any) action. We can claim him back when Nashville inevitably waives him later if we so choose. Not a huge deal.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Yeah, losing Granberg because we traded for Marincin is a minor, unforced error by this management group. I'm sure that it was done on the basis of advanced statistics, as Marincin looked potentially quite decent in that regard on a horrifying Oilers team.

I want to know what defensive system Carolina employs... that's what we need! That was incredible suffocating.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Too early yet. Marincin has been mediocre and Corrado hasn't even played a single game.

Guess I should say the two higher upside players.

Marincin has been horrible, and I really hate him right now, but despite that, I don't know, I do see a solid player in there. There's just something that needs to connect, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Frank Corrado has the highest upside of any of them. However, he has to have done something. He messed up somehow, and is now in Babcock's doghouse.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Guess I should say the two higher upside players.

Marincin has been horrible, and I really hate him right now, but despite that, I don't know, I do see a solid player in there. There's just something that needs to connect, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Frank Corrado has the highest upside of any of them. However, he has to have done something. He messed up somehow, and is now in Babcock's doghouse.

With the loss against the Bruins last night, I'm hoping Babcock is going to shake things up a little and insert Corrado in against the Bruins tomorrow.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
I would rather have Ferraro over Granberg and drop someone like Boyes or Grabner, however Babcock would know the book on Ferraro and must have said "No".

Granberg had mobility issues that will probable be larger after the Achilles injury. Granberg is also a one-dimensional stay-at-home defenseman that is a bit of a dying breed. Toronto could have kept Granberg and demoted a waiver exempt Harrington to the Marlies or keep Harrington up and demote wavier eligible Marincin or lose Corrado back to waivers. Marincin is a more mobile less physical version of Granberg. Marincin also has offenseive upside (not yet visible). I am assuming Granberg's Achilles injury was the main factor in choosing to keep Marincin, Corrado, and Harrington over him.

We have a situation currently where Corrado has not been able to displace either of Marincin or Harrington. Corrado is a typical two-way mobile defenseman. Corrado probable has greater potential than Granberg. Then again it could have been a calculated move that back-fired.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad